Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Government to consider privatising roads.

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Government to consider privatising roads.

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 2:04 pm

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Private roads

Post by Technician on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:39 pm

Hi all,

Hello Ivanhoe. Thanks for that thread, I had read about this earlier today. Don't know what the oppinion is on this board, for what its worth:

Motorists have been 'cash cows' for long enough. Its fine talking about paying for private roads (as seen in France for instance), but they don't pay the petrol prices we pay. Pensioners are also better off.

50 billion (approx) in vehicle excise duty, about 8 billon spent on roads. Enough said.

Crippling tax on petrol..where does this go ???..On ROADS, I think not.

Up here 'in the north' the people of Manchester gave a resounding NO to any form of congestion charging ( ie paying to use the roads, remember, we already do ). Expect all hell to play if this goes ahead.

EVERYTHIG the governments have privatised have ended up costing us MORE and giving us a poorer sevice. I am afraid this may be the way the NHS goes once Cameron and Lansley get their way by ignoring dissent. I just hope to God they are all out on their ear before they can cause too much damage.

Technician

Parliament....
    General
    General

Re: Government to consider privatising roads.

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:39 pm

Technician wrote:Hi all,

Hello Ivanhoe. Thanks for that thread, I had read about this earlier today. Don't know what the oppinion is on this board, for what its worth:

Motorists have been 'cash cows' for long enough. Its fine talking about paying for private roads (as seen in France for instance), but they don't pay the petrol prices we pay. Pensioners are also better off.

50 billion (approx) in vehicle excise duty, about 8 billon spent on roads. Enough said.

Crippling tax on petrol..where does this go ???..On ROADS, I think not.

Up here 'in the north' the people of Manchester gave a resounding NO to any form of congestion charging ( ie paying to use the roads, remember, we already do ). Expect all hell to play if this goes ahead.

EVERYTHIG the governments have privatised have ended up costing us MORE and giving us a poorer sevice. I am afraid this may be the way the NHS goes once Cameron and Lansley get their way by ignoring dissent. I just hope to God they are all out on their ear before they can cause too much damage.

Technician

Hi Technician, Yes Im aware of all that, but thanks for putting the information up anyway.

The reason why petrol is cheaper in France, and indeed across the EU, is because EU Government's subsidise their fuel, and also that French workers pay more income tax than we do, but the French dont have our unjust council tax, and yes State pensions are higher in France, and across the EU in general.

The fact is that we Brit's are living in a low income tax Britain, which we have been since Thatcher. And also since Thatcher we have been losing the role of the State regarding investment and subsidy, in favour of privatisation.

So there you have it Technician, in a way we Brit's get what we pay for, because the EU are high income tax nations, where the role of their State plays a vital part re- investment and subsidy.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm

I think that Osborne is just trying it on as he knows only too well that the British motorists and the hauliers and all of the other road-users are totally sick of being the government's "cash-cow" ( Thanks Technician ).

The fact that the SNP government in Scotland has dropped all toll-roads and toll-bridges and has went on to achieve a very strong voting majority in our parliament will also be in his mind

I firmly believe that Osborne and his Tory robbers are trying very hard to find the best ways that they can to increase taxation via the stealth taxes rather than going down the dangerous road of direct taxation and that is why he is mooting such ideas, just to get the reaction.

I do not think that he will have the courage or the foolishness to actually hit the motorists etc' any harder when he publishes his budget tomorrow as I am sure that to do this - he knows - would be an act of self-destruction.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 7:24 pm

papa_umau wrote:I think that Osborne is just trying it on as he knows only too well that the British motorists and the hauliers and all of the other road-users are totally sick of being the government's "cash-cow" ( Thanks Technician ).

The fact that the SNP government in Scotland has dropped all toll-roads and toll-bridges and has went on to achieve a very strong voting majority in our parliament will also be in his mind

I firmly believe that Osborne and his Tory robbers are trying very hard to find the best ways that they can to increase taxation via the stealth taxes rather than going down the dangerous road of direct taxation and that is why he is mooting such ideas, just to get the reaction.

I do not think that he will have the courage or the foolishness to actually hit the motorists etc' any harder when he publishes his budget tomorrow as I am sure that to do this - he knows - would be an act of self-destruction.

Pap. there is no doubt at all that George Osborne is going down the stealth tax road here, no pun intended. Osborne is doing this because he simply will not increase income tax on the rich.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:36 am

You are right Ivanhoe, and I will go a bit further:

Today he is expected to reduce the top rate of tax for the highest earners from 50p in the pound to 40p in the pound so as to keep in with them while he is actually terrified of putting up any kind of direct taxation for anybody.

All politicians know that direct taxation is a vote-loser and that is why they are terrified of using it.

As he has to get his money somewhere I will bet you that he has thought about new and sneaky ways of taxing us indirectly.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:56 am

papa_umau wrote:You are right Ivanhoe, and I will go a bit further:

Today he is expected to reduce the top rate of tax for the highest earners from 50p in the pound to 40p in the pound so as to keep in with them while he is actually terrified of putting up any kind of direct taxation for anybody.

All politicians know that direct taxation is a vote-loser and that is why they are terrified of using it.

As he has to get his money somewhere I will bet you that he has thought about new and sneaky ways of taxing us indirectly.

Pap, not taxing the rich more helped to build up the Deficit in the first place. I bet when the end of this Parliament happens, or if a general election comes sooner, the Deficit will be even higher than when this coalition was formed.

I mean, let's face it, cutting the Deficit left by the last New Labour Government was just an excuse for the Tory's to begin reducing the role of the State. Yet this deficit cutting was promoted, initiated, and encouraged by the TV media, prior to the general election, it was infact a ruddy media circus.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:43 am

I don't actually blame the media as they are just voracious animals that will feed on anybody and anything that will provide them with a story.

As seen by the bru-ha-ha over the News of the World I don't think that they are going to get away with nearly as much as they used to. I think that the Leveson enquiry is going to make great reductions to the press-abuse that they inflict over the freedom of the individual.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

papa_umau wrote:I don't actually blame the media as they are just voracious animals that will feed on anybody and anything that will provide them with a story.

As seen by the bru-ha-ha over the News of the World I don't think that they are going to get away with nearly as much as they used to. I think that the Leveson enquiry is going to make great reductions to the press-abuse that they inflict over the freedom of the individual.

It all boils down to the people, Pap.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

I used to enjoy driving, although I cannot a present due to cataracts.

I don't intend to start again, even after the eye surgery.

It's just not worth the aggro, nor the drain on the meagre finances!

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm

That's sad HG as after they have fixed your cataracts your eyesight will be excellent again.

Mind you I do see where you are coming from as many elderly people in your situation are now being forced to lose a lot of their pleasure in life by the draconian acts of this devalued and greedy government.

I hope that at the next election we go back to some true Labour values where it is the ordinary people and the old and the poor and the sick of Britain that are cared for once again.

To this end, have a look at the campaign that Ivanhoe and myself have just launched.

Find it HERE

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 9:35 pm