Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The cost of televised sport in pubs ?

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2400
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

The cost of televised sport in pubs ?

Post by Angie baby on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 12:47 pm

My partner - who is a keen football-fan and pubgoer - has asked me to mention about the high cost that pubs have to make to be allowed to televise live sporting events using SKY.

Now that these costs have reached such an unaffordable level - he says - many of the smaller pubs can no longer afford to put on such live television events.

Recently a woman pub-landlady refused to pay what Sky wanted her to pay and she brought in a foreign decoder box so that her customers could watch big sports events at a cheaper level.

It was reported yesterday that a High Court ruling said that the 8000 fine that this person had been hit with for using Greek broadcaster NOVA Sports TV for this purpose could not stand.

The landlady, "Karen" had been paying 800.00 a year for the use of the Greek decoder box at the Red-White-and-Blue pub in Portsmouth after she gave up the SKY subscription that was costing her and her customers 700.00 A MONTH.

It is said that Sky are to appeal this High Court decision.

What do you think folks ?
    Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Sky Sport

Post by Technician on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:49 pm

Hi all,

That's interesting Angie. I am not much of a sports fan, but that price from SKY is taking the p***!!!!. Good on the landlady for trying to give her customers what they want. Its bad enough for pubs to survive in this country without being clobbered by that.

I just cannot see how SKY could take action ??. If she wanted to buy a Greek decoder what is the problem, who says she must use ruddy SKY!!. Many years ago I had a SKY package ( which I asked to pay for yearly !) this was Ok for a bit, but they did not like it, and insisted that I go monthly. Hardly surprising as they were putting the price up all the time. well, I finishd with them and got a freeview !.

In my opinion ANYONE who buys anything from the SKY empire or any of the associated 'news items' is feeding one corrupt organisation. I for one do not intend to fill their coffers.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: The cost of televised sport in pubs ?

Post by papa_umau on Sun 26 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

Well, even as an admitted "champion of the masses" I too have to guiltily admit that I have Sky satellite in my home.

As Sky now has so many independent TV-producing-stations, channels and companies on it's platform I feel that I would be cutting my nose off to spite my face by getting rid of the whole platform.

I have reduced the cost to me to Sky as much as I can get away with by not subscribing to any Sky Movies or Sky Sports channels and only having the one family channel that is purely Sky. I do have to admit that I have also taken the High Definition service as there are now around fifty HD channels available even without the purely Sky-channels.

That aside for the moment, I have always known that the cost to pubs clubs and hotels for the reception and showing of Sky channels to the public comes at a very high price.

As we are still part of The European Common Market and there is supposed to be no borders when we are trading with each-other then I find it very easy to support that we should be able to get access to foreign, ( European Union ), service-providers and communications companies within this Common Market. I don't think that Sky actually has a leg to stand on here as what they are doing by forcing us to only take their transmissions is counter to the competition agreements that are well accepted by all as members of this union.

In other words...Either this is a common market or it is not !

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2512
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:20 pm

Yes peeps, this is where the European lawmakers could actually get something done that would be to the advantage of the British sports-fans.
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2400
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 03 Mar 2012, 2:20 pm

Technician wrote:Hi all,

That's interesting Angie. I am not much of a sports fan, but that price from SKY is taking the p***!!!!. Good on the landlady for trying to give her customers what they want. Its bad enough for pubs to survive in this country without being clobbered by that.

I just cannot see how SKY could take action ??. If she wanted to buy a Greek decoder what is the problem, who says she must use ruddy SKY!!. Many years ago I had a SKY package ( which I asked to pay for yearly !) this was Ok for a bit, but they did not like it, and insisted that I go monthly. Hardly surprising as they were putting the price up all the time. well, I finishd with them and got a freeview !.

In my opinion ANYONE who buys anything from the SKY empire or any of the associated 'news items' is feeding one corrupt organisation. I for one do not intend to fill their coffers.

Technician

Hi Technician, and thanks for your support to my threadstarter.

I am sure that my partner will be pleased when I tell him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 20 Jul 2017, 11:43 pm