Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

NHS boss of "Salus" makes "dignity and respect" claim.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

NHS boss of "Salus" makes "dignity and respect" claim.

Post by papa_umau on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:02 pm

In a rather strange action as ATOS subcontract the work that they are being paid for doing to another NHS sub-contractor on a "not-for-profit" basis after being slammed for treating the sick and disabled people with a disgusting care-nought attitude, we see this new boss saying that as his company take over this task he promises that he will treat the people he assesses with "dignity and respect".

I guess we are going to see if this new entity can do the job better than ATOS did and whether they WILL actually treat their clients better than ATOS did.

Read about this latest move HERE.

As this is not in fact ATOS losing the contract and having to pay back the taxpayers money, do you - anybody - think that this is an improvement on what went before ?

I have great doubts that this act is just so that the pressure will be taken off ATOS and the government decision to hive off this work to the private sector in the first place.

What say you ?

Papa......

Re: NHS boss of "Salus" makes "dignity and respect" claim.

Post by Guest on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 2:15 pm

I am sure as hell that they are no different from the civil servants that did the job before them - complete with cock-ups. I once witnessed a DSS supervisor threaten to cut the benefits of someone who was unable to write because they had had a stroke because they hadn't signed their paperwork. I'll wager that the relevant department was even TUPEd over to them as part of the deal!

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 11:31 am

Yes Clappers, it is so correct that "two wrongs never made a right !"

Having said that, I STILL stand against ANY public contract work being hived off to the private sector as any time that this has been done in the past to save money or to be more cost-effective for the people they serve and for the taxpayers that pay them, it has proved to be a more costly and and less efficient answer to the flaws built into some of the public sector providers.

I mean, when have YOU ever seen better or cheaper service coming from ANYTHING that has been handed over to the private sector to provide ?

Just look at how the privatised utilities are ripping us off every day as they made billions of profits but yet are still allowed to bang up their charges at well over inflation-rate rises.

All that was wrong with the old public services was that they were not fully or properly financed and that they were run by donkeys that had no idea how to run anything.

That could - and has been - fixed in some directions by ensuring that the managers know how to manage and the treasury knows how to correctly finance such public services.

One thing IS sure and that is that once the profit motive and the need to hand out dividends to the shareholders of these companies has been removed then the not-for-profit entities that take their place can deliver a much better and cheaper service for all - if run properly.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:17 pm

I had never heard of these people before and I wondered why, so I did a Google search for them.

I was surprised to find that this group already exist and have done for a good long time and that they are run on a not for profit system doing exactly what Atos was employed to do.

I have to ask, why was Atos given this contract when we already have a group within the NHS that can do this job and already have experience in doing it ?

Just for your interest, here is what I found: http://www.salus.co.uk/About/Pages/default.aspx
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 12:23 pm

That's interesting Angie.

I think that the problem there is the fact that Salus is just too small to do the full job.

What irks me is that it seems that Atos are losing nothing out of this deal.

We shall see I guess, once the whole thing is settled and then we will really find out if the disabled people are treated with a bit more respect in the future.
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 20 Oct 2012, 10:53 am

Yes Zath, that is a wholly unsatisfactory solution to the problem.

I would love to hear some more.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 21 Oct 2012, 12:27 pm

I believe that Atos are paying Salus 22,000 to fill in for them.

SO.... it seems that Atos are still getting the big money from the Tory-led government, which allows them to subcontract at least, some of, this work back to this NHS sub-division.

In fact, all they are doing is handing over the contract for a new benefit that is being introduced

The decision has prompted questions from MPs over whether it represents value for public money for the state to contract work to a private company to help carry out assessments for a new disability benefit, the personal independence payment (Pip), which is due to replace the disability living allowance from 2013, if the company then in turn outsources the work back to the state sector.

Sounds like a really inefficient and expensive way to do it, if you ask me.

But then agaain, what's new with this awful government ?

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 10:58 pm