Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Which? finds that the "stars" system is failing.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Which? finds that the "stars" system is failing.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 1:01 pm

No, not movie stars, but the stars that the travel agents and the hotels award themselves when they advertise their standards.

Which? has found that this rating system has been attacked by holidaymakers who cannot actually believe what these systems say, as many have been let down by this present system.

When it comes to choosing accommodation, Britons will always trust online reviews made by other holidaymakers than trust the "stars" system awarded by official bodies - new research reveals.

Almost HALF of UK travellers have stayed in hotels that have not lived up to their rated status - a poll from Which? Travel found.

The watchdogs are now calling for a standardised system of comparative accommodations.

Well folks have any of you found that you cannot trust this "stars" rating system and what do YOU think should be done about it ?]

Last edited by papa_umau on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Re: Which? finds that the "stars" system is failing.

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:13 pm

I suspect that the complainants do not understand how the system works, not that the hotels are defective in any way. Stars are awarded for objective reasons such as 24 hour room service, restaurants, ensuites etc.

If you want to whinge about the service there are plenty of websites on which to vent your spleen, though none spring to mind as I find other peoples opinions very subjective;)

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:54 pm

AGAIN... you take the side of the companies and corporations against the side of the consumers !

I cannot imagine why you even come to ROB when you don't seem to care how these companies and corporations treat their customers.

This survey by Which? highlights that the present ratings system is NOT working and instead of criticising the people who complain - by whatever route - you should surely be criticising the companies that fail while supporting the customers claims rather than making excuses for the people/companies who do fail their customers.

Yes, there ARE "plenty of websites" that handle such criticisms - including this one - and that suggests to me that purely by their numbers there is good reason for these websites to exist.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:57 pm

First check the facts before passing judgement Paps, I do not always take the side of the company - in my experience the customer is not always right - more often than not they are after a free ride. Read my post again for an explanation of how the star system works. If a punter expects a five star holiday for 20 a night he will be sadly mistaken - you cannot blame the hotel for his disappointment.

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:14 pm

Maybe a bit of introspection is what should be on the cards for you as you seem not to be aware that you always take the side of the beasts against their victims.

This website is here purely to stand up for the rights of the individuals and the beasts and the companies and the corporations out there are quite big enough and ugly enough to be able to easily afford to look after themselves.

Which?, ( a very well-respected consumerism magazine ,) has reported that the "stars" rating system is not working and rather than finding excuses for these chancers you should be supporting the efforts of this great magazine by instead supporting the people who have been ripped off by this failing system.

I DO....and I feel good about that !

Sometimes I wonder what makes YOU feel good ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 01 Nov 2012, 1:58 pm

Well said Paps.

I don't go abroad very often but when I do I usually get recommendations from friends that have been abroad. I don't trust the travel companies or the hotels to advise me accurately and I have always thought that the "stars" system of quality or standards is anything like what is true once you get there.

This system needs reviewed and changed root and branch so that the potential tourists can trust what these people say.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:22 pm

Thanks Zath.

I agree with what you are saying there and in fact there are companies online that actually do do these personal recommendations by canvassing the holidaymakers that have just come back.

In fact... Here are a few sites like this to be getting on with:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/
    http://www.holidayreviewstop.com/travel-agent.html
    http://www.netmums.com/lifestyle/holidays/add-a-recommendation

When such biased companies are successful this suggests to me that there definitely IS a problem with the "stars" system of standards.

The people who compile these stars are far too close to the subject to make independent decisions about such things. Any group or company that produce these figures "in-house" have to be biased because of the incomes that such good recommendations bring them.

It is almost like when the farmer allows the fox to supervise the hen-house and is surprised later on when he finds all of the hens dead.

Self-regulation has NEVER worked and it never will work so long as there are profits connected to such practices.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri 02 Nov 2012, 2:18 pm

HAHAHAHAAHA

Self regulation works extremely well every second of every day. Unless you have a policeman following you around and checking your every move.

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 11:54 am

If Ronald Reagan was still alive and Thatcher was still compos-mentis you could ask them why the banking sector across the developed world crashed due to incompetency, illegality and excess greed.

If you don't know what I am getting at here, I will explain:

Everybody with half a brain knows that Reagan and Thatcher got their crazy heads together and removed many of the regulations that ensured the banks and the building societies and the city traders - both sides of the wet bit - behaved themselves and afterwards we all know what happened because these IMPOSED regulations were removed.

Any company or corporation - and especially the banking sector - that do not have regulations forced upon them will always take the path of least resistance to the making of as much profits as they think they can get away with.

These animals can NOT be trusted to regulate themselves as self-imposed regulations simply do not work and never will.

NOW... do not even try to deny what I have just said as if you do you will only - by this denial - just prove how uneducated, unaware and naive you really are.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 1:45 pm

Wearing off the topic a bit guys, eh ?

Anyway, thanks for the weblinks Papa as the next time I can afford to go abroad I will check them out.

Mind you it has been a very long time since I had a holiday in the sun and my miserable boyfrind will not help to pay for a holiday like that.

He will go abroad when it is a football match he wants to see but he doesn't take me with him then either. The pig ! Mad
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 04 Nov 2012, 1:08 pm

I think that it might be time to give that particular "boyfriend" the heave !

We are not all like that you know my dear.

If you never look you will never find any of the good guys that are left out there. Twisted Evil

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:25 pm