Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

A decent living wage !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12180
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

A decent living wage !

Post by papa_umau on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

AN attempt to increase the wages of more than half a million Scots workers is being launched by the Labour Party today.

Campaign groups, including Poverty Alliance, have joined with Scottish Labour to demand people working for private firms which have public sector contracts are paid the living wage of 7.20 an hour.

The legal minimum wage for all workers over 21 is 6.06 an hour, while the living wage is calculated as the rate required to stop workers falling into poverty.

Several councils and public bodies are already committed to paying their staff the living wage rate and it is estimated 550,000 Scots are still being paid less than this.

Scottish Labour MSP John Park is launching a consultation on a Living Wage (Scotland) Bill in a bid to include a clause requiring the private contractors to pay the living wage. Up to 9billion is spent every year by the public sector in Scotland for services from the private sector.

The MSP said: Six out of 10 Scots children live in families suffering from in-work poverty. If we do not take action, we are letting down thousands of low-paid workers.

The thing is that all governments know how much money we need in order to stave off poverty in this expensive country and while the minimum wage was always a good idea it's level has never actually been adequate enough.

The Poverty Trap:

This idea has always been recognised as a method whereby people who cannot work and earn enough money in a low-wage economy will almost always go to the state for benefits rather than actually working for a living as the benefits system has been set at a level that is supposed to keep people out of poverty and starvation.

If the benefits level is higher than the level at which the bottom-end workers can earn a living wage at while working then these workers are "TRAPPED" in that benefits system.

Obviously it is always better to encourage people to get out of bed and to go and work for a living, but this "trap" defeats this idea.

What do YOU say about this ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: A decent living wage !

Post by zathrus on Thu 23 Aug 2012, 1:34 pm

Well described Paps !

I too have always thought that there is no use in having a minimum wage if people cannot live above the poverty-line while earning that wage.

It is bad enough that the minimum wage is so low but it is even worse when it is not even enforced properly.

Scottish Labour giving a lead here where many other parties should follow, maybe ?

Post by Guest on Fri 24 Aug 2012, 9:37 am

It is a scandal that so many people are working for the state in Scotland. And asking the private sector to subsidise it even more just shows how delusional the Labour party is in Scotland. Soon there wont be any contractors prepared to do government jobs given the low prices, the atrocious payment terms and the arduous contractual obligations not to mention the PC hoops they have to go through. Or is that the plan? Huge 'direct works' departments once more, jobs for the boys, strikes every week....

Lets hear it for...OLD LABOUR

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 24 Aug 2012, 1:12 pm

NO..... Let's hear it for some sensibility in the delivering of employment and the building of new infrastructure and for the "privatise everything" mantra being dropped in favour of some good common sense.

I guess it all boils down to efficiency of costs and as long as the private sector are made to follow the rules and the rules are strong enough to protect the taxpayers I see no reason why this profit-driven sector can not do some of the essential work that is badly needing to be done.

Let's also hear it for the best of traditional Labour of the past and even some of the modern Labour ideas of the future.

We are not all caught in that "keep repeating the same mistakes" trap if we think radically and correctly and lose some of the dogma that has done so much of the damage in the past.

Time to rub our eyes and properly wake up to a very promising future !

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sat 25 Aug 2012, 8:33 am

As you know I recently spent some time in Kilmarnock so I can see some of what is going on.

Scotland has the infrastructure - good roads, plenty of housing (though why every building has to be covered in that drab pebbledash is beyond me) a good education system but still NO JOBS. The private sector is no longer capable of taking up the slack because of over regulation and the public sector is way too large.

What the Labour party is proposing will be disastrous for Scotland but no doubt the Scots will vote for them in their droves because they have always voted Labour. The only opposition is riding the nationalism wave.

Open your eyes - look at Scotland. A beautiful country full of fat lazy people who think the world owes them a living. Hideous housing estates scar the countryside, violence, alcoholism. This is what Labour brings to your country.

You need a 'McThatcher' to clear away the spongers and make Scotland a great country once again fit to uphold its fantastic heritage.

I am glad I am not a Scot because I couldn't bear the shame of seeing what has been done to my country.

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 25 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

AGAIN, a stereotypical statement like that does you and your credibility no favours.

It was the SNP government that made all of the improvements to the lives of the people in Scotland and that was why it went from being a minority government - at the start - to a massive majority at the last election.

That fact that I support the SNP party and government in Scotland just goes to show - to anybody that cares to think on it - that being a left-winger does not mean that one has to keep one's eyes shut as one considers what gets done on one's behalf by the government of the day.

Yes, we still have plenty of problems up here, but the SNP government are doing more to try to solve these problems than any Tory, ( now wiped out up here ), Liberal democrat, ( also almost wiped out ), or even a Labour administration has done in the past.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sat 25 Aug 2012, 2:43 pm

You need to open your eyes - the damage to Scotland is decades old and is the result of years of Labour majorities. It remains to be seen what the SNP will achieve - I suspect not a lot if they maintain the same spending policies as Labour allbeit draped in a Saltire.

You rejoice in the demise of the Tories and the Liberals because you do not know what you are doing my friend. A healthy opposition is vital to keeping the party in power honest. At the moment you don't have one so the drain continues.

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 26 Aug 2012, 1:08 pm

You may find - rather strangely - that I agree with you on that point, as the Labour Party in Scotland had become overconfident with it's automatic wins in elections for many years. So overconfident in fact that it thought it could get away with just about any ideas that they might come up with - including the application of some of the privatise-everything London "New-Labourite policies.

We in Scotland very quickly sorted that one out and we booted out these indolent Labourites in favour of the more left-wing Nationalists. After they had been elected for two full terms of government we were pleased to see that the SNP government did more for the people of Scotland than the Labour Party had ever done in the past.

Now, because of this truth the Labour Party in Scotland is second in the polls with the Liberal Democrats third and the Tories a very-distant last.

I feel that this could be a very good model for what should happen in the next general election so that the people who are put into power then will think more about the ordinary people of the whole country instead of just the few power-wielders that control politics there at the moment.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:44 am