Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Better off with own-brand batteries.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12186
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Better off with own-brand batteries.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 26 May 2013, 1:20 pm

According to a survey completed by Which? magazine the "own-brand" batteries found in Aldi and Lidl are better value for money than the more expensive named brands bought elsewhere are.

Which?, in their survey tested 32 different disposable AA batteries using a computer to simulate normal drain usage.

They found that while the likes of Duracell and Energiser scored highly on performance, they fell down on price.

The best buy, on performance alone was Energiser Ultimate which cost 15p per hour, but the Lidl and Aldi equivalents cost just 4p per hour.

Duracell Ultra on very high drain, ( digital cameras etc' ), cost 59p per hour while similar AAs from Aldi and Lidl cost 14p per hour.

Testers issued a DON'T BUY warning for Uniross Ultra and GP Ultra.

Well, there you have it once again: Named brands are not always the best value for money.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Better off with own-brand batteries.

Post by zathrus on Thu 30 May 2013, 11:24 am

Nothing new in that matie. I have been buying own-brand and especially Aldi's batteries for many years.

I would just not give the money for the outrageously priced Duracell batteries.

Also, it seems that more people are now doing this too as Duracell have had a few serious multi-buy promotions on the go for a while. They must be feeling the pinch from the high cost of their batteries.

"Hell mend em", I say.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12186
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 31 May 2013, 11:40 am

I do think that the consumers are getting fly for the premium that the "names" put on their products and that is why the own-brand goods are getting better in quality, and therefore turnover, and the designer goods sector is shrinking.

There is just not as much money floating around the economy any more and when this happens people start to make conscious efforts to save on not buying branded goods.

THAT, in my opinion, can only be a good thing !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 6:58 am