Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

A growing and out of control rip-off ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12108
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

A growing and out of control rip-off ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:28 am

It appears that none of the consumer watchdogs are interested in looking at one rip-off that is getting sorely out if hand.

I shall explain:

We all know that parking charges at airports have been serious rip-offs for many years and because of these very high charges we - at least I do - use the off-airport long term parking sites. ( they are much cheaper and give our vehicles good long-term security while they take us and our luggage back and forth from the drop-off points at the beginning and the end of our holidays ).

NOW.... it is the drop-off charges that I want to pay particular attention to today.

The Sun newspaper has recently highlighted that these drop off charges are becoming ridiculously expensive and add up to simple profiteering by the airport authorities.

Here is a headline that covers this article:

"Drop-off rip-off at takeoff;"
    5.50 airport fee blastedRead more:HERE

Well, what do you think of that then ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2520
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: A growing and out of control rip-off ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 12:03 pm

That has always been a bone of contention for me even if I do not fly very often.

I always get the job to take the lucky ones to the airport and I get stuck with the charge when I go out of the short-stay car-park.

Something should definitely be done about this.
    Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Airport rip off

Post by Technician on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:37 pm

Hi All,

A very good point that Paps. I travel quite frequently ( just got back from Norway ! ), and this is something I have noticed creeping in. I think its rife at Manchester too, our nearest 'international'. I too park in the 'off airport sites', and have had some good deals.

Overall they are taking us for a bunch of mugs. One point is that if I have a long journey ( I needed to get to Dover for my sail to Bergen ) I often look on Trip Advisor and get a package and travel the day before. Ie, I got one nights B&B in a great place in Dover and a weeks garage parking for 90 which was great for us.

Another little trick, undertaken I know at Blackpool airport is to bung on a 10 'parking fee' for all passengers when they book a ticket, even if the are NOT parking. This caused a right stink, and resulted in Ryanair removing all their flights...So much for progress!!!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12108
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 28 Jun 2013, 11:59 am

Hi Technician, and thanks for the tips; I am sure that our readers will be better off with that information.

I wish that all of the ROB-users were like you !

That last one is new to me and it is absolutely outrageous.

I do not know how they can legally do that in any case.

One to watch out for in future I think.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 1:41 pm