Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

1.6 million hydrogen-powered vehicles in UK by 2030.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12180
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

1.6 million hydrogen-powered vehicles in UK by 2030.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 1:40 pm

A recent government report has stated that 1.6 million hydrogen-powered vehicles could be on the UKs roads by 2030.

According to this joint Government-industry study a number of manufacturers are now looking very closely at the production of Fuel-Cell Electric Vehicles or ( FCEVs ) in the very near future.

Read this report HERE.

These vehicles would be powered by a high-efficiency fuel-cell which would get it's electric power from the conversion of hydrogen gas to electricity.

This is great news to me as I have been looking forward to this so-called Hydrogen Revolution since it was first considered a good number of years ago.

For a long time now the technology connected with the production, storage and delivery of gaseous hydrogen was only at the experimental stages and the efficiency of fuel-cells run on gaseous hydrogen, ( as opposed to liquid hydrogen ), was rather poor, but now as we find new, safer and more efficient ways to produce, store and deliver hydrogen gas to our forecourts, and hydrogen-burning fuel cells have improved to exceptional efficiency this dream of mine is finally coming to fruition.

Hydrogen fuel-cell electric cars and commercial vehicles would have to be able to compete with good diesel-engined and purely battery-electric or electric-hybrid vehicles for them to become common on our roads and this latest report indicates that this is now becoming the case.

Any questions ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: 1.6 million hydrogen-powered vehicles in UK by 2030.

Post by zathrus on Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

Sounds great the way that you tell the story, but I worry that hydrogen is just too dangerous to run cars and lorries and buses on.

And, where would they get all of the hydrogen from ?

I mean, yes it is found in water but there needs to a be a lot of power used to extract it by hydrolysis, does there not ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:32 pm

The thing is that that is one of those common misconceptions that many people jump to. In fact the storing and using of hydrogen gas is no more dangerous than the storing of petrol or LPG for using in cars and lorries etc' might be.

Hydrogen gas, nevertheless has one bad, ( or good quality, depending on how you look at it ), that has to be overcome as far as it's storage and use is concerned and that is that it's atomic molecule is so small that it can pass through many materials that are used traditionally for the storage and delivery of petrol and LPG. This problem is being overcome by the introduction of new seals on pipelines and by using different materials to hold it in. This is not an insurmountable problem which might/could stop the use of hydrogen gas in the future.

There are a number of ways that hydrogen can be produced from water and not all of them are by the use of hydrolysis. ( Find out more about this HERE ).

One idea that I have had for the carrying out of this task is by having some or all of the hydrogen-producing plants on or around the equator, where the sun shines almost every day and all day, where this sunshine could be used to generate electricity by the use of photo-voltaic cells.

Once this power is available, then electrolysis, ( as one choice. Another recently-found method is to force widely-available methane through a special "hydrogen transport membrane" where it separates-out the hydrogen found in methane ), could be used to split water into it's two atoms of hydrogen and oxygen and both of these gasses could then be used for many purposes. ( Incidentally, because an abundance of water would be needed for this process, these hydrogen-gas making plants would have to be sited near large bodies of water ).

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2423
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 12:50 pm

You what ?

Sorry Papa, but most of that went right over the top of my head.

Sounds a bit like science fiction to me.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm

Sorry Angie if I went a bit "techie", ( nurdie ), there but this is a pet subject of mine which I have been studying for many years.

Save to say that even our government think that very soon these Fuel-cell-electric-vehicles or ( FCEVs ), are going to be overtaking the purely battery-electric vehicles or ( BEVs ), or even the plug-in electric/petrol hybrid vehicles, ( BEHVs ), as modern options to internal combustion engined vehicles that depend on fossil-fuels to run on at the moment.

As an environmentalist I have been hoping that the Hydrogen Revolution would come to fruition ASAP and I have been disappointed that this has not happened more quickly than it has.

NOW... and at last, there are moves afoot by many companies and visionaries where this is coming to a marketplace near you any day now.

HERE is a discussion from the Stanford University that examines this new idea and which shows that there is no reason why we should not be able to move over to this new motive-power if it is presented to us at a level that is cheap enough and common enough for most of us to latch on to.

This discussion says not that it might happen but that it will happen in the near future because, many of the previous problems that were attached to the use of hydrogen as a motive-fuel have now been overcome.

I was wondering if anybody else here - like me - might be interested in this next step in automotive energy ?

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:32 pm