Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The "multibuy" rip-off.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The "multibuy" rip-off.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 11:50 am

Some, but not maybe all aware shoppers might have noticed that if they blindly buy multiples in many of the supermarkets that these multiple purchases are not always guaranteed to be cheaper than buying more than one single item.

WHICH? reveal shoppers are being duped into spending more with multibuy deals.

WHICH? carried out this research in supermarkets and insist some of the practices being used for 'money-saving' deals can often render the original price of a product redundant, and they feel that "bargain-hunters" can often pay over the odds for these so-called "deals".

Which? found that about 10 per cent of offers are more expensive than buying the products ­individually.

A spokesman said: “Not only did we discover ­significantly more multibuys being offered this year than last, we also found some ­multibuys didn’t save you any money at all.”

Researchers compared the prices of 115 popular ­products at Asda, Ocado, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Waitrose online over 12 months. In one example, packets of sweets costing 34p each were advertised as four for £3 – an additional £1.64. A £1 Goodfella’s pizza was being sold at £4.50 for two – or £2.50 too much.

The Which? spokesman added: “With household budgets squeezed and rising food costs among the top worries for consumers, it’s all the more important that stores make it as easy as possible for people to spot the best value products.”

According to the research, supermarkets sometimes switched deals, so a discounted product would go up in price on multibuy and then be discounted afterwards, a move Which? said rendered the normal price of a product “redundant”.

( Note from Papa...

This is something that I have already discovered myself as I examine prices in many supermarkets and I personally have found that this trick is a very cynical one that finishes up just getting the purchaser more confused rather than making things clearer. )

Asda said they were making sure the cost of the weekly shop was low, “with no surprises”. Tesco said their customers liked their multibuy offers.

Sainsbury’s said they always “clearly displayed the price to help prevent any confusion”.

Well folks, do any of those words from thew supermarkets put your mind at rest, ? as they certainly do not in my case.

As marketing, ( or as I call it more accurately, marketeering ), gets more and more involved and sneaky I honestly believe that these jokers are waging war on the consumers rather than trying to make their lives easier and simpler.

The very old Latin adage: Caveat Emptor, or buyer beware, is more realistic and valid today than it has ever been before.

What do you think ?

Papa......

Re: The "multibuy" rip-off.

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:19 am

Caveat emptor says it all really. Given that it is 10% of offers I hardly think it is a premeditated attempt to defraud the public at large especially if you consider the remaining 90% of offers save considerably more amounts of money.

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 12:25 pm

That, my friend is exactly the point !

The supermarkets hide these particular sneaky ways of doing by making some of the multi-buys genuine, and when consumers - that normally do not have the time to study every multi-buy offer individually and make single comparisons every time - find that one or two or maybe more are genuine they think that they all are. THEY ARE NOT and that is why the great consumer watchdog "Which?" think this discovery is worth highlighting.

I really do wish that you would stop taking the side of the marketeers and profiteers EVERY time when you comment on what is written in ROB. All this does is support the idea that you are ALWAYS for the rip-off companies and against the ripped-off consumers.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:09 pm

I think that many shoppers, especially women, who do most of the shopping in Britain and the world, are already well aware that this is going on.

It is still good to get this pointed out to us as such and this indication makes us renew our efforts to not get ripped off by the supermarkets that seem to have started to look on us as enemies rather than customers.

Personally, I always avoid multi-buys like the plague as I never want to be encouraged to buy more of anything that I cannot use within a week.

But, thanks anyway for the thought Papa. Rolling Eyes
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:18 pm

My pleasure Angie.

Mind you I would expect the "women" to be well up on this kind of thing as it IS them that do most of the shopping.

Maybe this thread is more targeted at blokes eh ? Twisted Evil

Papa......

bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2012-11-28

Post by bowsertoad on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 12:06 pm

The problem that we have with this country, is the complacency to agree to the first price that is given to a product. This could be due to capitalism, this could be due to the simple fact that the majority of the British public are ignorant to allot of simple things they are getting ripped off on, but due to the ignorant out weighing the informed, we will continue to have this style of economy where a deal is generally too good to be true.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 12:35 pm

Yes mate, we can be a lazy lot at times and the marketeers - as I call them - know this only too well and prey upon us because of this weakness.

That is one of the reasons why I created this site in the first place as I believe that the Brits NEED cajoling, encouragement and guidance in order to get the best deals that are going.

I also agree that the maxim: "If it looks too good to be true it usually is" stands good just about every time we go into our pockets or wallets or purses with a plan to spend money.

I do think, though, that many of the consumers are now getting wiser to these rip-offs as there are now a number of sites like this that are online that give good advice to the unwary shoppers out there.

I guess that there will always be "the mugs" that go about with a bright bulb above their heads advertising that fact, and for those people we can do little to redirect them away from the chancers and crooks that are always going to be there, waiting to pounce.

Papa......

bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by bowsertoad on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 12:38 pm

we live in a age of commerce and greed, people will always try to make a £1 more then they should. i agree that the populus is become more aware of marketing tactics, and costing that is inflated, but for the most part, people generally can not be bothered to look.
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:28 am

It takes a lot to rile a Brit, and even if this is true I think that that time has just about arrived.

As austerity programmes hit us harder and harder we are now getting used to being more careful with our money than we used to. After the austerity programmes are done with we will still be more careful with our money afterwards, because of these programmes.
    bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by bowsertoad on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:32 am

I fully believe that the british public is wising up to the way companies operate, but it is a slow process, people dont like change, and dont like to make a fuss

(obviously, this is a personal opinion and not a survey result based statement)

Post by Guest on Sat 01 Dec 2012, 8:27 am

Don't forget, the British public either own or work for those same companies so they are not as dumb as you think...
    bowsertoad
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by bowsertoad on Sat 01 Dec 2012, 9:46 am

do not get me wrong clapco, I dont think the british public is dumb, I think they are ignorant to certain things, such as what they are paying for x y and z, if you get me.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 01 Dec 2012, 12:21 pm

It doesn't matter that those people either "own or work" in these companies as they are still consumers and as consumers they expect - and should get - fair treatment.

Bowsie is right that the man - or woman - in the street do not take to change easily and it is going to take a complete sea-change in attitude for the same consumers to show true solidarity with each other in order to make these greedy companies behave themselves.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:38 pm