Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Minimum price of alcohol to be 50p per unit.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12108
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Minimum price of alcohol to be 50p per unit.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 May 2012, 12:37 pm

From today and as a result of the SNP government in Scotland eventually being able to push though their policy because of a new voting majority, Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon is going to report that from early next year alcohol pricing will go up to a cost of 50p per unit.

See THIS.

If the measure is introduced next year it will mean that a bottle of vodka could not be sold for less than 13.12. and a two-litre bottle of cider would cost at least 6.

Well folks, what do you think of that then ?

I know that this is for Scotland only - at the moment - but as what happens in Scotland usually finishes up also happening in England I think it is good to be aware that such plans are afoot up here.

Most of us might feel - especially in Scotland - that we do have a serious problem with alcohol abuse and that governments SHOULD be doing something about this abuse, but, do we agree that this is the best way to attack this abuse ?

Personally, I feel that this policy - while it will certainly make the acquisition of alcohol much harder for the youngsters that are the great problem here - I also think that this across the board plan will make life difficult and much more expensive for the poorest in our society that are already responsible drinkers.

What do YOU say ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2520
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Minimum price of alcohol to be 50p per unit.

Post by zathrus on Wed 16 May 2012, 11:24 am

Yeah mate, actions like this are bound to hit the poorer folks the hardest as they buy their "tipple" from the supermarket.

For instance, I buy one 70centilitre bottle of vodka a week and it lasts a week because I only have one small one each night as a nightcap and now I am going to find that when England introduces this punishing price-jump I may have to pay 15.00 for this bottle instead of the 11.00 I pay at the moment.

It is going to raise social drinking to a level that only the well off can afford.

What is worse is that it will not stop the drink abusers from getting the drink that they need as the drunkards in our society will always get what they want even if they have to steal it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 17 May 2012, 11:56 am

Oh My God, you are so right about that Zath'.

Although this bump-up in price will not happen until next Spring up here It will eventually come around and it will mean that my "little tipple" of the odd brandy will go up too.

I guess I am just going to have to go out to the pub more often as the prices in pubs are said to not be effected by this price-rise.

The "trouble-and-strife" will not be happy about that idea ! Evil or Very Mad

Papa......

Post by Guest on Thu 17 May 2012, 12:04 pm

If you can find one that hasn't closed down because of the smoking ban!

Clappers
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 17 May 2012, 12:53 pm

Don't change the subject Clapco if you do not have the ability to talk to the topic !

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri 18 May 2012, 10:12 am

Oh lighten up grand-dad

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 May 2012, 12:04 pm

If you want to talk about the smoking ban then create a thread that we can talk about it in !

NOW... what was the subject here again ?

Ah yes......Putting up the cost of alcohol to 50p a unit.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri 18 May 2012, 12:24 pm

The cost in your local neighbourhood pub far exceeds this

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 May 2012, 12:49 pm

Another of those throwaway single-line answers I see !

The cost in the pubs is another subject altogether.

This law that takes effect next Spring in Scotland - and which will be taken up in England soon afterwards - has nothing whatsoever to do with the cost of booze in the pubs as it is directed at your local corner shops and the large supermarkets.

While I agree that the cost of booze in the pubs is too high I think that the effect that this latest government ploy will have is that it will drive more people back to the pubs where they will at least get a social life as they are ripped off for the price of the drink in these establishments.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri 18 May 2012, 1:17 pm

Which is my point - the price in pubs is way way over the price in supermarkets and they can't have a fag either so why bother? The minimum price should be 1 per unit.

I do agree that pubs are more social though the problem becomes visible once again

You haven't said this is a conspiracy by the (greedy) breweries to drive people back to their pubs yet BTW

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 19 May 2012, 10:26 am

That's true Clapco, because, this time it is not a conspiracy by the "greedy" breweries.

Mind you it HAS in the past been a conspiratorial act by the big breweries - who own many of the pubs - to get their heads together and nudge the prices to the punters up and up until they cut off their own noses to spite their faces by driving thousands of pub-goers into buying cheap drink in the supermarkets and staying at home.

NOW... by forcing the price of supermarket drink up to 50p a unit the government are curiously going to drive the punters back into the pubs.

The people who get ripped off every time something like this is done is us - the punters on the streets.

The smoking ban is a red herring and I am not even going to get into that with you.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 20 May 2012, 11:20 am

Anybody that knows me knows that I enjoy the odd bottle of wine now and again and as an occasional drinker I am going to be hit quite hard by this 50p per unit rise if it ever comes to England.

What I noticed about Scotland was that the most dangerous alcohol that is sold there, namely Buckfast Tonic Wine, will not be effected by this rise ????????

It will be nice to try to get my partner to take me to the pub with him now and again as I don't know if I will be able to afford to drink at home any more.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 21 May 2012, 11:26 am

Yes my dear this plan is going to hit the occasional drinker while the heavy drinker that needs his or her drink is going to get it whatever way they need to.

I do not see this move actually helping drinking to excess and all of the associated problems that are common in Scotland as the drunks will still be out on the streets causing havoc long after this price rise has been assimilated by the average Joe or Jen.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 1:38 pm