Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Something to worry us ALL !

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Something to worry us ALL !

Post by Technician on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 8:49 am

Hi Folks,

Firstly all the very best for the new year to you all !, now, back to reality. IF this proposal (see below) goes forward and is approved by 'call me Dave' and the rest of this so called Government I am sure we will return to the riots, ie to quote:

'The latest chapter of a very disgraceful set of events ( from within the EU of course) will see Britain being forced to apply VAT (value added tax) on food and other items ( travel, newspapers etc) that until now had been exempt of VAT.

The IMF (International Monetary Fund) and the European Union want to force Britain to implement VAT on food, a tax that will affect those most in need. We already have people struggling to get a proper diet because they simply do not have enough money to eat.

So yet again, we are bing told what to do by the EU who are only concerned about raking more money in. I don't need to rant on via this site about my desire to get out of this toxic club; as if this hits the fan the overwhelming reaction of the public in this country will force the issue !!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Something to worry us ALL !

Post by papa_umau on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 1:49 pm

Yes Technician, I HAD heard something along those lines.

The thing is that because Britain has a the veto, ( which diddy Dave applied recently ) we don't HAVE TO adhere to all of the new laws that come out of Brussels.

I do think that this one is a very good time for the veto to be applied as if VAT is put on more food, ( it is already on certain foodstuffs ), the move will draw even further away from the original ethos that "VAT is a tax that only applies, ( or should only apply ), on luxury goods"

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:59 am

Yes mate, I think that the time has come for saying "enough is enough".

Of course our Davie-boy will not go against anything that will swell the coffers of the treasury, especially if he can blame someone else for the change in the law.
    riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 9:57 pm

they've already sneaked VAT on to some foods under the "something must be done" about junk food pretext.

Are people loosing weight - NO
    Are people getting healthier - NO
    And ultimately are people eating less junk food - NO - and that includes me Smile

Andrew

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 12:52 pm

Soooooo true Andrew !

VAT has always been a rip-off tax and even more so now that it is used as a stealth tax on just about everything.

At least when it was called Purchase Tax we all knew what it stood for but now it is a tax that is open for every fiddle that any government want to hit us with.

The original ethos of VAT, ( Value Added Tax ), was engineered so that it would it be raised from luxury goods that we might have a choice of buying - or not.

In other words it was a retail tax that the manufacturers and wholesalers did not need to pay as it was them that were putting on the "added value" at each step in the sales process.

Here is the definition of VAT from the HMRC site to businesses:

VAT explained

"Once your business is registered for VAT it will pay VAT on its purchases (‘input tax’) and charge VAT on its sales (‘output tax’).

The cost to your business is ultimately neutral because if your business receives more output tax from sales than it pays in input tax on purchases, it must pay the difference to HMRC. If more input tax has been paid than output tax charged, HMRC will refund the difference to the business".

Papa......

Post by Guest on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:57 pm

VAT is one of the most equitable taxes there is as it taxes consumption - if you dont wanna pay, don't consume!

It isn't a stealth tax either - it always was and hasn't really been extended even though it could be and should be.

It should be on newspapers - Rupert Murdoch earns his fortune from them so why should it be tax free?

It should be on travel - a luxury if ever there was one. The motorist pays it, why not the flyer? Why do I pay VAT to stay at a hotel in Scotland but not when i fly to Malaga?

But you are right on food - it should not be taxed ever!

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:51 am

Clapco wrote:VAT is one of the most equitable taxes there is as it taxes consumption - if you dont wanna pay, don't consume!
    CC

While I have little argument against most of what you say in that last post I HAVE TO take issue at that statement above:

You make consumption sound as if we can choose not to do it, but any economist knows that if we don't consume we die and if we don't consume the economy would die with us.

Where I see the difference is that - as I already said above - VAT was originally designed to only be charged on goods that were deemed as "luxuries" and there we CAN chose not to consume as we don't actually need luxuries, we just want them.

There is a big difference between "need" and "want" and if VAT is charged on things, especially food-items, ( which BTW already do have VAT on some of them ), that we need, then it ceases to be a luxury tax and starts to be a tax on staples that we cannot do without.

Whatever way you look at it, that is just wrong and successive governments don't seem to realise this.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:43 am