Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Smart meters...what are they ?

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Smart meters...what are they ?

Post by zathrus on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:36 am

While surfing around I found this site that has started to educate the people on what is about to become common in every home: Smart gas and electricity meters.

A roll-out of these meters is planned to be well under way by 2014 and once they are installed the customers of the energy companies are expected to be much better informed about energy-use and how to cut down on our bills.

One of the best things about these new meters is that once installed they will be able to be accessed by the energy companies directly without having to send out a meter-reader or making people read their own meters.

Find out more about these bits of kit here: http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/news/as-half-of-us-have-never-heard-of-smart-meters-consumer-focus-helps-you-to-get-smart-on-the-new-technology

Will this be a good thing or a bad thing ?

Re: Smart meters...what are they ?

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:53 am

I would say they will not make much difference. The utility companies will still need to visit periodically to check the meter hasnt been tampered with. The cost will be borne by the consumer though in return estimates should be more accurate. This will reduce the cashflow of the utility companies however as they ALWAYS overestimate in my experience, so yet more costs no doubt.

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm

What a downer you seem to be on these days Clapco !

I believe that these companies are going to have the installation of the new "smart meters" subsidised by central government so that the cost of this one-time installation is not piled onto the consumers in higher bills.

I have a particular interest in this plan as the last energy company, (Hydro-Electric ), I was with had sent so many estimated bills to me that they stopped having any relation to the actual energy consumed. I gave them the boot after a row about how much I truly owed.

I am now with Scottish Gas and they sent me a free energy monitor that tells me exactly how much electricity I am using. ( sadly there is no equivalent for gas-usage ). I now read my own meter each month and by doing so I get an accurate dual-fuel bill each month too.

This meter-reading lark is easy for me but I am not sure what would happen if I was not here. As such I think that the smart-meter idea would be a good one.

( Oh and BTW.... the number of times that an engineer might need to check up on the meter - any meter - for its safety and security would have nothing whatsoever to do with the number of times that it needs to be read to avoid estimated bills ).

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2510
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:26 pm

I think that I am finally getting a technology overload as no matter where I go or what I do I am faced with more and more hi-tec stuff to have to deal with.

It is all becoming a bit too much for me ! Mad
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 1:38 pm

It is true that our modern life in Britain is becoming very high-tech and it is hard for us stubborn and set-in-our-ways oldies to conform to all of this stuff.

The electronic revolution is upon us and either we are going to have to live with it or get left by the wayside as it passes us by.

One great thing is, is that the youngsters out there cannot get enough of this stuff and as they develop they are going to be getting out on the streets well armed with the abilities to drive most of this technology in their stride.

They are the future, but the thing is that it is us that are going to have to teach them to be able to move into this new millennium

Papa......

Post by Guest on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:06 am

I'm sure this will have been covered before, but you mention 'dual fuel'.

This to me smacks of a rip-off if you allow the companies selling one form of energy to sell another as it removes the competition element surely?

Just a thought

Clapco
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:33 am

Yes, that is strictly true and I am not one to do anything to decrease true competition.

That said, I think that the energy companies already get their heads together as far as setting prices are concerned, ( If not cartelling; which is illegal ).

As far as the consumers are concerned anything that makes their bills smaller is OK by me !

The "duel-fuel" racket has been ongoing now for many years and if committing to this practice did not provide cheaper and more competetive energy I am sure that many people would stop doing it.

Another point needs to be considered too: If a customer is allowing any of the energy companies to provide them with all of their energy needs in one place then billing is simpler and the threat to move BOTH services away from any company is likely to keep them attentive to their customers needs.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 5:00 pm