* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE
I warn you … Neil Kinnock’s speech in Bridgend, Glamorgan, on 7 June 1983, rates as one of the finest speeches ever made in British politics. 5 1 2

I warn you … Neil Kinnock’s speech in Bridgend, Glamorgan, on 7 June 1983, rates as one of the finest speeches ever made in British politics.

Ivanhoe
    General
    General

Number of posts: 1550
    Registration date: 2009-09-29

I warn you … Neil Kinnock’s speech in Bridgend, Glamorgan, on 7 June 1983, rates as one of the finest speeches ever made in British politics.

Post by Ivanhoe on Wed May 16, 2012 10:51 am

It was two days before the General Election. He was elected leader of the Labour Party at the party conference in October 1983.

Here is the full text of what he said.

If Margaret Thatcher is re-elected as prime minister on Thursday, I warn you.

I warn you that you will have pain–when healing and relief depend upon payment.

I warn you that you will have ignorance–when talents are untended and wits are wasted, when learning is a privilege and not a right.

I warn you that you will have poverty–when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can’t pay.

I warn you that you will be cold–when fuel charges are used as a tax system that the rich don’t notice and the poor can’t afford.

I warn you that you must not expect work–when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don’t earn, they don’t spend. When they don’t spend, work dies.

I warn you not to go into the streets alone after dark or into the streets in large crowds of protest in the light.

I warn you that you will be quiet–when the curfew of fear and the gibbet of unemployment make you obedient.

I warn you that you will have defence of a sort–with a risk and at a price that passes all understanding.

I warn you that you will be home-bound–when fares and transport bills kill leisure and lock you up.

I warn you that you will borrow less–when credit, loans, mortgages and easy payments are refused to people on your melting income.

If Margaret Thatcher wins on Thursday–

- I warn you not to be ordinary

- I warn you not to be young

- I warn you not to fall ill

- I warn you not to get old.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts: 8297
    Registration date: 2008-08-23

Re: I warn you … Neil Kinnock’s speech in Bridgend, Glamorgan, on 7 June 1983, rates as one of the finest speeches ever made in British politics.

Post by papa_umau on Wed May 16, 2012 11:14 am

Yes, that is an excellent speech with which to refresh the minds of the electorate.

Having said that I think that maybe the title should be shortened and re-arranged a bit to make it more punchy and to not look like the warning is coming from you.

Something like this:

The "I warn you" speech from Neil Kinnock on 7 June 1983, rates as one of the finest speeches ever made in British politics !

Mind you, if that does not switch on our Clapco, nothing will Twisted Evil

Papa......

Ivanhoe
    General
    General

Re: I warn you … Neil Kinnock’s speech in Bridgend, Glamorgan, on 7 June 1983, rates as one of the finest speeches ever made in British politics.

Post by Ivanhoe on Wed May 16, 2012 11:25 am

papa_umau wrote:Yes, that is an excellent speech with which to refresh the minds of the electorate.

Having said that I think that maybe the title should be shortened and re-arranged a bit to make it more punchy and to not look like the warning is coming from you.

Something like this:

The "I warn you" speech from Neil Kinnock on 7 June 1983, rates as one of the finest speeches ever made in British politics !

Mind you, if that does not switch on our Clapco, nothing will Twisted Evil

Pap, With all due respect to you and this site, I'm not in the least bit interested in what Clapco thinks. May you enjoy responding to all of his respones to, as you say, this excellent piece.

Post by Guest on Wed May 16, 2012 4:46 pm

What good did it do him?

Clapco

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu May 17, 2012 12:09 pm

You obviously have no knowledge of the history of the Labour Party, Clapco, as if you did you would know that Neil Kinnock is lauded as one of the party's greatest elder statesmen and now as a Lord he is still respected by many inside and outside of the party.

He has the unusual record of being the party leader that sat in opposition for the longest period of nearly nine years.

Yes, he WAS a bit too far left-wing for some in the party and that point and him sticking to his guns did him no favours while he was a Labour politician.

Read THIS and get yourself educated.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Thu May 17, 2012 12:15 pm

I was there, but for the benefit of the less experienced members of the forum, just remind me, how many governments did he form?

There is a school of thought within Tory circles that he was the reasin Maggie was elected. How good does that make him?

Just a thought...

CC

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu May 17, 2012 12:31 pm

As I already said - and which you seem to have missed - is the fact that he was just too far left for his own good.

There is another great statesman that was probably too far left for his own good too and that was Tony Benn.

It is great people like these that the dull old New-Labour party needs in order to revitalise it.

It is my dream that one day the party WILL go back to the great vision and the wonderful values that these men brought to it.

Politics in Britain have tinkered with the right-wing values - and their associated greed - for far too long and just like what is happening in Europe at the moment we too need to go back to the days of caring for the people on the ground and not just the rich and powerful ones.

Papa......

Ivanhoe
    General
    General

Post by Ivanhoe on Thu May 17, 2012 12:59 pm

papa_umau wrote:As I already said - and which you seem to have missed - is the fact that he was just too far left for his own good.

There is another great statesman that was probably too far left for his own good too and that was Tony Benn.

It is great people like these that the dull old New-Labour party needs in order to revitalise it.

It is my dream that one day the party WILL go back to the great vision and the wonderful values that these men brought to it.

Politics in Britain have tinkered with the right-wing values - and their associated greed - for far too long and just like what is happening in Europe at the moment we too need to go back to the days of caring for the people on the ground and not just the rich and powerful ones.

Here here, Pap.

Post by Guest on Fri May 18, 2012 10:37 am

Whilst I will agree with you about Tony Benn (who incidentally enjoyed the benefits of a private education), Kinnock was nothing special - known at the time as the 'Welsh Windbag' I seem to recall. Mrs Thatcher made many speeches that were quoted by the media and still are today but you don't want to know about that I suppose. I'm not a Maggie fan myself anyway.

CC

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri May 18, 2012 12:21 pm

I think we are starting to get through to you Clapco !

Just keep coming here and we will convert you into a real human-being eventually. Twisted Evil

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri May 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Like you you mean? Sat in your ivory tower protected by an iron clad civil service pension?

No thanks - I prefer the real world. I am a builder who makes his living putting a roof over peoples heads. I deal with real people and solve real problems.

CC

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri May 18, 2012 12:56 pm

That might not be a bad thing for you to do: get like me, I mean, as I at least care about my fellow man while like a lot more modern people all you seem to care about is profit and yourself.

It seems so unreal that you should be a "builder" for a living and yet all you do is destroy when you come onto the internet.

I honestly cannot see what drives trolls but in your case I think that you are NOT completely out of the range of some help.

All you need to do is to keep talking to me and I will eventually wear you down and make a better man out of you in the long run..

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri May 18, 2012 1:25 pm

I suppose you could say I knock down ivory towers yes, but trolling, no.

I have several customers who are unable to pay me what is owed but I refuse to have them evicted because I don't agree with it. That doesn't put food on my plate though. Or pay my workers wages - and no I don't ask them to take a pay cut because I can't afford to pay them.

CC

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat May 19, 2012 10:41 am

Admit it Clapco..... you are a chameleon that does not know exactly what colour you want to be.

As I said before...It's "make your mind up time".

Papa......

Post by Guest on Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 am

Not at all - I am free enterprise whatever colour that is. Little government. Responsibility for our own actions. Low Taxation.

You are so set in your 'us and them' ways you can't see what is actually happening any more

Clapco

Current date/time is Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:22 pm