Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Instead of being persecuted, should whistle-blowers be protected ?

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Instead of being persecuted, should whistle-blowers be protected ?

Post by Angie baby on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:40 pm

After Gary Walker was threatened with legal action related to his reported 500,000 payout after breaking his silence to allege he was forced out of his job in 2010 because he put patient safety ahead of Whitehall targets I would like to suggest that instead of persecuting such people we should be protecting them instead.

When large entities like the NHS seek to keep all of their problems in-house rather than allowing them to get out into the public domain, I would suggest that this means that many dangerous situations that patients might find themselves in will never reach the light of day and these flawed NHS trusts will just continue making the mistakes that lose lives that need not be lost.

Even Jeremy Hunt, our beleaguered Health Secretary, has written to every NHS trust to warn against a culture in some quarters of "institutional self defence that prevents honest acknowledgement of failure".

Read the full report from The Independent newspaper here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jeremy-hunt-writes-letters-to-every-nhs-trust-as-he-steps-up-pressure-over-whistleblower-gags-8497669.html

Well, do you think that whistle-blowers should be protected or should they be persecuted by the people they report on ?

( I must admit that I have a personal interest in this subject because a close relative of mine died while in the care of the Stafford hospital that is at the centre of this scandal ).
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12201
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Instead of being persecuted, should whistle-blowers be protected ?

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 1:05 pm

That's an excellent posting Angie.....thanks.

Of course "whistle-blowers" should be protected as they are the people who bring difficult subjects into the public domain that would not otherwise see the light of day.

I have to say that recent news DOES seem to indicate that, at least in the NHS, many top people are being bullied or coerced into keeping quiet about subjects that they SHOULD be telling us about.

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Post by Technician on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 4:55 pm

Hi All,

Hello Angie, I must agree with your comments. This is rife in the NHS, and many managers are blinkered with this target culture.
    Patients and relatives are fobbed off by weasle words, or 'we shall learn from this episode' ( they never do ); and nurses and medics are afraid to open their mouths in case of being disciplined. David Nicholson has been exposed as the disgrace he is, and should be sacked.

A case in point though it happens all over, and did to me. On leaving the university, although I decided to go they offered me a 'financial deal' ( not 500,000 though, I wish!!! )and in return I was asked to sign a 'compromise agreement' so I would not slag them off.

There was nothing much to salg off, as they were quite supportive of their students even if some of the HR practices were questionable!!. All these organisations are shit scared of people spilling the beans. Its not right, but as I said, its rife.

Technician

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Post by Parliament.... on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 5:06 pm

papa_umau wrote:That's an excellent posting Angie.....thanks.

Of course "whistle-blowers" should be protected as they are the people who bring difficult subjects into the public domain that would not otherwise see the light of day.

I have to say that recent news DOES seem to indicate that, at least in the NHS, many top people are being bullied or coerced into keeping quiet about subjects that they SHOULD be telling us about.

Papa, The NHS has been funded via a low income tax agenda since Thatcher, so we only get what we are paying for. The real fault here lies with us, the people, for largely not realising that the Tory right wing dont believe in the concept of the NHS, and so the British electorate keep voting for "low income tax", right wing Tory Government's.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 12:02 pm

Right-wing and left-wing politics aside for the moment Ivanhoe I do think that what is happening inside the NHS at the moment, as Angie and Technician point out, has to be addressed.

I do not care what entity we are talking about here, whether they be public or private, I do think that the people of Britain should know EXACTLY what is going on inside these institutions. ( Of course there should be an escape clause here for national security matters ).

There is far too much secrecy built into the actions of the top-echelons of every public and private national service and the way things are we can only depend on the whistle-blowers to find out what these bad practices are.

The fact that - as Technician says - there are even bits of paper that hog-tie the public opinions of managers at the top of these entities is nothing less than a scandal on it's own. Such documents that hold employees in a promise of silence should not even exist never mind be enforced so that this secrecy can be maintained.

The only way that this could be stopped is if central government brought in legislation to ensure that these gagging clauses are done away with and so that people who are trying to improve our national services by pointing out their flaws should be able to get on with it.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:59 am

Surely the most important point here is that companies and public entities should not be allowed to tie their workers up with gagging clauses at all ?

I do get that intellectual property and national security has to be protected, but gagging for gagging-sake should not be allowed. Sometimes the only way we find out about hidden misdeeds is by when a whistle-blower blows his whistle.

This freedom should be protected by law.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 22 Feb 2013, 11:26 am

Yes Zath', that is exactly what I just said !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 11:06 am