Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Poverty fear for workers !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12574
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Poverty fear for workers !

Post by papa_umau on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:59 am

A poll done by Oxfam has resulted in a call for a rise in the national minimum wage so that the low-paid workers can be protected from poverty.

Oxfam said: increasingly, more people at this end of society are suffering from benefits cuts, rising living standard costs and a severe lack of jobs.

Their call comes ahead of today's publication of figures which they say would show a rise in the number of working people living in poverty.

The charity's director of UK poverty , Chris Johnes said: If we carry on down this path the UK will return to levels of inequality not seen since Victorian times.

Well folks, it seems that what I have been saying for a very long time is now proved by these figures published by Oxfam !

And yes.... this IS a rip-off.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2653
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Poverty fear for workers !

Post by zathrus on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

Bad enough that the national minimum wage is too low, but it is even worse that so many crooks are able to employ desperate people in backbreaking and soul-destroying work while paying these people well under the present fixed rate.

I was reading yesterday that incidences of this type off slave-labour in Britain are growing out of control.

Why the hell do the cops and the immigration officials not nip this trade in the bud by prosecuting these so-called "gang-masters" ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm

Yes Zath'. If I was the cynical old dog that some people think I am I would say that there are times when the police deliberately ignore these lawbreakers. Some even think there is a place in British society for such very poorly paid workers.

The thing that the cops need to get a grip on is the fact that many of these people have been deliberately brought into the country to work at these soul-destroying jobs so that the gang-masters can make lots of money off their backs. As they are mostly illegal immigrants these poor folks have no come-back and nowhere to go to get help and as they have no legal standing in Britain.

This is an ongoing scandal which the authorities do not seem to have the will to stop.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:23 pm

Being a teacher of young kids I cannot avoid seeing the poverty that some of them are in when they come into my class. Politician after politician talk about child poverty but we never see anything done about the conditions that causes this situation.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

Yes Angie. That is so true !

I think that it is very sad when the likes of OXFAM need to tell US that we have thousands of children in poverty. After all Oxfam is a charitable body that normally gets us to help the poverty-stricken children abroad.

For us to admit that we have children suffering in poverty is an indictment on the way that this country has been run by successive different governments over a very long time.

They talk a good game but when it comes right down to sorting this scandal out, very little actually gets done.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 3:28 pm