Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Commonly used Diclofenac should be banned !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11946
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Commonly used Diclofenac should be banned !

Post by papa_umau on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 10:53 am

It was reported today in The Telegraph that an influential group of academics have shown that Diclofenac, ( a powerful pain killer ), that has been in use for many years has now shown to be liable to raise the risk of heart attack and stroke by almost half.

Safer alternatives exist to Diclofenac, say researchers at the Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, who want it banned worldwide.

While this powerful painkiller is usually prescribed to people who suffer arthritis and after surgery it is also available over the counter in Chemists under the name of Voltarol Pain-Eze tablets.

Anyone who wants to know more about this drug should read THIS and if worried should go to their doctor for advice.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Commonly used Diclofenac should be banned !

Post by zathrus on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:06 pm

That's a bit of a shock Paps as the wife has been using diclofenac for years.

I told her what you said here and she is going to question her doc on that one.

Thanks.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 12:25 pm

Here is the latest on this saga:

It appears that the regulators are now NOT going to ban Diclofenac in the UK as they believe that the experts that have connected this drug to increased cardiovascular disease have "over-reacted".

They say that GPs already know about the side-effects of the use of the NSAID Diclofenac and that each GP should be left to decide if they are going to use it or some other NSAID to treat rheumatic pain etc'.

I guess that we have just got to take in the advice from whoever we trust and then make our own minds up whether to accept this questionable drug or not !

Anybody ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:41 am

Now that's just scary.

That means that we have to totally trust our doctors to always do the right thing.

The more money these people get in their hands via the new NHS changes suggested by the Tories the more chance they are going to be driven by cost and less by the actual needs of their patients.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 12:52 pm

Yes Angie, that is EXACTLY what it means.

I know it is a desirable thing to be able to trust our family doctors, but doctors - just like any other people in business - are at risk of often putting cost before the service.

I have already found out about the drug Simvastatin, which is now troubled with so many side-effects that a lot of people are now pushing their doctors to stop prescribing it, and now we are seeing another common drug that is being highlighted as having potentially serious side-effects and the authorities are poo-pooing the results that a well-respected group of academicians have reported on it.

We are now increasingly being put in the position whereby we don't know who to believe any more.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1169
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 2:52 pm

My doctor has recently taken me off Diclofenac, been on it several years.

It was originally presribed to me for stiffness and pain in joints (Rheumatic pain), but now my stiffness has returned.

I'm also on Simvastatin Shocked !

Mind you, I'm on so many pills now I could be used as a maraca! Laughing

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 12:19 pm

Me too HG.....

I must say that the pains in my legs, ( mostly muscular I think ), have all gone now that I have been taken off Simvastatin. ( My wife has shown exactly the same results ).

Ask your doctor and quote this site: http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/06/20/fda-warns-about-simvastatin-side-effects/

I think it has to be noted that although most side-effects come from the high-dosage use, ( 40 to 80 Mg ), there is evidence that even small dosages taken over years can show side effects too.

I had been on a dosage of only 20Mg, but I had been taking Simvastatin for many many years when I started to get severe leg-pain. A few weeks after I had stopped, ( under my doctor's permission of course ), all of the leg-pains went away.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 26 Jun 2017, 8:07 am