Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The Network Rail executives refuse their bonuses.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The Network Rail executives refuse their bonuses.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:43 pm

In a wonderful people-power move it has been reported that the CEO and all of his top boardroom members of Network Rail have declined from accepting the bonuses that they were said to be going to get.

Now that Fred Goodwin has had his knighthood taken from him and CEO Stephen Hester has refused his bonus and the whole boardroom of Network Rail have refused their blood-money bonuses it seems that public opinion IS at last having an effect on fat-cat pay.

Let's hope that this effect continues and that the hundreds of top fat-cats that are expecting these obscene bonuses are brought down a peg or two by losing this money too.

The most dangerous sector, that seems to have it's own protection, is the investment sector in the city of London financial square mile and if we can pressurise them too from taking such unearned bonuses we will have finally exerted a modicum of sanity into this ugly scandal.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: The Network Rail executives refuse their bonuses.

Post by zathrus on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:47 am

Yes, there is no doubt that this is great news, but I wonder how long it will last as there are a lot more bonuses in the pipeline before the turn of the financial year.

I think that those banks and companies that have nothing to do with the public purse will just go ahead and continue paying their top executives the big money and even if there was anything that could be done by government I don't think they will do anything as they are too scared of being called "anti-business".

They don't want to upset their friends and paymasters do they ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm

No zath' they don't !

That is the whole problem associated with the Tory-led government as they are far too closely connected with the private industries of today.

Governments should be seen to be impartial when they do what they are supposed to do for us but this government could never say or do this.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 11:50 am

It once used to be said that the Labour party were too close to the unions and the Tory party were too close to the CBI and while I am sure that that is still true, I don't think that the unions have nearly the same power as they used to while the Tories are still in the pay of the big private businesses.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 11:32 am

Yes, I agree that that is now the case.

The power of the unions is still there but it is not tied so tightly to the Labour movement as it once was.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:32 pm