Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

University degrees - please take one

University degrees - please take one

Post by Guest on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:15 am

Yesterday in Claco's busy schedule he stopped off at a lay-by trailer cafe for some much needed sustainance - more than catered for by a bacon buttie and cup of hot coffee.

The hard working lad behind the counter informed me he had just completed a degree in media studies and he should be making tv programmes but couldn't find a job.

Am I the only person to be surprised by this?

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: University degrees - please take one

Post by papa_umau on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 12:34 pm

Firstly Clappers, it is a very strange thing to refer to ones-self in the third party.

Anyway.... I am sure that there are many post-graduates that are sadly in that guy's situation.

That is just another one of the side-effects of a ruined economy.

Yes, the last New-Labour government did have a hand in this situation but all that has happened since the Tory-led Con-Dem government took over is that this situation has gone from bad to worse.

I just hope that the students that are coming out of university and cannot find a decent job remember which government was in control when they got into that state.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2400
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:43 pm

Although I came to teaching through the back-door I would have loved to have gone for a degree before I did. Put quite simply, I couldn't afford to go to university and because of this it was very difficult for me to get into primary school teaching. I was a teachers helper before I was allowed to go to teachers training college and a supply teacher for three years before I was allowed to get a full-time post.

Clapco makes his thread-start sound as if it is easy to get a degree and that there are far too many people out there that do have degrees, but that is far from the truth. If Britain was running a decent economy almost all of those graduates would get suitable work soon after graduation.

Post by Guest on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 10:04 am

Paps - You say Labour 'had a hand on the situation' but what evidence do you have? Unemployment remained static under Labour and was already well on the up when Bruin lost the election despite MASSIVE government spending in an attempt to rig the election in his favour.

Angie - I never said getting a degree was easy, you did. My point was about the relevance of media studies to the jobs market - if my friend had thought ahead and done, say, a scientific degree, then he might be in an entirely different situation. As it was, his maths wasn't very good - he only charged me 1.10 for the bacon sarnie.

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm

Anybody that knows anything about the last New-Labour government will know that they did nothing to help Britain's economy during their terms off office. ( I am actually quite shocked that you do not agree with me over that one when on considers that the damage that was done to the banking sector by the interference that Thatcher and Reagan had with banking regulations, which was instrumental in helping to cause the world-wide crash, was not repaired by New-Labour when they let the toothless FSA do nothing to watch what the banks were doing or even try to stop it ).

Anyway.... It is blindingly obvious, ( a situation that you usually follow ), that all employment opportunities - including the opportunities that graduates need - always hit the skids when any country's economy flat-lines.

Ours IS flat-lining and until it recovers, ( unlikely under Osborne's now-devalued "plan A" ), decent jobs with decent wages will remain hard to find for everybody in this country.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 3:40 pm

?????????

Sorry Paps but you are confusing me - how does 'did nothing to help Britain's economy' square up with the trillions of debt racket up by Bruin in his heyday

As to your continual attempt to blame Thatcher for the banking crisis, if someone falls asleep at the wheel of a coach and everyone on board gets killed (plus a few innocent bystanders) - how can you possibly think the original coachbuilder was at fault? Brown was in the hot seat and he was out of his depth. If only you would come out of denial we would respect you more.

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 01 Oct 2012, 11:41 am

Please read back what I wrote as you certainly DO seem to be becoming very confused.

I already said that Blair and Brown did nothing to right the wrongs that Thatcher and Reagan did to the regulations surrounding banking and those facts are now immutable and set into history for all time.

NOW.....

The recent history of borrowing.

Then... read that graph again and you will see that the "red" bits, ( Labour ) are actually almost all in surplus, while the "blue" bits ( Tory ) are almost all in deficit.

Also please note that the greatest borrowing amount and record deficit in those days of 50,869 millions was made under the Tory government in 1993. ( Nothing has touched that since ).

When you invoke such graphs it may be better to ensure that they actually support your thinking rather than destroying it.

Oh and BTW, your analogy of the sleeping bus-driver is spurious too !

Last edited by papa_umau on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Post by Guest on Mon 01 Oct 2012, 4:43 pm

It's amazing what admin rights can do when it comes to editing.....

Anyway the surplus was arrived at after 4 years of the most capable politician in the government today - Kenneth Clarke. He was so good you will remember I am sure that in order to persuade people to vote Labour he promised to maintain the previous Conservative governments spending plans for three years. When that expired and Bruin let rip it went from a surplus of 16 697 million to 42 399 million until Darling took over when it went to 152 706 million (which for those of you not so good at maths is over three times the size of the previous record deficit)

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:53 pm

It is not a very good or dependable practice to always see the blue and never see the red as any such "partitioned" thinking is always going to lead you down the proverbial garden path.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:54 pm

The red of Labour or the red of being overdrawn?

C

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 1:36 am