Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Should Ecstacy and Cannabis be made more available ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Should Ecstacy and Cannabis be made more available ?

Post by papa_umau on Thu 31 May 2012, 1:02 pm

Professor David Nutt, an ex-government advisor, has stated that research on Ecstacy and Cannabis is being made difficult because of the strict rules making these drugs available to researchers.

Read THIS and come back an tell us what you think about this subject.

My personal view is that once such drugs are made easy to get by university researchers and their students there will only be a very small step to these drugs finding their way into the halls of residence and the digs of these same students.

Anybody ?

Papa......

Re: Should Ecstacy and Cannabis be made more available ?

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012, 3:10 pm

Er actually you may find it is easier to acquire on campus than through official channels.

Price would be the only difference.

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 1:08 pm

It would be illegal no matter where these drugs are acquired from and I don't think that increasing the easy flow of such materials is going to do anything towards limiting their use in and around universities.

In fact I DO support the decriminalising of many "social" drugs as by doing so and taking them out of the hands of the crooks the illegal drugs trade and the money made by drug cartels could be slashed to very low levels.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 12:50 pm

I am in two minds about this one as on the one hand it would be great to take the drugs out of the hands of the crooked traffickers but on the other hand I think that the cost to the taxpayer to do that would be too high and therefore prohibitive.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 03 Jun 2012, 1:58 pm

One argument that has been proven successful in the Scandinavian countries is that if legalisation takes place, two things become evident soon afterwards: 1). Less drug abuse actually results. and 2). The health services have better control over drug addictions.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:50 am

I totally agree Paps, but if we are right why are they tightening up on tobacco sales and alcohol sales? Some sort of misguided attempt to bring back prohibition under the pretext that retro is cool?

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:49 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............. That is actually quite a good question Clapco !

I think that ordinary tobacco is different because so many people used to smoke and the cost at that time to the NHS because of smoking-related illnesses was so high it was going to be a win-win situation if the law banning smoking in public places was initiated and enforced.

The people who strove for this ban - including myself, who used to be a heavy smoker - have been supported by the fact that this law has seriously cut down on the cancers and heart-conditions that were costing our NHS a fortune.

While nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug, because of the number of people that USED-TO smoke the reduction of these numbers to less than a third of what was normal then has had a great effect on the general heath of the nation. The clearing up of the other addictive drugs is a much harder task to carry out as they are endemic to the poorer areas that successfully hide this underworld trade.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:37 pm

Don't forget that the cost to the NHS of smoking is ZERO - people still get sick and I am sure people like you will be bleating about how the NHS should spend even more to keep people alive.....

Claps
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:53 pm

Where do you get that idea from Clapco ?

The cost to the NHS of smoking used to be a very high during the attempts to treat those who got sick because of the results of this filthy habit.

Lung and throat cancers have dropped markedly since the smoking ban came in and the many other connected illnesses that used to occur as a result of smoking have diminished too.

Also, why should the NHS and the government not try to keep more people alive as what they are doing by this is just succeeding in keeping it the way it should be anyway.

And yes, I am not a smoker and I never have been. It is like kissing an old ash-tray to kiss a smoker. YUK Mad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 6:02 pm