Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The cost of energy is our greatest worry !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The cost of energy is our greatest worry !

Post by papa_umau on Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:42 am

I found an interesting article on Martin Lewis's website Money Saving Expert.com today and I was wondering if any of you agree with me - or, disagree if you like.

It was reported there that since 2004 the cost of energy has gone up FIVE TIMES ( that's five hundred percent ), while incomes have, in general, dropped, rather than risen during the same period.

It is not so bad when prices go up to suit what they say is the rising cost of wholesale gas and electricity but we are finding that in the long term these prices never go down by more than a few points while all of these energy companies are making massive profits at our expense.

A politician said yesterday that "we can never consider price controls" and yet we we still practice routine wage controls; surely it is time that prices were controlled too ?

The mantra that all right-wing governments seem unable to move away from of...."the free-market is God" is now starting to look rather like the work of some repressive regime in some banana republic of the third world.

What do YOU say about this subject ?

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Energy

Post by Technician on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:42 am

Hi PAPS,

You are so right on this one. I could not put it better myself!!!!. I an VERY angry with the energy companies who take us all for a ride. I am sure there is 'fixing' going on, but the 'regulators' are a waste of space.

Its all to do with big money and ripping us off. Its no good complaining to the person on the end of the phone either ( I have done this a number of times out of frustration ), they are only the fall guys.

I have even e mailed the directors of EON and Scottish Power about this, and guess what...Yes, they did not have the balls to reply.

The only way I see this changing is mass public anger and protest. We are so weak and submissive in this country; unlike the French who are more willing to take to the streets, and the Yanks who would play ruddy hell.

On this topic I live in depair for this country!!!!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: The cost of energy is our greatest worry !

Post by papa_umau on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm

Yes Technician, all of that is so true !

Mind you, I think that because more and more people are now getting wise to this particular rip-off I think that the time is coming ever closer when the British worm is about to turn.

I do not think we are going to get ANY help while this government are in charge but I would hope and expect something to be done about this blatant profiteering after the useless, biased, and incompetent Tory coalition has been booted out of power.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 03 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm

There is talk of the simplification of tariffs and the enabling of easy change-over to other energy providers, and if this is the case then we might actually see some real competition being brought into this carve-up of an industry.

At the moment there is no point to moving to another supplier as once we have done this we find that a few weeks later we are no better off.

I have done this twice already and I am certainly no better off !
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm

Yes mate, much still has to be done to get these greedy monsters to behave themselves and to properly compete with each-other.

I would have thought that The Competition Commission might have turned the screw on this lot by now, but I am still waiting for this to happen.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2510
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm

Like all of the government watchdogs this group are toothless too !

Post by Guest on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 1:21 pm

Ah yes Money saving supermarket expert dot com.

The fact that there is an imbalance between supply and demand has nothing to do with it I suppose?

As to price controls on labour, please can you give some examples? There are 2 million unemployed who would only be too pleased to do it for less!

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 05 Aug 2012, 12:15 pm

And there speaks a supporter of the slave-drivers and gang-masters !

As I have said many times before: "As we live in the expensive West we have to be paid wages at the bottom that allow us to subsist and if the greedy employers ever get the power to totally dictate what they pay to their slaves we will find homelessness and poverty appearing in Britain on a scale that has not been seen since the days of the Victorian "dark satanic mills".

It is a fact that governments are totally afraid of even saying the words "price-controls" in this market-driven society, but there is little or no control over the spending-value of the wages paid other than the very poorly-enforced minimum wage.

In modern life it is not the high wages that drive up prices, NO, it is the high prices that sometimes drive up wages. Wages are controlled, ( held down - except for the fat-cats at the top ), but prices are not !

It is a very dangerous thing to do to quote unemployment numbers when we are watching these numbers inexorable growing up - under this Tory-led government - to the record 3 million level that was evident when a Tory matriarch was last in charge.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 4:56 pm