Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

If this could be true, what an absolutely depressing thought for the ordinary people of this country.

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

If this could be true, what an absolutely depressing thought for the ordinary people of this country.

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:52 pm

Please go here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2023/apr/06/election-conservatives-labour-economy-trust

Your thoughts please ?

Re: If this could be true, what an absolutely depressing thought for the ordinary people of this country.

Post by Guest on Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:03 am

13 years of labour mis-rule has left the country with a king sized overdraft that means we will be paying ever increasing taxes for years to come.

I wouldn't trust Labour to run a whelk stall!

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12196
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: If this could be true, what an absolutely depressing thought for the ordinary people of this country.

Post by papa_umau on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 11:05 am

It is obvious that you are terribly well informed about Labour's ( New-Labour in fact ), past history as far as the economy is concerned, but you never seem to remember just how bad it got under The Tories.

Such selective myopia is not worth anything if it is used to highlight the failings of any particular government while the failings of other governments were just as bad or even worse.

Let me remind you that since the second world war the jobless total ( over three million ), has never been worse than that under Thatcher and Major and that it was Norman Lamont, ( The Tory Chancellor ), that took Britain into "Black Wednesday".

Here is a quote from Wikipedia that reminds us of those dark Tory days of Geoffrey Howe, "boom and bust" Nigel Lawson and Norman Lamont:

"In politics and economics, Black Wednesday refers to the events of 16 September 1992 when the British Conservative government was forced to withdraw the pound sterling from the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM) after they were unable to keep it above its agreed lower limit. George Soros, the most high profile of the currency market investors, made over US$1 billion profit by short selling sterling.

In 1997 the UK Treasury estimated the cost of Black Wednesday at 3.4 billion, with the actual cost being 3.3 billion which was revealed in 2005 under the Freedom of Information Act".

So Clapco, before you start throwing accusations about about how bad the last government were it sometimes pays to look back just a little further.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 11:48 am

As you know I do believe that unemployment is a national disgrace, but as I have explained on other posts under the conservatives it does come down as they are 'business friendly' whereas Labour are not.

As to the costs of Black Wednesday I am sure you are right, but this is dwarfed by the 330 BILLION costs racked up by Gordon Bruin in his two years in office!

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 22 Jun 2012, 11:39 am

Well, maybe you SHOULD believe that "unemployment is a disgrace" as it is only the unemployed that can know what it is like to be out of work when they are fit and well and willing to work for a decent day's pay after a decent day's effort.

Every person unemployed in any society is an indictment on that society and when these figures reach two million or even up to three million there is a lot of pain out there.

Obviously, as you are well-admitted-by-your-actions-and-words to being a Tory slave you will never be able to see and appreciate that picture.

It is employers like you that give the unions the credence they get as the champions of the working people of this country as you are obviously pro-business and anti-union. It was employers like you that forced the people of this country to start to grow the workplace defences that are required nowadays after the cruel years of the Victorian "dark-satanic-mills".

I have always believed that if the employers of this country started to think about the needs of their employees as much as they do about their profits there would be no need for unions at all. They don't, so there is.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Post by Parliament.... on Fri 22 Jun 2012, 11:53 am

papa_umau wrote:Well, maybe you SHOULD believe that "unemployment is a disgrace" as it is only the unemployed that can know what it is like to be out of work when they are fit and well and willing to work for a decent day's pay after a decent day's effort.

Every person unemployed in any society is an indictment on that society and when these figures reach two million or even up to three million there is a lot of pain out there.

Obviously, as you are well-admitted-by-your-actions-and-words to being a Tory slave you will never be able to see and appreciate that picture.

It is employers like you that give the unions the credence they get as the champions of the working people of this country as you are obviously pro-business and anti-union. It was employers like you that forced the people of this country to start to grow the workplace defences that are required nowadays after the cruel years of the Victorian "dark-satanic-mills".

I have always believed that if the employers of this country started to think about the needs of their employees as much as they do about their profits there would be no need for unions at all. They don't, so there is.

Hi Pap. Also another indictment of our society is the way we treat our old.

So coupled with the unemployment being created by this right wing Tory lead coalitions agenda to create the same amount of unemployed people as during the Thatcher/Major years, I believe with the facts I have already placed on this site about how very badly we do treat our elderly people, I dont think we British have much to be proud about really.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 22 Jun 2012, 11:58 am

I cannot argue with that thought Ivanhoe as it is patently true !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 12:50 am