Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Glimpse of the future?

Glimpse of the future?

Post by Guest on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 8:59 am

Regular readers of this forum will have noticed the absence of Clapco from these pages over the last few weeks. This has been due to an extended holiday in Spain to take ownership of his new villa in Malaga.

Whilst there visiting friends I noticed a new category of shop appearing in many smaller towns - the Chinese store.

Readers will be familiar with 99p stores here selling a range of products (some good some bad) for 1 or so. The Chinese stores are similar but EVERYTHING comes from China including the staff!. As I see it the only benefit to the local economy is the rent on the building. There is no employment, no local sourcing. The range is huge, the quality indifferent but the prices fantastic.

I stress this is not a racist post, but I do believe these stores will be a disaster to the UK economy.

What do you guys think? Has anyone seen one in the UK yet?

Clapco

PS Anyone wanting to rent the villa contact me off list for a hefty ROB discount.....
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2368
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: Glimpse of the future?

Post by Angie baby on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm

While I had heard that these stores were to appear I have not actually seen one of them in Britain - and especially in Scotland - yet.

I do agree that while we are already slaves to the cheapness of products coming from China I do not feel that this idea wouldl be a good one for all of the reasons you have already stated.

Now here lies the rub:

China have a very powerful influence over the directions we take here as far as allowing cheap imports into the country, as just about everybody that deals with the Chinese trade-leaders are engrossed by the idea that we could be, ( rightly or wrongly ), allowed into China for similar reasons. This idea has shaped policy for a good few years now and it looks like - if we are not to put up protection barriers - ( protectionism is severely frowned upon in international trade circles ), then we are going to have to allow free entry to Britain of all of the advantageous actions of the Chinese.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11927
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 2:07 pm

Well said Angie. I could not have put it better myself !

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:26 am

I wouldn't put trade tariffs up, as in protectionism, I would just make their job very hard to get outlets on our high-streets.

As has been said before: "there are a lot of different ways to skin a cat".

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:45 am

I am all in favour of 'buy British' - anyone with a Japanese car for example should be made to pay extra taxes for all the unemployment he/she causes

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 4:18 pm

Ahhhhh BUT.... Are you also prepared to handle the protectionism that they will hit us back with if we close our importation borders ?

As one who supports the private sector I would have thought that you might be aware what would happen if free trade was stopped via "protectionism".

Whether you like it or not, to export we also have to import, as one does not work without the other.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 4:25 pm

If there is a balance it would not happen but there is not - we don't make anything any more so protectionism wouldn't affect us any more

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 4:54 pm

THAT, my friend, just goes to show how much you know about economics !

There IS an "imbalance" - of that there is no doubt - but your idea of paying our workers the same as they get paid in the far and middle East is a simply-ludicrous suggestion.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:18 am

I realise that is not possible, but an example of what needs to be taken into account when negotiating wage rates and unemployment levels, sorry minimum wage levels.

Meanwhile you are changing the thread - people driving Japanese cars should be made to pay extra taxes for all the unemployment they create Smile

CC

PS Did you see the South Park episode where a cloud of toxic 'smug' threatened America from all the drivers of Priouses?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm

Ignoring your dig at my Prius......

No I am NOT "changing the thread" as wage-levels in Britain and the rest of the Western world are tightly connected to the cost off living in such places.

The minimum wage is a set at the absolute-lowest level that it can be so that people earning this rate can be independent from claiming benefits. If it was any lower this would not be the case and the top-ups that would be required to hold these people above the poverty line would come from the taxpayers.

It is the responsibility of every employer to ensure that their workers get this rate as a minimum and the ones that do not pay this legal rate should be very quickly prosecuted. Sadly the enforcement of the minimum wage is very poor and patchy at best and the gangmasters who rip off their workers because of this weakness are not often brought to book.

NOW... your laboured and simply WRONG point about "buying British" being enforced: People like you regularly go on about the "free-market-economy" and if you want this ethic to reign then you have to put up with foreign imports being more attractive to the consumers. You cannot have a free-market-ethic and protectionism too. One does not allow the other to exist !

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2368
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:12 pm

Getting back to the topic....

What is wrong here is that China has far too much influence in global trading.

I do not think that it is an accident that China has gone Capitalistic in the world markets as they know that Communism is a dead-duck and has no influence over the rich West.

They are making their goods of such cheapness and yet of such good quality that we cannot resist buying them. They know that we cannot compete and that eventually we will lose so much work to them and the other far-eastern economies that we will finish up in a very weak position.

Communism could never beat us but this form of sneaky Communism can and will unless we do something about it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:22 am

Oh Angie, I do so agree with that !

I have spoken at length, in many places, about this apparent paradox of China being an aggressively-Capitalist country as far as world trade is concerned and it too being a Communist country that should not allow such Capitalistic practices to even exist.

What needs to happen is that the people of China need to rise up again and turn China into a fully and totally Capitalistic country where they can earn decent wages. Once they do this we will see a totally different China appearing whereby they can no-longer beat the West with their cheap and damaging exports.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 22 Jun 2017, 12:57 pm