Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Not exactly a rip off but....

Not exactly a rip off but....

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 6:13 pm

A friend of mine tops up her mobile phone every week by going to the nearest phone shop and paying cash to top it up. Today I offered to show her how to do it on line using a credit card.

Everything went well until the authorisation stage when the payment was declined. I called the credit card company and they said they did authorise the transaction, it was the phone company (Orange) that didn't complete the transaction. I called Orange 4 times with varying degrees of success from their Indian call centre to find out that I needed to 'link' the card to the phone, and that needed the owners permission. I explained the owner did not have a credit card and so it was not possible to link the card, but that I agreed to make a one off payment on her behalf. The website clearly states this is possible. Raj at the call centre said it was not.

I then went down to the same phone shop she uses and made a top up using my credit card. No 'linking' was required and I left the shop with much egg on my face.

The internet is supposed to bring great things to us all. Clearly Orange does not agree.

Has anyone experienced this type of thing anywhere else?

Clappers
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12201
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Not exactly a rip off but....

Post by papa_umau on Sun 16 Sep 2012, 1:22 pm

Hmmmmmm.................. That's a new one on me and I am with Orange too.

Any time that I need to update my credit on my PAYG phone I either use the card that came with the phone that makes such updates easy, ( This can be obtained from any Orange shop BTW ).

This card can be used at any shop that has the green "top-up" logo on it. ( pay by cash, by credit card - using the pin number - or similarly, by any bank debit card ).

Also, my phone can be topped up at any bank autoteller, ( using your debit card ), by simply clicking on the "Orange" option that will come up and enter the amount you want to add, and the phone's number, twice. Done this way you will get a receipt from the machine and an instant text to confirm that the top-up was executed successfully and added to your credit.

Of course any phone can be topped up via the telephone too by calling the Orange - on this occasion - customer services number on the actual phone that is to be topped up. This number - for Orange - is a simple 450. ( You will be able to use a Visa debit card or any credit card by this method too ).

It is never a good idea to "link" a credit card to any company that might give you what is called "client not present" orders, ( which require no pin-number ), as that card information stays on their computer data-base and can be accessed by just about anyone in that office. ( I recently was sent a renewed credit card and with it came the advice to NEVER link it on a long term basis to any distance-selling vendor ).

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 21 Sep 2012, 1:30 pm

Thanks for the advice Paps. Mind you most of that stuff will be common-sense anyway.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:23 am

My pleasure Zath'.

The thing is that there are many people out there that do not have "common-sense" or if they do have it, they rarely use it.

That is why I have always believed that fallible humans can often not be trusted with their own volition and that is why the rule of law and ethics must be regularly updated, applied and enforced by the authorities.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:54 am

The law is written by humans and therefore is just as fallible. As to ethics, these are just matters of opinion surely?

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm

NO.... you could not be more wrong about that !

While the laws are written by humans, they are written and examined and discussed at great length by the people - in our democratically elected parliament - who we trust to do this job on our behalf. After this examination - in many parliamentary stages - any new laws that are being made are voted upon and passed - or not - by this vote before they go onto the statute books.

By your obvious ignorance it seems that you know very little about how our laws are made, applied and enforced and maybe you should get yourself a bit better educated before trying to take me on in any such debate.

Ethics ARE in the mind of the human that applies them, BUT...and this is a big BUT they too are examined and applied to our lives by people who decide which ethics are right and proper and which ones are not.

As I have said many times before.... We simply cannot be trusted with those kinds of decisions without them being immersed in the laws that we all abide by as if we have that kind of freedom we will almost certainly abuse it or misuse it.

As the days go by and I read more and more of your stuff I have come to the decision that you have no clue about how a democratic country should work or behave.

Maybe you would be more comfortable living in a place that allows so much of the freedoms that you want that you would be better off living in a country that has no laws at all.

AGAIN... that is the purist definition of an anarchist !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 11:11 am