Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Is the fabric of our society breaking down ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Is the fabric of our society breaking down ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

After riots on the streets of London and other towns and cities in Britain and a stream of strikes being promised for this winter I was wondering if because of general unrest in the population that the fabric of our usually-settled society here is breaking down ?

Anti-globalisation riots are now becoming the norm in many countries around the world and with the gulf between the poor and the rich stretching wider every day surely something has to give ?

I watched a programme last night with the BBC's Robert Peston as he examined "The party's over, or how the West went bust" and in this first of a series of programmes on this subject he asks a similar question.

If you missed it, see the first episode on the BBC i-player HERE

He was highlighting how the de-regulation of the banking sector by Thatcher and Regan started a slow decline in the finances of the world which have ended up with a very large wedge being driven between the ordinary people of the world and the top twenty percent of the people who own and run it. After this massive crash in 2008 we have seen severe unrest in just about every country in the world that has suffered as a result of this avoidable crash and he said that if it is allowed to continue the far East - especially China - could finish up owning much of the West.

I look forward eagerly to the next episode of this programme !

Don't miss it if you can find the time as it will discuss what is going to happen to the world and it's finances for the forseeable future.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Is the fabric of our society breaking down ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 08 Dec 2011, 3:38 pm

Yes mate there is certainly a lot of unrest in the streets at the moment. This has been simmering for some time now and has been driven by the massive gap between the world's poor and the world's rich.

It is a good job that the anger that is seen on the streets of the middle-east does not spread to here as if it did I think that the Tories would be quick to "read the Riot Act" and put soldiers on the streets of Britain.

Look here and see what The Telegraph have to say about it: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/neilobrien1/100100158/do-we-need-a-new-version-of-the-riot-act/
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm

I honestly feel that they would not get away with that kind of repression as we are not so easily swayed by such threats nowadays.

The "Riot Act" was introduced to deal with a problem in British history but our democratic freedoms have improved greatly since then.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 10 Dec 2011, 1:03 pm

It's about time all of the people on the streets started to get angry so that governments and rip-off companies know for certain that they cannot keep getting away with what they do to us.

The very first thing we should do is boot out this bunch of no-users in government !
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1316
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 10 Dec 2011, 3:15 pm

Unfortunately, I saw this coming when British Airways and B.T. were being sold off. Then building societies started converting to banks and we were all encouraged to take shares in them.

Losing our industries to foriegn companies has just exacerbated the problems we now face, with a bankrupt country still trying to kid itself that it is still a 'power' in this world, instead of what it really is, a third world Country in all but name.

Time for our political masters to wake up, smell the coffee, stop Foreign Aid, and attend to the needs of it's own folk First!

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm

So true HG !

If we look back into biblical history we see a section where Jesus threw the money-changers out of the temple and maybe this - or something similar - needs doing right now.

Successive governments - including the New-Labour government BTW - have spent an inordinate amount of time selling off the family silver to foreign companies and whatever was left was either privatised or is going to be privatised in the near future.

( To anybody that does not know, this is called "a Thatcherite de-regulated free-market economy" ),

Cameron has already managed to do what Thatcher failed to do by fully privatising the NHS, as even after promising that - and I quote - "the NHS is safe in my hands" he is going ahead and lifting all of the taxpayers money out of the NHS hospital trusts and is planning to give this money to a cabal of external doctors who will carve up this money as they think fit.

If this plan is not stopped we are going to see the NHS fragmented in exactly the same way as the railway system in Britain was fragmented when they handed over all of the trains to the private sector. ( These are now known as "TOCs" and their list of 23 disparate companies - who do not work very hard at co-ordinating services between each-other, can be seen HERE ).

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:34 pm