Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Should we, as consumers, care about the planet ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12201
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Should we, as consumers, care about the planet ?

Post by papa_umau on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 11:54 am

I know that we have to consume to live and that it is the consuming that the rich do while living their daily lives that keeps the financial word revolving......BUT.... How many of us even think about the damage that we do to the world's environment by this out-of-control spending and consuming habit ?

If we were to be more responsible with our consumption we might not waste as many of the world's resources and we might not damage our land, sea and air environment so badly as we do it.

As the people of the rich West spend up to and beyond our financial limits we are seeing the world's resources dwindling at a rate that has bound to have long-term repercussions and if more of us do not get wise to this long-term and even permanent effect we are very soon going to find that this earth will no longer sustain us as we want it to.

While I was looking at this question on-line I came across a site that published some quite up-to-date figures for who actually does the global consuming and I was shocked to see that the rich percentage of the world's peoples consume a much greater share of the world's resources than the world's poorer peoples do.

Have a look at THIS site and the figures shown in the pie-chart below and come back and tell us what you think about this topic and whether we should do anything about it ?

Last edited by papa_umau on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Should we, as consumers, care about the planet ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 11:31 am

I think that the need and greed for "things" and "stuff" blind the people with money to the damage they are doing by the frantic desire to over-consume.

The waste that is built into this trade because of built-in obsolescence and a throwaway culture means that as we consume the landfill holes are getting bigger an bigger.

There seems to be a desire for re-use and re-cycle as far as many local authorities are concerned but I think that we are all still just playing at it.

If the scientists could get their mind properly into the problem they could give us warnings that we couldn't avoid.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:55 am

There is no doubt that the re-cycle and re-use policies of the local authorities are improving daily but if the people are not more or less forced into being environmentally-aware they will seldom do it voluntarily.

Soon there is bound to come a time when the damage we are doing will be irreversible and at that time we will find ourselves on a downward spiral to a ruined world.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 11:12 am

While we first-world countries are bad enough and trying to get better as far as this waste-production is concerned, the ones I worry about are the up and coming nations that are already getting into world trade and becoming as filthy in their habits as we already are.

What I mean by that is that as far as I see it these countries will go though a manufacture and sell period where they will not care about the damage they might do to the environment so long as they are outputting and exporting the maximum amount of "stuff" that they can.

I do not think that the developing nations have the same conscience about this as we have as they have not reached that awareness level yet
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 2:07 pm

So true Angie, so true !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 11:12 am