Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The proposed brand new high-speed rail link.....

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12351
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The proposed brand new high-speed rail link.....

Post by papa_umau on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 1:45 pm

After a Network Rail report has given the clearest indication yet that the 32billion HS2 high-speed rail project will be given the go-ahead it was demanded that this new line would have to go further than Birmingham if it is to paid for by all of the taxpayers of this country.

It seems ridiculous that all that would be achieved out of this VERY expensive project in these days of so-called austerity would be a 20-minute-faster journey from Birmingham to London.

The SNP government supported by Edinburgh Central MSP Marco Biagi said that the UK government should confirm that if this line is to go ahead that it MUST reach as far north as central Scotland.

What do you folks think about this new and expensive rail system ?

Q1). If this completely new rail-line is being paid for by all of the taxpayers of this country, should it not reach as far as Scotland, or....

Q2). Should this money instead be spent upgrading the best of the lines that already reach as far as Scotland, or....

Q3), Should this kind of money not be spent at all when so many people in this country are suffering from poverty and deprivation that could be helped by a small part of this expense.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1278
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: The proposed brand new high-speed rail link.....

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 2:42 pm

I agree, it is grossly unfai to expect everybody to pay for this line that few folk want. Let them as want it pay for it.

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 3:10 pm

What I cannot get over is the fact that It seems ridiculous that all that would be achieved out of this VERY expensive project in these days of so-called austerity would be a 20-minute-faster journey from Birmingham to London.

A lot of money being paid out for very little advantage !

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

High speed rail

Post by Technician on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 4:01 pm

Hi all,

Yes in total agreement here, but like much of this country its all talk, while our competitors just get on with it..Job done. It needs to run the WHOLE length of the country.

Over and above the cost (which it could be argued should be spent elsewhere ) If Alex Salmond and the SNP want the link to Scotland, which seems fair, then in the spirit of Scottish 'independence' why don't they cough up their share of the reddies ???? OR, am I confused about the funding ( I am no expert on this, but perhaps PAPS will put me right !!!)

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 12:33 pm

In no way do I want to "put you right" as you put it Technician, but I just think that if most of this expense is coming out of the treasury - that we ALL pay into - we should ALL get the benefits that this proposed new high-speed rail line will bring to South and central England.

In other words, as Scotland pays its share of the taxes taken from the whole country, surely it should get it's share of the benefits that will come from this great expense.

When and even IF we get our independence then that will be a whole different ballgame so long as we get to KEEP all of the taxes raised in Scotland.

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Rail Link

Post by Technician on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 7:10 pm

Hi All,

Yes, thought I had got the focus a little wrong..we ALL pay the taxes do we not. it seems even now there is going to be one hell of a stink about all this, and in the initial stage just half of it is to be built, just to Birmingham.

Who the hell sits on these planning committees ?????. However I heard a litte news today that made me choke on the cornflakes. Over and above the argument for Scottish independance ( and on a personal level I am with Salmond on this one. 'Call me Dave' and all the other London based so called politicians need to realise that the Scottish people are the ones to decide WHEN to have the vote, NOT his government no matter how much they want to dictate to us all ).
    It has been muted ( and guess who by ?? ) that if Scotland gets its independance then it will go it alone, and needs to be a seperate memeber of the EU!!. This means that the rules need following for ALL new members, and that it must adopt the EURO as its currency !!!!

Now imagine that if you can...What a dogs dinner!!!! Over and above the fact that the Euro will in all probabilty be a distant memory then, once they did join then they would become prey to the IMF and the European Central Bank, held to ransom; and if they got into debt then end up assest stripped and taken over by the EU manadarins who would 'fix the country' ( ie, as in Greece and Italy )

How would the Scottish people like that prospect....Think it could not happen ????

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:06 am

Sorry Technician, I am not going to worry at the moment about what currency we might or might not adopt if and when we do get independence as that will be worked out AFTER independence has been achieved.

Whatever happens in the interim it will be the settled will of the Scottish people what happens to Scotland up to and during the vote for or against independence.

One thing is certain, if Cameron knew half of the mentality of the Scots he would not try bullying us into doing something that he or Westminster wants. We already have our own parliament and every time Cameron tries that trick he is driving more and more people into the arms of the SNP.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 4:11 pm