* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The TIMPSON experience !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts: 8661
    Registration date: 2008-08-23

The TIMPSON experience !

Post by papa_umau on Thu 8 Mar - 13:16

I was yesterday shopping around - as I do - for the best price I could find for putting a battery into my expensive diver's watch. I wandered around Stirling, ( central Scotland ), trying to find this best price and I found not only a good price and a very good service, but I found out something a bit curious too.

Here's my story:

Straight out of the car-park the first place I came to was a Timpsons shop and I asked for a price there. They said that they would put in a battery for 12-odds and give a one year guarantee. They also offered a lifetime guarantee for battery replacement for 15-odds.

I said I would shop around !

I next came to the watch repair centre in Debenhams and they also quoted 12-odds for a one year guarantee. I did not take up the offer and I went on !

Now it starts to get curious !

I found another Timpsons watch-repair shop across the street from Debenhams and I went in there. ( Branch number SS7 ).

To my surprise they offered me a change of battery, a one year guarantee AND a pressure test for only 7-odds. When I asked them if they do a lifetime guarantee of battery changes they quoted 11-odds for this extra service.

Well folks, what do I make of that then ?

I suppose my experience only goes to prove that it always pays to shop around when looking for services of this type and it also shows that even Timpsons shops compete against each-other.

It looks as if healthy competition is still alive and well on the streets of Stirling - at least.

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 11 Mar - 12:29; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

zathrus
    General
    General

Number of posts: 1668
    Registration date: 2008-08-21

Re: The TIMPSON experience !

Post by zathrus on Sat 10 Mar - 12:41

Ha ha.... Very Happy

It looks as if the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing there. Anyway, you made the best deal by shopping around Paps.

Good for you !

As I do very little of the shopping I always tell the wife to do that when she is buying such stuff for me. Twisted Evil

Hell's Granny
    Colonel
    Colonel

Number of posts: 623
    Registration date: 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 10 Mar - 14:03

Sounds like Timpsons is a franchise.....

Cheers, HG

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts: 8661
    Registration date: 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 11 Mar - 12:43

I did a wee search online and it seems as if it DOES work very like a franchise even if I don't think it is actually one.

It seems that the Timson bosses want their shops to run on what they call an "upside-down" type of management where the actual managers of the stores have a lot of leeway in using their own creativity within the true ethos of the company.

This seems to work very well as doing it this way keeps all of their workers fresh and on-the-ball.

This management style certainly succeeded for me when I went looking for competiton on the high street.

Keep up the good work Timpson ! Twisted Evil

Papa......

Current date/time is Mon 22 Dec - 13:24