Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Car insurance with breakdown cover

korky48

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2012-01-21

Car insurance with breakdown cover

Post by korky48 on Sat 21 Jan 2012, 10:31 am

I have discovered another rip off.
    Last year a changed my car insurance to Churchill and was offered road side assistance at 25.50 this according to Churchill was a 50% reduced cost. So this year I got the renewal and it went up to 35.00 so about 45.00 with a so called 25% discount. The majority of the insurance companies use Green Flag so I went onto their web site and discovered that the same package i.e. basic road side assistance was less than 22.00!. Well I called Churchill and asked them to explain why they were charging so much and pretending to give a discount, they would not give me a satisfactory reply all the guy could say that they had to cover their costs !! So I asked someone in the know and discovered that insurance companies get a sort of finders fee from Green Flag so its even cheaper than the 21.50.
    So I accused Churchill of misleading information and ripping off customers, the reply from the member of staff was everything is more expensive every year so I cancelled my Churchill and went with another provider and got Green Flag assistance direct. SO WARN EVERYONE NOT TO TAKE OUT THESE POLICIES THROUGH THEIR INSURANCE PROVIDER IF THEY WANT IT THEN GO DIRECT TO GREEN FLAG OR A SIMILAR PROVIDER
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Car insurance with breakdown cover

Post by papa_umau on Sat 21 Jan 2012, 11:59 am

Hi korky48 and welcome to ROB ! ( Ripped Off Britain ).

This report is exactly why this sub-forum was created as it gives people who feel they have been been ripped-off somewhere to go to to vent their spleen.

Although this website does not have a terrible lot of writing members it does get a great lot of visitors that read but don't right. This stands at the moment at around 20,000 page-hits per month. As such many people will see your complaint and many will be forewarned about the sales tactics of Churchill.

Sadly, all of the companies that are on comparison sites pay a fee to the site so that they get a regular crack of the whip at all consumers that do these searches. Because of this it is sometimes better to actually do the search ones-self.

Thanks for the time and interest you took in relaying that warning to the regular users and visitors to ROB.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 21 Jan 2012, 12:10 pm

Hi korky 48. Thanks for the warning.

Actually, I have already been very wary of the tricks that insurance companies use to capture their new clients. They are probably the most voracious of all of the marketing companies.

One would expect that they might make a small reduction every year for it's faithful customers so that they then keep them coming back, but sadly they have a number of tricks that mean you think you are getting a discount but you are in fact not.

I have found that it is always a good thing to do to shop around for car, personal and home and contents insurance each year as once you have had the renewal letter from your previous insurer you can then take this proof of no-claims bonus you have to another company and get a real discount. It is a shame that these initial discounts only work for one year.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:49 pm

Yes guys n' gals that is why I call them "the marketeers" rather than marketing people.

I am sure that if millions of pounds were not spent on these extremely expensive marketing companies our goods in the shops would be much cheaper.

Even the cost of TV advertising must put up the prices of our staple goods by a margin as they try like bears to force our money out of our pockets and purses by a thousand tricks.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

Correctly so Paps.

I have found, and I am amused every year by this, when competing insurers promise to beat your renewable rate if you take it to them. Then next year they just fall back in line with the rest.

This means that to keep your insurance costs down you are forced to change insurance companies every year.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:51 pm