Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Is the queen going to let Charlie die before abdicating ?

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Is the queen going to let Charlie die before abdicating ?

Post by zathrus on Sun 25 Nov 2012, 1:38 pm

In a rare interview Prince Charles has hinted that he is "running out of time" and that if things don't change quickly he may never be king at all.

I found this report in the Telgraph, of all places: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-charles/9700402/Prince-Charles-Im-running-out-of-time.html

Well folks, if you are royalists, do you think that this is going to be the case or do you not give a damn, if you are not royalists ?

Personally, I think that the old queen should get out of the way and give Charlie-boy a crack at trying on the big crown, don't you ?
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Re: Is the queen going to let Charlie die before abdicating ?

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:59 pm

OMG! You mean you seriously couldn't figure this one out? Paps? How long ago did I say that one of the Boys would be King and Chuck would never sit? Jeez. Even the Stupid American figured that one out back before he married Diana.
    Tuppence
    Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

The queen

Post by Technician on Sun 25 Nov 2012, 6:12 pm

Hi All,

Well Zath, what the 'Royals do' is of no interest to me at all. The question is interesting though. I think she should get out the way now as Charles is itching for a go, but I don't think it will ever happen.

If it as up to me I would try and bring back Oliver Cromwell !!

Technician

Post by Guest on Sun 25 Nov 2012, 6:21 pm

I'm more a Guy Fawkes man myself tech!

Clapco
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Sun 25 Nov 2012, 6:25 pm

Screw Cromwell, bring back either Disreali, Churchill or, better yet if we are digging up Historical figures-Bring BAck Richard III!!! Empress Maude anyone?
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Mon 26 Nov 2012, 12:18 pm

Now you are just clutching at straws Tuppence.

Anyway.....

I am anything BUT a royalist as I would far rather see Britain changing to a Republic than hanging on with the very expensive Royal Family.

That aside - if the royals must stay - I still think that Queen Elizabeth should have the grace to step aside for her eldest son to have a wee crack at the "head-of-state" job as there is nothing to say that she cannot do this.

Mind you I also believe that she has no plans to step aside for Charlie-boy and if William is going to be the next king both his grandmother and his dad are going to have to kick the bucket first.

The royals ARE individually a grippy lot and that has never changed since we had our very first monarchy.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 26 Nov 2012, 12:40 pm

Expensive? Not really. Have said it before. 63p per day. Thats what it costs you to keep Queen and country together. Considering what they bring in in tourist money it's a really not a bad deal. Insofar as the Republic idea-Britian would no more be able to keep it than we were so keep what you have and thank whatever gods there be.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 11:55 am

I know that like many foreigners you are a bit of a Royalist and Anglophile Tuppence, but I think that you may change your tune if ever you had to really live here.

The money that is taken off the British people to pay for the monarchy is called The Civil List and it is currently running at 41.5 million a year.

Read more about it HERE.

When one considers that all of the royals in Britain are extremely rich in their own right and that the queen, in particular, is the richest woman in the world, I find it a bit galling that that 41.5 millions could and should be spent in many better ways than it is.

The defenders of the crown always quote that they are good for tourism but in fact they would be even better if they did not cost us all that 41.5 million every year as they would still be a good attraction if they were forced to pay for themselves from those riches.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 12:37 pm

I am a bit confused. Queen Elizabeth owns Walmart? Sam Waltons widow is the Richest Woman in the world and his daughter is #3 on the list. Paps I hate to clue you but she doesnt actually even make the top 20 richest women. True she could buy an island somewhere, staff it and b set for life but far from richest. The Royals are as much a symbol of Britain as the Union Jack. Tell ya what-send us the Royals n take our Prez Congress senate and etc. even trade. Or better yet-since you are so damned fired up about Obs n Co-we can do an even trade you n Jean for me n mine. We can be packed in an hour. Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 12:50 pm

I think that you are just counting cash my dear, but if the queen's riches including her property and land portfolio and her jewels and her artwork ownership PLUS the money that she has in the bank - of which we actually know very little - and the income she gets from her estates is calculated into her richness, I think you will find that she will blow away the Walmart family.

Nobody REALLY knows how rich she is but a few clever people have tried to figure this out and each time they do try to make such a calculation she comes out as EASILY the richest woman in the world.

Then again, as a lot of her financial worth is hard to quantify this will always have to remain a calculated guess.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 12:57 pm

Lol. Sweetie, that IS her personal fortune. 90% of her jewels and property belong to Britain not to her. the Walton fortune is in the mega Billions. Poor Lizzie is a mere millionaire. Tuppence PS should we pack or what?

Post by Guest on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:55 am

He never was any good at Math Tuppence - you are right though!

CC
    Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Royals

Post by Technician on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 11:18 am

Hi All

Tuppence,

Despite all your 'woes' over in the USA ( I love the place myself, but then I don't live there !) you at least have the option of VOTING for your president. They cannot stay for longer than two terms can they not. With the ROYALS we have em for life!!.

A bunch of pampered individuals devoid from the realities of the real world.

You are welcome to em.

Oh, so democratic are we in the UK, that if I had said that in the past I may well have found myself banged up in the Tower of London !!! ( may still do !)

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 11:24 am

As I originally said Tuppence, it is almost impossible to know EXACTLY how rich Queen Elizabeth is because much of her riches are hidden from public view.

HERE is just one of those "guesses" that have been published on the subject.

Papa......

bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2012-11-28

Post by bowsertoad on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 11:36 am

33 trillion pounds? no one needs that much money, and still require the public to pay for the upkeep of the houses and the aperance. Yes they bring money into the country for tourism, but is this higher then the cost to the british public? Not bad for a family that stole the crown.

Post by Guest on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 4:38 pm

Nobody REALLY knows except you eh Paps?

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 12:56 pm

Well said Bowsie ! Twisted Evil

Clapco.....

NO.... not even I know exactly how much that burd is worth.

One thing IS sure...... She could buy and sell you using the change in her purse - if she had one.

Papa......

bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by bowsertoad on Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:49 pm

Does the queen have pocket change? or does she have a man for that sort of thing?
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 03 Dec 2012, 10:25 pm

You all do realise that the 42million isn't a salary? Right? It's the stipend for the upkeep on the ENTIRE British Lollapallozah. Buckingham Palace and every other Royal Residence, the blokes in the sexy hats out front, the staff paypackets, maids, butlers, chefs, Foreign Dignitary visits etc ad infinitum. Personally if you offered me 42 million pounds to dust Buckingham Palace I'd have to think about it. She covers all that shite herself. Her personal income comes from lands her parents left her. Yup that's a nice chunk of change but that's not actually hers to do with as she will. How would you want to have to find you had to budget to cover ONE of the Rsidences with 42mill? And she manages to cover 10 or so. And what would you do if some jackass came in and burnt an entire wing down? Gutted it. Think for even one second about whats housed in there. Paintings, artwork, furniture, priceless antiques. She lives in a museum, keeps it up on a stipend that doesn't cover near enough, doesn't get a salary AND has people saying she makes too much money. WTF? The Smithsonian here in the States runs off an annual budget of $800 million per year. That comes out to 497,072,000.00 gbp. Damn you chaps are gettin off cheap.
    Tuppence

Last edited by TuppenceHapenny on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

jim

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2011-05-19

Post by jim on Mon 03 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm

The monarchy is a central part of a political system that is fundamentally undemocratic. The institution itself is racked with political meddling and financial waste while the very principle of hereditary power is offensive to democratic values.
    bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by bowsertoad on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 8:35 am

Jim, I dont think the royal family is a waste, I believe it is good to have a monarchy, not many countries do, would you like britain to down the route of a president? I dont think that would suit, besides, the queen is in charge of the world, next to the Koch brothers, rockafellas and the other one.
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:32 pm

WOW jim, that's quite a segue ya got there.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 2:00 pm

Yes Tuppence, she is really hard done by isn't she ? ( Sorry if that sounded a bit sarcastic ).

I in fact often wish that our monarchy was more like the Danish or the Nederland monarchies are as they are just as "royal" as ours is but MUCH less expensive to maintain.

Papa......

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 3:09 pm

Nah Paps, not a bit sarcastic-full on sour grapes perhaps but not sarcastic.
    The question brought something to mind so I checked into it. The White House costs the American public 1.5 BILLION dollars a year. On top of that the Prez gets around $150K per year for life. AND another 100K for unforseen expenses.
    Right now I think we have 5 living presidents so theres a chunk O'change. Now, each time they appear at a banquet or give a speech to a group they get another 50K or so. Nice work if you can get it. The 500k comes out of american pocets.
    That comes out to about $10 per person just for the upkeep on one jackass. I did get a corrected UK figure, it's up to 71p per person for Queenies upkeep. 71p vs about 6 GBP. Go figure.
    Tuppence

Post by Guest on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 3:22 pm

Way to go Liz!

CC

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 6:00 pm