Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Pump Prices CUT by 5p per LITRE

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Pump Prices CUT by 5p per LITRE

Post by Technician on Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:29 pm

Hi all,

Saw this today: Pump prices CUT by 5p per LITRE....well, I thought it was too good to be true and it was...unless ??

The only problem is that it refers to the FRENCH GOVERNMNENT taking action to cut pump prices for FRENCH families, small businesses and the country's economy.It's all the more amazing when you realise that the French Government have taken this decisive action AND their diesel price is about 1`.15 per litre! - far lower
    than ours.

No one needs reminding that UK pump prices have steadily risen over recent weeks and are nowapproaching record levels. Also remember that our August 3p Fuel Duty rise was not totaly cancelled - it was deferred, and is scheduled to hit us on 1st January.

So what are we to make of this ??. I expect our Government know of this action, but as always are anxious to squeeze the last drop of blood from the populace; they don't care, and certainsly would not want us to know. The only way they MAY listen is mass peaceful action, ie blocking the motorways for a day etc...but can't see that happening anytime soon. So just buckle down, know your place and keep on paying.

Technician

Re: Pump Prices CUT by 5p per LITRE

Post by Guest on Mon 03 Sep 2012, 7:52 am

Typically French idea - they still think they can hold back the tide!

When they run out of money what will they do then?

It is time that governments of the world realised they must stop spending our money on our behalf so that schemes like this could become more commonplace.

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12180
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:21 am

I am sure that the French motorists are pleased about this idea as at least THEIR government is trying to do something directly to ease the burden of all of the taxes that are piled on top of each other as far as motoring and the cost of trading logistics are concerned.

I guess that as far as I see it it is all about WHERE governments spend our money and not that they are spending it at all.

After all, that is what taxation is all about, isn't it ? We pay our taxes and then we get them back in sensible spending.

You have to admit that government after government have used the motorists and hauliers as cash-cows for far too long in Britain and it is far past time that our government might copy a few of the things that are done on the continent.

The government of the day got a severe fright the last time that the truckers and the farmers and a few motorists blocked the roads in protest, but like Technician says I doubt if the desire is there to do that again.

I do my bit in another way; that of buying hybrid cars, but even here , ( as seen in my protest at the crazy cost of electric and plug-in hybrids - Find it HERE ), I think that the powerful oil-lobby are encouraging the car- manufacturers to squeeze as much cash as they think that they can get away with for as long as they can get away with it, and at least until the oil eventually starts to run out and such vehicles will have to come down to a more reasonable price.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:43 pm

The point is that they are spending way too much of our taxes which is why we got in this mess in the first place. Sure it is nice that a government decides to forego its taxes and the oil companies their profits, but don't be so naive as to think they wont take it from somewhere else.

Indeed there is a political argument that by championing political initiatives like this the population are fooled into thinking that their government is a good one. Pickpockets often distract their mark with a low cost gift whilst helping themselves to your wallet!

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:51 am

Quite simply - as I often say - it is all about taxing us fairly and spending that tax-revenue on matters that do the most good for the greatest number of people.The Tories have never been good at that !

If you want to see good and fair spending just look at what the SNP government up here have done for the Scottish people with their share of the block grant.

The Tories and their look-after-number-one policies could do with emulating - in England - more of the policies that the SNP have introduced up here in Scotland.

Why do you think that they went from a minority government, ( just like the Tories are at the moment without their Lib-Dem poodles ), to a fully maximised and majority government ?

Papa......

Post by Guest on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

Before you get ahead of yourself the Scottish 'government' do not have tax raising powers. Once Salmon gets his way he will be laughing the other side of our face when VAT/income tax etc doubles to pay for all the handouts. Then see who gets the vote!

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 06 Sep 2012, 1:02 pm

Never at any time did I say that "the Scottish government had tax-raising powers". Your words, not mine !

In fact much of the money that is spent on the requirements of the Scottish people by the Scottish government, that is not taken from the block grant, is raised locally by the unfair council tax system.

Even if Scotland loses the independence vote - which it very well might - I am sure that Westminster will give Scotland more ability to raise income tax within Scotland as part of "Devolution-Max".

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:33 pm