Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The EU roaming rip-off latest.....

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The EU roaming rip-off latest.....

Post by papa_umau on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 11:51 am

Many of you will already be aware that taking your mobile phone abroad when you go on holiday, or for business, might incur some massive "roaming" charges.

This problem has been at the centre of EU Commission business for some time now and it has eventually received the attention that it has always deserved.

According to consumer champion uSwitch, British consumers have been caught out on many occasions with what is called data charges even although they have not in fact even used their phones.

Since 2009 call-charges have been cut on a sliding scale, but the rise of internet use on mobile phones and tablets has still racked up big bills.

IN a new EU Bill all 27 commissioners have backed roaming charges to be scrapped completely.

One Brussels source said: "By this time next year we will have got rid of all of these charges", and another said: "They could be gone by June next year if the reforms are rubber-stamped".

Which? executive director Richard Lloyd said: "Scrapping EU mobile roaming charges will be a huge win for travellers, especially those who have previously faced expensive charges for data roaming when their mobile has not even left their suitcase".

Good news for all people who need to use their mobile phone abroad and this move will actually encourage more people to use their mobile phones than ever did before.

A win for everybody and simple common sense, I might suggest.

Who said that the EU Commissioners were good for nothing ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: The EU roaming rip-off latest.....

Post by Angie baby on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 11:57 am

Wow, that's a cracking bit of news Papa !

Mind you, it more or less accepts that we are all going to go to Europe afterwards.

I should be so lucky !

I already have problems paying my mobile phone bills right here at home.Crying or Very sad
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:30 am

Yes Angie, you are not alone my dear.

Poverty is striking more people in Britain that ever before and nowadays even the middle-classes are feeling the pinch much more than they used to do.

With wage and pension-rises stagnating, ( except for the greedy fat-cats of course ), and price rises continuing upwards at the usual rate we are finding that our money just does not go nearly as far as it used to.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 04 Jul 2013, 12:23 pm

I think I will wait until it is scrapped completely next year before I take my mobile abroad.

The worst thing about mobiles is that you cannot hide from people that know your number.

My mobile is mostly used for business purposes and I really don't want people contacting me on work subjects anyway, when I am on holiday abroad.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 12:09 pm

All true Zath !

I think I will also wait until next June too as that is when the roaming data charges are to be completely scrapped.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 06 Jul 2013, 12:07 pm

And what about the 5% rise that is supposed to be in the pipeline for members of parliament ?

When ordinary public sector workers are taking a pay cut or at best still getting a miserable rise fixed to the inflation rate why should these people get any more ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 11:12 am

Even although that is a bit off topic it is still correct.

When governments are so keen on holding public sector pay-rises down so hard they should apply the rule that: "What is good for the goose is good for the gander".

These kinds of double standards just leave the electorate with such a bad taste in their mouths that it could effect how they/we vote in 2015.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:57 pm