Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The future?

The future?

Post by Guest on Tue 17 Jul 2012, 8:02 am

Informed regulars of ROB cannot have failed to miss the extraordinary increase in the UK population over the last 10 years. Whilst figures from Scotland remain to be released, figures for the rest of the UK show a startling 7% increase in population over the last 10 years.

It would appear the two main culprits are immigration (under predominantly Labour governments) and increasing longevity (which Labour might also like to claim credit for though that would be disingenuous)

What do you guys think?

It is my belief that this crowded isle needs to put population control on the agenda if we are to become sustainable once more. And before the extremist elements of RoB start equating me with Hitler I am not talking about death squads either.

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: The future?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 17 Jul 2012, 11:40 am

While I agree - AGAIN - ( strewth ), that the numbers of people in these small islands are too high I do not want to get trapped down the "immigration" alleyway as high-immigration is a regular reason why many xenophobes take a hard line on the subject. ( I would like to think that I am not a "xenophobe" ).

Yes, immigration from the open borders to and from Europe certainly needs to be looked at just like it has already been looked at and tightened for immigrants coming to Britain from the rest of the world.

That said, we then need to also look at ALL of the other reasons for this phenomenon, including the high birth-rate that you seem to have missed in your threadstart posting Clapco.

Another thing that effects these numbers is the people that come in to stay, balanced with the numbers that leave in order to stay in Europe - for example. ( These numbers too seem to be increasing every year ).

As Britain is, has always been, and will always be, a cosmopolitan country, I have felt that the people who come here to stay and to work actually enrich our society instead of - as seems to be the case - getting blamed for "increasing pressure on our welfare state", while the outstanding numbers of immigrants come here to work hard, to earn, to spend in our economy and to send some of that money to their poor relatives back home.

The subject of immigration and the part it plays in our increased population is a very complex one and yet somehow it is reduced to simplistic terms by the ones who cannot see past the fact that they are foreign at the point of entry.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2661
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:33 am

Well, sorry, but I agree with Clapco; this country is splitting at the seams with people and we really do not need any more coming here from anywhere.

Oh and BTW, I am not a "xenophobe" either !
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:13 pm

We ARE a small group of countries, and there are problems, mainly with the management of immigration over many years, think back to the 'small boats' bringing Indians across the Channel in the 60's, the Ugandan Asians deported by Idi Amin in the 70's, also the East Pakistanis (now Bangladeshis), all of whom came to us, THEIR MOTHER COUNTRY. We made the mistake when the various Countries were leaving the Empire of allowing them to keep their British passports.

Our Governments (of any flavour) are guilty of terminal shortsightedness and kneejerk policies, all leading to the current situation, aided by the Banks' mismanagement over years.

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:29 am

On a personal note I know several of the Ugandan Asians expelled by Amin - with only the clothes on their backs. I have had many discussions with them over the years on politics and two interesting facts emerge - all of them are more patriotic than I am, and many of them are now multi millionaires. Contrast that with the whingeing third generation unemployed of 'elp me out land and it should tell you something.

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 5:06 pm

I am sorry Clapco but that statement rings of the old saying that: "I have nothing against "blacks", "foreigners" or even "homosexuals" etc' etc' as one of my best friends are "fill in the blank..............""

There is one word for such a mindset.... "Prejudiced".

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:39 pm