Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

OBAMA on the internet.

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

OBAMA on the internet.

Post by Parliament.... on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 12:19 pm

President Obama went on the internet in the USA yesterday, and so, what appears below copied and pasted, is a question from a Student to the President, followed by President Obama's response.

It has to be remembered by all who read and respond to this posting of mine, that America do have the same low income tax, deregulated free market that we British do. And I have to also say that I want Obama to win again, the Presidency.

Over to you folks. As follows.

"""""I am recent law school graduate. Despite graduating from a top school, I find myself unemployed with a large student loan debt burden. While I'm sure my immediate prospects will improve in time, it's difficult to be optimistic about the future knowing that my ability to live a productive life -- to have a fulfilling career, to buy a house, to someday raise a family -- is hampered by my debt and the bleak economic outlook for young people. I know that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Many of us are demoralized. Your 2008 campaign was successful in large part due to the efforts of younger demographics. We worked for you, we campaigned for you, and we turned out in record numbers to vote for you. What can I say to encourage those in similar situations as I am to show up again in November? What hope can you offer us for your second term?

Obama's response:

I understand how tough it is out there for recent grads. You're right - your long term prospects are great, but that doesn't help in the short term. Obviously some of the steps we have taken already help young people at the start of their careers. Because of the health care bill, you can stay on your parent's plan until you're twenty six. Because of our student loan bill, we are lowering the debt burdens that young people have to carry. But the key for your future, and all our futures, is an economy that is growing and creating solid middle class jobs - and that's why the choice in this election is so important. The other party has two ideas for growth - more taxs cuts for the wealthy (paid for by raising tax burdens on the middle class and gutting investments like education) and getting rid of regulations we've put in place to control the excesses on wall street and help consumers. These ideas have been tried, they didnt work, and will make the economy worse. I want to keep promoting advanced manufacturing that will bring jobs back to America, promote all-American energy sources (including wind and solar), keep investing in education and make college more affordable, rebuild our infrastructure, invest in science, and reduce our deficit in a balanced way with prudent spending cuts and higher taxes on folks making more than $250,000/year. I don't promise that this will solve all our immediate economic challenges, but my plans will lay the foundation for long term growth for your generation, and for generations to follow. So don't be discouraged - we didn't get into this fix overnight, and we won't get out overnight, but we are making progress and with your help will make more"""

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12107
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: OBAMA on the internet.

Post by papa_umau on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 12:58 pm

The Mitt Romney circus is well under way in the USA but he is struggling to persuade the American people that he can be trusted.

Here are a couple of news reports about this race for the Republican candidature:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/romneys-wife-ann-republican-convention-1286990

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/record-view-usa-election-important-1287608

Well folks, if interested, do you think that Mitt Romney is the man to replace President Obama.

I for one think not !

Last edited by papa_umau on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Post by Technician on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

Agree here. Romney would be a complete disaster I feel. I don't like Obama, I didn't like Bush ( in fact the one I admired most in recent times was Clinton ). However, its not me who is voting.
    While to Obama's credit he is trying to reform aspects of healthcare (Blue cross etc ) Romney is dead against this....Why ? Because he has his fingers and vested (financial) interests deep in the private healthcare pie.

If they vote him in then God help America!!

Techncian
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:36 pm

I really hate agreeing with you all the time Technician, but as you almost always speak good sense I cannot avoid doing that !

Of course America is split right down the middle with one traunch on the Republican right and another traunch on the Democratic centre-left and like in many other democratic countries it is the floating voters that actually hold the power.

I think - thinking more on your comments above - that the Americans have been poisoned against the Republicans since "Shrub-junior" made such a terrible hash of the Presidency and it was the idiocy that Bush showed that made the floating voters in America leave the Republicans in their droves. Mitt Romney has a lot of the same qualities as Bush-junior had and I think that that will be his greatest stumbling-block in the Presidential elections.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:39 pm

Technician wrote:Hi Everyone,

Agree here. Romney would be a complete disaster I feel. I don't like Obama, I didn't like Bush ( in fact the one I admired most in recent times was Clinton ). However, its not me who is voting.
    While to Obama's credit he is trying to reform aspects of healthcare (Blue cross etc ) Romney is dead against this....Why ? Because he has his fingers and vested (financial) interests deep in the private healthcare pie.

If they vote him in then God help America!!

Techncian

Hi Technician, did you receive me PM ?.

Why dont you like Obama ?, why didnt you like Bush ?, just curious .
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 12:13 pm

An interesting article that I read online today:

IF AMERICA decides it wants to be run by Mitt Romney, it would be bad news for the west - and the rest of the world.

MITT ROMNEY may not be a far right-winger himself but he is the prisoner of the Republican Party who nominated him.

To get a shot at the presidency, the once-progressive Massachusetts governor had to hitch his wagon to the narrow agenda of the faction that have taken over the Grand Old Party.

From taxing the poor to feed the rich, to banning abortion and effectively endorsing laws that back racial profiling, todays Republican agenda has taken a real lurch to the right.

Dont kid yourself that this is a minority view large sections of the USs polarised electorate back the agenda of the Tea Party and the Christian fundamentalists.

Romney doesnt have mass appeal but the message does. And the dire straits that the US economy finds itself in may be enough to deliver the White House keys to the Republicans.

That would be bad news for the west and for the world. Obama, perhaps a
    disappointment for governing in prose after campaigning in poetry, is the last best hope for economic recovery.

He may not have worked miracles but God knows he has tried.

If he pays an electoral price for that, the right wingers here like George Osborne and Liam Fox will be encouraged to cut back the state some more and to give tax breaks to their rich pals.

The sabre-rattling tone of the Republican candidate lashing out at Iran, Russia and (the real threat) China does not augur well.

What the US needs on the world stage is what it has always needed someone who speaks quietly and carries a big stick.

Well folks, what do you think about that then ?

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1226
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:05 pm

Romney will be a disaster, for starters he's a Mormon, which means he will have a great influence on the drinking habits of Americans, Mormons don't drink, so, who knows, Prohibition again?

Actually, I doubt it, but he really does seem to be a strange candidate.

I really hop obama wins again, he has done the best he could with what he inherited from Bush, another term will see him get some good stuff moving.

Cheers, HG

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:18 pm

Hell's Granny wrote:Romney will be a disaster, for starters he's a Mormon, which means he will have a great influence on the drinking habits of Americans, Mormons don't drink, so, who knows, Prohibition again?

Actually, I doubt it, but he really does seem to be a strange candidate.

I really hop obama wins again, he has done the best he could with what he inherited from Bush, another term will see him get some good stuff moving.

Cheers, HG

I could not agree more H/G.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 06 Sep 2012, 1:43 pm

Yes HG, Obama was castigated for not getting through all of the welfare changes that he wanted to and he promised but we have to realise that it was not his fault that he did not have as much success with his reforming policies as he should have.

Why did he not have as much success as he should have ?

Because every time he started to do something along these lines his plans were defeated by THE REPUBLICANS !

I too hope that he is retuned with an even greater majority in both houses as if he is he might just manage to do all that he wants and promised to do.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 07 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm

Yeah, as that is the only way that he is going to get his social reforms through House of Representatives and the Senate.

As your pal Salmond said: "A government can get nothing done if they don't have the votes !"

At least he came back to a massive majority up there in haggis-land and he did get a lot done afterwards.

We could do with a "salmond" down here as he seems to be smart, shrewd and a statesman of the old kind.
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm

Here's something worth thinking about....

Because Obama's wife is so personable and because she has rallied many of the women in America to Obama's side, and, almost all of the black vote will again vote for Obama, I think that he has the edge over Romney if it comes to a fair fight.

Knowing America and it's complicated politics I don't think that any run for the Presidency is ever going to be a "fair" fight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 1:53 am