Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

People Littering

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

People Littering

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Mon 20 May 2013, 10:08 pm

Is it just me or are people just really not giving a shit anymore about their surroundings? I see people on the street and in cars just casually lobbing bags of rubbish right out in front of them or onto the road. And they don't hide it, they do it broad daylight and traffic stops, in the middle of towns etc.

Can anyone tell me what they teach kids in school now with regards to "keeping Britain tidy"?

It's getting obscene now this problem.

My idea to stem this was a big poster next to roads with a hand held in a certain way throwing a piece of litter out saying "don't be a tosser" if you see what I mean lol? But basically that's what they are.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: People Littering

Post by papa_umau on Tue 21 May 2013, 12:17 pm

That's a brilliant ( and a very Scottish ), slogan Andrew.

Although I think that just about everybody in Britain knows what a "tosser" is. Twisted Evil

Not to diminish this problem of course, as PROBLEM it certainly is, but I think that the mindlessness that is required to be such a "tosser" is and has been a quality of the less intelligent of the population for a VERY long time.

As far as adults are concerned it is just thoughtlessness that causes this but as far as the young are concerned, ( especially schoolkids ), I think it is a bit bravado and a bit anti-establishment that generates these kinds of habit.

Other than tightening up the laws and enforcing them more-correctly, and cannot find an easy answer to this problem.

Your "big posters" idea is one great step in the right direction.

Papa......

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Tue 21 May 2013, 7:48 pm

I just can't get that poster out my mind, I think it would be effective ha!

With regards to youngsters I think you are right it is a bit bravado and I cannot say I never chucked cans into the bushes or fag ends out my window! However people don't even attempt to conceal it, they just lob it right out into the street.

I don't do anything like this now but I think when you are young you just don't think about these things until you mature a bit (I won't say an old git!). It's a problem where I see the only solution is really effective education to try and stem the problem.

I know from a friend who lived in Austria that over there they religiously make their kids clean litter up and 'bin it' from an early age, with education right through school and beyond, plus heavy penalties for littering on the street.

Another problem we have here, is remember the bins you used to see on lamp posts? Well these are all burnt by wee neds, and the bins around the town sometimes suffer the same fate.

I think it's a symptom of a much wider social epidemic of lack of respect for your own surroundings plus the lacking of discipline in upbringing.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 22 May 2013, 10:41 am

Yes Andrew, finger right on the button there.

One.... there is not enough enforcement of the litter laws as cops are becoming fewer and fewer on the streets and the wee neds know this.

Two.... The "education" that you talk about that they use in Australia is much better there than the education we use here.

Also, our kids are not forced to clean up their own mess as that would probably be seen as outwith political correctness and a breach of their civil rights here.

We REALLY need to get tougher with this problem if we want to stop it.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 23 May 2013, 11:48 am

The one that really floats my boat is when dog-owners allow their pets to shit on the pavements and then just keep on going.

Doing it in public parks is bad enough but on the main highway is ridiculous.

Filthy pigs. pig pig pig
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 25 May 2013, 11:47 am

Hi Guys.

I think that this is a subject that we can all agree on.

If this is the case, why then do so many people do it ?

Maybe it is just because they think they can always get away with it.

May we need more litter enforcers, ( not cops ), dishing out fixed penalties for anybody that does drop litter or allow their dirty dogs to foul the earth without clearing up after them.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 26 May 2013, 12:29 pm

That sounds like a good idea to me, Angie !

Papa......

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Mon 27 May 2013, 4:25 pm

Thanks for all the replies and yes defo a subject we can all agree on. Paps you must have misread my post I said Austria not Australia! Anyway no wurries maaate Smile

Ok so I was in town at lunch time the other day and went to the bank. Standing waiting behind a young guy and girl at the atm, next thing he finishes his transaction and proceeded to carry out another transaction that being dropping a toblerone box straight on the ground and proceeds to walk away into the bank.

Initially I wasn't going to say anything but then thought well no I've got to stand up for this else no one will. So I pickup the box and called on him and said "excuse me you dropped something".

He looked round from the bank entrance, hesitated for a second or two then said "Nahhh it's alright". He then walked into the bank and i walked up to the door and said again quite firmly but politely "you've dropped something" and held the box out to him. Being in the bank and possibly being a bit embarrassed he said thanks and took it off of me and sure he got the picture.

He was using the cover of facing the ATM and the corner of the building to drop the box at his feet without being noticed but yours truly spotted him lol!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 28 May 2013, 12:45 pm

Oops, sorry about the Austria/Australia mixup. Sometimes my eyes work faster then my brain these days.

Anyway, I wish every citizen was as fastidious as you were at pulling up a trash-chucker, as if they were it would happen much less. Nobody likes to get pulled for stuff in public that they know is wrong.

Damn well done mate !

Mind you, depending on the kind of punter that he was he might have pulled a knife on you or something. I don't think that most people are as brave as you obviously were.

Papa......

hughh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts : 586
    Registration date : 2013-07-27

Post by hughh on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 8:01 pm

We have many dog waikers going down our road into the forest and many do pick up their dog mess. Which is very nice to see.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 29 Jul 2013, 12:29 pm

Yes Hughh, but as usual, it is the few that don't that spoil it for the rest.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 1:44 am