Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The Olympic ticket fiasco.......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12201
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The Olympic ticket fiasco.......

Post by papa_umau on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:28 am

Since well before the Olympics started there has been a problem with ticket sales and as the venues were opened we have seen evident many thousands of empty seats.

It would not be so bad if these seats were not expensive, but they are and they are even more expensive for the people like me that live in the North of the country, never mind those that have come from around the world.

Many of these empty seats have been reported as unused "Olympic family"seats and corporate reserves and now that there are so many unused we are seeing the government and the Olympic organisers scrabbling to give these empty seats to teachers, children and the services for free.

Only late last week they said that they would be releasing a few thousand more tickets for sale after many thousands of people who had applied for tickets at the beginning were disappointed to find that there were none available.

Yes folks, a disgrace and a shock by it's ineptness and it's inefficiency !

Maybe they will learn by their mistakes and this will not happen at the up-and-coming Commonwealth Games ?

Comments please.......

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Olympics

Post by Technician on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:45 am

Hi Paps,

Not a great fan, watched some of it, try to keep fit myself. As for the ticket fiasco, one word sums them up....B*****ds

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

More on corporate hospitality.....

Post by papa_umau on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 12:26 pm

A very good word of description Technician !

MORE.......

I saw a report today in my daily tabloid that said that Thomas Cook have been left with 45,000 of a group of 300,000 corporate hospitality - including hotel stays - briefs that they bought after these tickets went unsold.

With this thought in mind I am forced to ask....Why do these travel firms get so many reserved seating tickets when the ordinary people cannot get them ?

If this is the case with Thomas Cook, I wonder how many more of these "golden" tickets have went to other companies that supply corporate hospitality bookings ?

As I already said - above - as many of these bought-tickets have not actually been used we have to put these together with the ones that the travel firms are left with to easily see where many of these unused spaces at the sports venues originate from.

It was reported that Thomas Cook have offloaded many of these tickets at a knock-down price to ordinary people who are not part of the rich corporate-entertainment scene, and that they have taken a loss by this action.

WELL.... I say "hell-mend-em" as thay should never had so many of these tickets allocated for this use in the first place.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: The Olympic ticket fiasco.......

Post by zathrus on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 12:39 pm

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to work for a living and I have very little time for such indulgences.

I love sport, especially track and field and I will be avidly watching this on the telly today.

There is NO WAY that I would spend the silly money they are asking for actual tickets at the live events as the prices for these events are right out of the box.

Maybe this is why there are so many of the seats left empty eh ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 12:09 pm

Yes Zathrus, I think that Britain have now taken the Olympic Games more to heart than they did at the beginning as we had a very poor start as far as medals were concerned. Now that we are sitting in sixth place - and still climbing - in the world I think that all of this sport is being accepted more than it normally would.

Of course, if you are not interested in sport at all, then you might think that the BBC, in particular have overdone it. Personally, I think they should be congratulated for the fantastic coverage that they have given the London Olympic Games.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 1:10 pm

Being Clapco I have to take a different line on this one - could it be that people are not actually that interested in the Olympics? I would say without exception among my circle of friends the most used switch is the 'off' switch.

Just a thought

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 05 Aug 2012, 11:56 am

Well, as usual, you are welcome to your opinion as far as that is concerned, but, if you just stop for a second and look at the numbers of people that seemed willing to spend large amounts of money to be able to watch this sporting feast you will see that your - and your uninteresting friends - are in the great minority here.

When I saw the crowds - seen from the window of the BBC transmitting studio - that were gathering outside the Olympic stadium early yesterday afternoon I was amazed at the numbers.

I calculated that in just that one picture, the numbers of people who were in that frame must have paid millions of pounds just to witness those few track and field events. What was even more important were the numbers of gold medals that team-GB were awarded for that one afternoon and evening meet.

The courageous British athletes, who have trained most of their lives for this one meeting were simply joyous to witness when they received the highest accolade that sport can bestow on their dedication and hard work.

Wonderful, brilliant, spectacular, amazing..... and now many of the TV pundits and the sports-people who were interviewed are fast running out of these overused adjectives.

One last point....When we realise that - laid against the head of population of countries like America and China - Britain is now in THIRD PLACE in the world behind these two enormous countries, it is simply "stupendous", ( another adjective ), that we are doing so well at this half-way stage.

The latest medal tally:

The united States.......54
    China........................53
    Great Britain..............29
    Korea........................17

And, then comes the rest of the world

Does that not make you proud to be British ?

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sun 05 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

My friends are uninterested, not uninteresting. I shall assume you made a grammatical error rather than a personal attack.

Some viewing figures in from the BBC show that the amount of interest is less than Wimbledon or Euro 2012 which was kinda my point - there seems to be an assumption that everyone is interested whereas the MAJORITY are not.

As to the medal tally, wasn't that one of the goals behind the introduction of the National Lottery? Let's hear it for the last Conservative Government (John Major)!

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 06 Aug 2012, 11:30 am

Being uninterested MAKES them and you uninteresting, but don't take that as a directed insult as it is simply true.

While I do not have a lot of time for the carve-up that is the national lottery "good causes" accolade, I do think that after all is said and done the massive amounts of money that have been spent on the London Olympic games will leave a legacy of sporting support and new venues that were not there before the event.

Being sporty is not a bad thing to be as there are many more good things done in the name of international and home sporting events than has been done in the name of anything else.

International and national sport crosses all of the boundaries of bigotry and prejudice and hatred that seems rife in the world today and for that argument alone people like you and your uninterested friends should try a bit harder to enjoy and support this "wonderful", ( another adjective ), cause.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 11:07 am