Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Nick Clegg under pressure to quit.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Nick Clegg under pressure to quit.

Post by Angie baby on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 1:11 pm

I don't take a lot of notice of politics, but found this little bit in my newspaper this morning, which made me wonder:

It was published that a group of senior Lib Dems have said that their present 57 MPs could be slashed to just 17 when the nation goes to the polls in 2015.

It was felt by these people that Nick Clegg should quit as the Liberal Democrat leader over fears that the party face an election meltdown.

One MP said that "It would be madness to let Clegg stay in charge until the election".

"He has to go !"
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Nick Clegg under pressure to quit.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 21 Jan 2013, 12:05 pm

Yes my dear, even although you are not a "political animal" you are right that Nick Clegg's tombstone epitaph will be..... "He single-handedly destroyed the Liberal Democrat party".

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2610
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

Correct me if I am wrong here, but if Clegg gets the boot or resigns from his coalition job of Deputy Prime Minister, would that not force a general election ?
    bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2012-11-28

Post by bowsertoad on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:35 pm

Not to sure about the rules set with the condem party, it possibly would, but the likely hood of Clegg quiting is slim. He is the MP for my ward, and there is still a strong support for the gent in the sheffield area, Personally as a paid up member he needs to think about leaving, or at least pulling out of the CONdem situation to rebiuld his party that he has, in no excusiable way set the lib dems back 50 years.

The problem we have is, there really isnt any one else other then cable that could lead the party
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

Yes Bowsie, that is the way that he should look at it.

Personally, I used to like Nick Clegg quite a bit before the Liberal Democrats threw in with the Tories, but now that they have virtually committed political suicide by being connected to the Tories, and enabling them, I am afraid that Clegg and all of his political skills are now going to be lost as the Lib-Dems go down the tubes and his political career comes to a sickening crunch.

Papa......

bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by bowsertoad on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 2:50 pm

I dont think it is down the tube, but it has deffo put us back before ashdown and kennedy were in charge and in a small way Menzies campbell, cable should be given another chance if it was my choice, and clegg needs to slide of, and buy his torie membership
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 3:20 pm

Yes mate, only a strong lurch back to their original political roots will save the Liberal Democrats from fading into oblivion in the future.

The Lib-Dems of old were politically left-of-centre but now they are seen as lickspittle Tories from way over on the right.

Clegg must have known that this was the only result that could come from forming a partnership with a party that are fundamentally opposite to the original ethos of basic Liberal-Democrat values.

Papa......

bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by bowsertoad on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

It is a real shame to be honest, because when he was elected to the leader in 2007, the thought was we have finally got someone to take us to the second party level, this man will biuldou r party to the place it should be.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 26 Jan 2013, 12:26 pm

By your "our" inflection it seems that you were once a Liberal Democrat supporter ?

I have to agree with you that Clegg had amazing potential when he first came to the leadership of the party, but he has destroyed himself and his future by hanging on to the Tory coat-tails.

This IS truly sad !

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Cleg to Go

Post by Technician on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

Hi all,

Must agree. I don't think the fellow is stupid, but he is definately not linking into the puiblic mood. The problem he has is that he is up the EU backside, and that alone will ensure him and his party will never get a sniff in.

Also notice Cameron (who is starting to get a whif of how the public are feeling) is promising an EU referendum. Not that he wants one; but he is trying to save the Tories and is running scared of UKIP. The 2017 date will screw him and his party at the next election. Just one of many nails he is driving into the coalition coffin.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:15 pm

So true Technician !

Is it not weird that a party that is more hard right-wing than the Tory back-benchers are, ( as far as Europe is concerned ), is the party that is going to do the Tories the greatest amount of damage at the next GE ?

Poor ole Cameron,....he is truly caught between a rock and a hard place !

Papa......

bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by bowsertoad on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:20 pm

Personally, this is a good thing for the country if it is done correctly, the common market has not worked, and there are countries dragging other countries down the credit rating scale, the problem we have is it will not be the deal that will benefit the British public, there will be a under the table brown envelope passed and we will be screwed over.

UKIP do have a strong chance of ousting the Lib dems as the third party. I am going to give them a considerable amount of research and time, as I am disillusioned with my own party, I feel that I dont want to abandon ship, but I dont want to throw away my vote.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:24 pm

AND.... a lot of British people are going to be thinking like you Bowsie at the next general election, and the Tories are TERRIFIED of the outcome.

It looks as if you have a new ally here technician ! Cool

Papa......

bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by bowsertoad on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm

I will do some serious research, I dont like the toad who is in charge, he looks like he has been working in a office for 30 years, while smoking 4o a day in the office. I dont trust him, but I will read the last manifesto for 2010 and 2012, and see if i agree with more then I disagree, but watch this space technician, I will be up for a debate once I have done the research

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm