Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

What about the horse-meat fiddle then ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

What about the horse-meat fiddle then ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:33 pm

OK, I am sure that many of us might be suspicious of any packaged foods that we get at ridiculously low prices, and a pack of ten burgers at a pound or a large "beef" lasagne available at a similar price, but, I have to ask..... Are we complicit in supporting these companies like Findus and a few others that have been selling us food that simply cannot be of any quality at those prices ?

After many shops and supermarkets have had to clear their shelves of products that have proven to have been contaminated by horse-meat, that should have been purely beef, we are seeing the government promising to take this fraud to courts here and in Europe.

Here is a Channel Four programme that discusses this subject.

What do YOU think of this scandal and do you feel that this is a serious fraud or maybe just a minimal one when one considers that horse-meat is eaten regularly in France and in other countries ?

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Re: What about the horse-meat fiddle then ?

Post by Technician on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 6:20 pm

Neigh!!!!!!!. It doesn't effect me cos I'm a duck!!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:22 pm

I think the real scandal here is the fact that they tell us one thing and then they do something completely different.

I mean by that that they defraud us by saying on the packet that what we are buying is beef when in fact it is adulterated by horsemeat. That is a direct infringement of The Trade Descriptions Act.

Why even the top-level supermarket, Waitrose, had to remove some packaged "beef" foods from their shelves because it was found to be contaminated with "pork".

I mean, is there anything wrong with finding pork in a burger when we accept that "burgers" were originally called "hamburgers".

I guess that that is only important to those people who cannot eat pork for religious reasons.

Again, it is still a breach of The Trade Descriptions Act.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2520
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:14 pm

Yep, it's fraud. As simple as that.

Hell-mend the lot of them.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 12:58 pm

This saga has become even more shocking because companies in Britain have now also been caught pushing horsemeat as beef.

Find out more about this from the Mail Online

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2400
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:53 am

Yes, and it has now been found in school meals, and in pub grub too !

OK, I guess that as long as the horse-meat that is hidden in what is supposed to be beef does not contain any antibiotics or other drugs given to horses, eating horse will probably do us no harm.

I still don't like the idea that I might be eating horse-meat as I am not a French person, I am a Brit. Oh, and I don't like frog's legs or snails either.

Funny eating habits the French have, don't they ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 1:11 pm

Yes, they certainly have Angie Very Happy

This scandal is getting to be a bit ridiculous too as now they are saying that we are getting DONKEY in our pre-prepared foods. What's worse is that this is happening in Britain and not in secretive European food-manufacturers.

Where is it all going to end I wonder ?

Will we be told next that we are getting cat and dog in our Chinese carry-out's ?

Wait a minute, rightly or wrongly, we have been saying that for years ! Twisted Evil

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Post by Parliament.... on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 7:02 pm

Technician wrote:Neigh!!!!!!!. It doesn't effect me cos I'm a duck!!

Technician

"It doesnt effect me". This just about sums up the few words that have got this country in the dire situation it's got itself into to date, methinks.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

I think that was just a joke Ivanhoe, even if it was in "bad taste". ( Geddit..."bad taste"...."horsemeat"..... Twisted Evil Very Happy ).

Oh, never mind.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 12:19 pm

papa_umau wrote:I think that was just a joke Ivanhoe, even if it was in "bad taste". ( Geddit..."bad taste"...."horsemeat"..... Twisted Evil Very Happy ).

Oh, never mind.

"haw" "haw" Papa.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 11:47 am

The latest twist to this on-going saga is that it has now been found that "beef" meals contaminated with horsemeat have been found in HOSPITAL food.

I would have thought that hospitals would have been much more proactive about ensuring that the food they give to sick people might be totally free from any kind of contamination.

This, to me, just goes to show that the market-led internal economies of the NHS are now being driven by cost rather than by quality, and that, to me, is terrible sad if not a bit dangerous.

Papa......

bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2012-11-28

Post by bowsertoad on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:25 am

So the country has a problem with Horsemeat within their premade meals, and within cooking sauces and the such. I think the bigger picture personally here is that the country doesnt cook for itself anymore. With a lower demand for ready meals and pre made food for the home, we would not have this problem, if hospitals and pubs actually cooked their own food, instead of microwaving pre-made food from Brakes, sourcing the products your self, you would avoid stuff like this, as well as supporting the local ecomony.

The other thing that gets me is, the country is happy to eat mechanically reclaimed meat, in the form of hotdogs, spam, rustlers Microburgers and the such, but telling me its beef when it clearly isnt is a big problem? Ok so the drugs used with horses are not fit for human consumption. HAs any one died? is any one critically ill for eating a findus lasange?

We should allow the government to clean up the mess, install new regulations, and we should as a nation boycott ready meals and cooking sauces, and learn to cook ourselves.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:51 am

I for one am with you all the way on that argument Bowsie as these people just take advantage of our laziness and the speed at which we live our lives.

"Convenience" is now the every-day mantra of the masses and as long as we put convenience first and the correct growing and preparation of the food we eat last, we will continue to get ripped-off like this.

Of course we need tighter regulations, more forcibly applied, but while this government is in charge, the people who make money out of our laziness will not be given a hard time by them.

I do think that the manufacturers of the "convenience foods" have received a sharp shock by this scandal, and at least for the near future they will be behaving themselves. The thing is that if the watchdogs that are supposed to protect us from actions like this are not doing their job, this and other food preparations, may very well slide right back to where they were before all of this kicked off.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 1:32 am