Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Another foreign owner pulls the plug.....

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Another foreign owner pulls the plug.....

Post by papa_umau on Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

Halls of Broxburn have been a leading company in Scotland since 1932, ( more than 70 years ), and during that time they have become the largest producer in Britain of pork products.

A few years ago this previous family company was taken over by a large foreign firm: Vion Food of Holland and since then it has gone on from strength to strength.

Only a year ago the 1700 workers in the factory were promised that their jobs were safe and yet after this promise we find that the parent company say they are closing the factory with the loss of these jobs - and the knock-on effect that this will have on pig-production in Scotland.

Most of us know that in this climate of austerity many companies are struggling to survive but I think that on this occasion it is a case of deliberate destruction rather than of simple failure.

After announcing that Vion Foods were to close this factory it was discovered that they have just invested 11.5 million in an identical plant in Cookstown, Southern Tyrone.

The Union USDAW will be asking why this investment could not have been made in the halls factory instead of taking their money away to Ireland ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Another foreign owner pulls the plug.....

Post by zathrus on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:04 am

Yes, doesn't that make you furious ?

How many times have we seen this happening in the past ?

I have often thought that if we took back all of the companies in Britain that are now owned by the Arabs, the Germans, the Americans and increasingly, the Chinese we might actually be able to call this business sector British once again.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 14 Jul 2012, 1:14 pm

So true Zath'.

I know that this might sound cynical but I have always felt that many of the foreign takeovers that happen when British companies are struggling are nothing more than asset-stripping exercises.

I am sure that this pull-out by Dutch firm Vion is just another example of this where they will flog off the assets of the Scottish firm and this will give them a big pay-day where they can invest more in the Irish firm ( and via that investment, make bigger profits ), so that any competition that might have existed in the survival of Hall's of Broxburn will have been taken out.

In other words, NO competition is better than any kind of competition, when there is money to be made.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 14 Jul 2012, 1:18 pm

Yes Papa, sometimes you are a very cynical old sod ! Very Happy Twisted Evil

Maybe that is why we all love you so much ?

Post by Guest on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 8:22 am

I am always sorry to hear of any job losses and my heart goes out to everyone affected.

It would be nice to get to the real reason for the closure though - many factories have closed their UK operations and transferred production to the mainland in the last few years. The high strength of the pound was cited at first and now that has been laid to rest I was expecting a few multinationals to rue their decisions and start returning their production to the UK but it does not seem to be happening.

The last time there was a serious recession the then PM Margaret Thatcher spearheaded a 'Buy British' campaign that I am sure headed off many a factory closure. This time - there is nothing. Try finding where something was made before you buy it next time and if not the UK say "No Thanks"

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 2:08 pm

While that idea is laudable in wish, it is actually very impractical in reality.

When people are forced to have to buy as cheaply as they can in order to subsist they are always going to go for the best VFM ( value for money ).

This is an irrefutable part of consumerism and even if Thatcher's idea of "buying British" was a good one it is now simply too difficult to do in these days of austerity.

NOW.... The "why did they do it" question ?

I feel that the pulling out of Scotland by the Dutch Vion group was nothing more complicated than that of asset-stripping when we consider that they are planning to invest the money they can gather from this strip in an identical plant in the ROI. ( Also,Ireland still offers much better trade freebies than the UK does and this attracts companies like wasps to a honey-pot ).

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:32 pm