Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

UK shale-gas revolution...... wishful thinking ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12341
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

UK shale-gas revolution...... wishful thinking ?

Post by papa_umau on Fri 22 Feb 2013, 12:10 pm

UK shale gas revolution is 'wishful thinking'

Hopes that shale gas will help prevent Britain suffering an energy crisis, reduce power bills and cut dependence on imports are “wishful thinking”, warns new research.

Read more about this research HERE.

Recently a lot has been said about the reserves of natural gas that we might have locked up in "shale" deposits under our land and sea and it has been suggested that the technique of "fracking" would be the best way to get at it.

A downside attached to hydraulic Fracking ?

This idea has caused a lot of anger among envirnonmentalists as many people feel that damage could be done to our environment by this recovery technique causing earthquakes and by it also being said to disturb our water-table stability.

What do you good folk think about this way of the recovery of natural gas and do you think that it should be allowed to continue in and around the UK ?

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Re: UK shale-gas revolution...... wishful thinking ?

Post by Technician on Fri 22 Feb 2013, 7:21 pm

Hi all,

Hello Paps, a most interesting topic. I cannot comment with any authenticity here: just my general views. I do not live too far from the Fylde coast where Quadrilla had an experiemental 'fracking' drill site ( the one that caused two minor tremors in the area ).

However we have a strong band of environmentalists and others who are fighting tooth and nail to stop the project from going ahead.

A local group of 'free thinkers' have meetings on a range of 'esoteric' subjects every month near me ( some of them are good, others off the wall!! ). However there is a guy who talks there about fracking who is an ex oil executive, and he is very concerned about the chemicals being injected into the ground. I think more in regard to the long term effects.

One thing I note is that it could be a potential boom business for the local community and create many many jobs. We also need to do something urgent about energy supplies. The prospect as it stands does not concern me too much, but, like all these things I think we will need a lot more research before we know.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12341
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:35 am

Hi Technician.....

Fair comment I think !

Anything "new" like this has to be fully evaluated before it is allowed to go on right across the country. The question is: will it be ?

Mind you, I do honestly think that the attraction of cheaper and OUR OWN extra gas supplies is a very strong argument when we know that we are now serious net IMPORTERS of natural gas, because our own ( North-Sea ), gas-fields are diminishing rapidly.

Sometimes arguments like this one roll right over the environmental arguments because of the points you already raised, and environmentalists have to fight very hard to ensure that this attractive proposition is not adopted for one reason only: profit.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 9:47 pm