Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

I am sending the following to my local paper, and Brendan Barber and Dave Prentis of the TUC.

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

I am sending the following to my local paper, and Brendan Barber and Dave Prentis of the TUC.

Post by Parliament.... on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 4:09 pm

I fully support the recent strikes concerning public sector workers pensions, your article, “Disruption as public sector staff strike over pensions cuts”. But it is not only public sector workers who’s pensions we should be concerned about. So I have this to say.

Why aren’t British workers and the Unions protesting about the dreadful level of State pension in this country ?. A State retirement pension that has lost value over the last 30 years, that is fast diminishing. Is it because our elderly people cannot withdraw their labour ?.

In the 80’s the Thatcher Government cut income taxes and NI contributions for British public sector workers, Margaret Thatcher’s right wing ideology was for people to save for their own private pensions, so she cut workers income taxes and National Insurance contributions, and in my view nobody noticed, ie this has only just come to light due to this coalitions pensions policy, hence the protests and the strikers across the country.

However, and as already stated, Britain’s 12 million pensioners cannot withdraw their labour to protest and get their message across that their contributory basic State pension is losing value, even though they have already worked, and paid for their State pension.

But British workers do not appear to care about this as much as their own pensions, and I am sorry to have to say that, and the Unions also have been very quiet since the pensions and earnings link was broken, which has to date plunged the majority of our elderly people into severe hardship, millions of our elderly people continue to be forced to make choices between heating their homes, and buying food, surely this is enough reason to bring the countries public workers out on another strike, on behalf of the elderly ?

Our elderly people are forced to rely on the caring British public to get their own message across. But since the 1980’s, this has just not happened, and I would like to know why ?

Having been in the pensioners corner for well over 20 years, I’ll make no bones about this, that I am both angry and ashamed that UK workers in the public sectors are able to protest for themselves, and that in turn got the Unions involved on their working members behalf, I would ask, just what does it take for a nation of working people, to stand together on behalf of our elderly people, included amongst them, our War veterans ?, for it is they who have paid the ultimate price.

The statistics on hardship regarding our elderly people are obscene.

Cold weather in this country kills 180 British pensioners a day.

Nine elderly people died every hour from cold related illnesses last winter against a background of soaring energy bills.

Official figures show that the number of deaths linked to the cold over the four month period reached 25, 400 in England and Wales, plus 2,760 in Scotland.

Charities and energy company critics claim the UK has the highest winter death rate in Northern Europe, even worse than much colder countries such as Finland and Sweden.

More than 30,000 UK pensioners have died of cold related illnesses since 1997. And if this was not bad enough, but this Tory lead coalition have cut the pensioners Winter Fuel payment by £50, and the over 80’s by £100, just how barbaric and unfeeling is that ?, and this has got nothing to do with cutting the Deficit, the Tory’s are driven by an ideological hatred of the welfare state.

I really do believe that it is time British public sector workers, and the Unions should make their feelings heard by again banding together on behalf of a generation who have already worked, and paid their share of taxes and NI contributions, and who were promised via those taxes and NI contributions, cradle to grave, care, and that the Unions should now speak out on behalf of our elderly people.
    It was a Liberal in the past, namely Lloyd George I believe who stated that a nation can be judged by the way it treats it’s elderly people.

Well we treat our elderly people with contempt, from Government down, there is no doubt about this.

I will be sending this email to Brendan Barber and Dave Prentis of the TUC.

I will be happy to forward any reply to the Editor.

Re: I am sending the following to my local paper, and Brendan Barber and Dave Prentis of the TUC.

Post by Guest on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 5:13 pm

Hopefully they will throw it away and not waste any newsprint on it. As for the TUC they should just shake their heads and say 'uh oh - another nutter'. Your email is just a rant and has no point.

Sorry m8 but you need to be told.

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: I am sending the following to my local paper, and Brendan Barber and Dave Prentis of the TUC.

Post by papa_umau on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 12:17 pm

"Sorry m8" but that was just a two-line put down which did not refer to any of the obvious "points" in the piece.

I can see what Ivanhoe is getting at here if you are unable to Clapco:

I can see that he might think that the power that resides in the public services unions, when they fight for decent "occupational pensions" for themselves might coincide, in his mind at least, with the needs of the "State Pensioners", but sadly, as the old-age pensioners do not have any proper unions or even union-affiliations with which to make this connection they cannot expect the public service unions to come to their aid. ( I think that they have quite enough on their plate at the moment without asking them to fight the fight for the state-pensioners too ).

Having said that, I DO believe that the state pensioners case has been very well made by all of the affiliations that we, ( and yes I consider myself to be one of them ), have with many of the other pensioners groups, ( known as the "grey vote" ), that are active on and off the internet and with THIS powerful lobby fighting on our behalf I have no doubt that the present government are well-aware of our needs. Whether they will act on these needs or not is another story altogether as has been said recently, they are even deeper in debt than they were when they took over the reins from New-Labour.

This government will never be able to see that they can get much more money for such needs from the people that are holding on to most of it as that is something that they would never even start to consider.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 1:17 pm

All I can say to you in your attempt at getting into British politics Ivanhoe is, best of luck to you, as you are going to need it.

Someone once said that any desire to get onto politics should disbar anyone from doing so as usually those that do get into politics have their own quiet agenda to push once we give them their seat in power.

Yes, I know, I am a very cynical girl ! Rolling Eyes

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 4:36 pm

Angie baby wrote:All I can say to you in your attempt at getting into British politics Ivanhoe is, best of luck to you, as you are going to need it.

Someone once said that any desire to get onto politics should disbar anyone from doing so as usually those that do get into politics have their own quiet agenda to push once we give them their seat in power.

Yes, I know, I am a very cynical girl ! Rolling Eyes

Angie baby, I have no desire to get into politics, it does not interest me one tiny bit. But if I am ever going to be able to have my say on the political injustices I know are happening in the country, but are never if hardly ever spoken about, I have to have just one more go as standing as an Independent, and see where the chips fall.

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 10:33 pm

papa_umau wrote:"Sorry m8" but that was just a two-line put down which did not refer to any of the obvious "points" in the piece.

I can see what Ivanhoe is getting at here if you are unable to Clapco:

I can see that he might think that the power that resides in the public services unions, when they fight for decent "occupational pensions" for themselves might coincide, in his mind at least, with the needs of the "State Pensioners", but sadly, as the old-age pensioners do not have any proper unions or even union-affiliations with which to make this connection they cannot expect the public service unions to come to their aid. ( I think that they have quite enough on their plate at the moment without asking them to fight the fight for the state-pensioners too ).

Having said that, I DO believe that the state pensioners case has been very well made by all of the affiliations that we, ( and yes I consider myself to be one of them ), have with many of the other pensioners groups, ( known as the "grey vote" ), that are active on and off the internet and with THIS powerful lobby fighting on our behalf I have no doubt that the present government are well-aware of our needs. Whether they will act on these needs or not is another story altogether as has been said recently, they are even deeper in debt than they were when they took over the reins from New-Labour.

This government will never be able to see that they can get much more money for such needs from the people that are holding on to most of it as that is something that they would never even start to consider.

""( I think that they have quite enough on their plate at the moment without asking them to fight the fight for the state-pensioners too )""

Do you mean that Pap ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 04 Dec 2011, 12:14 pm

Surely it is obvious to anybody that really looks at the problems that the public service unions are having with the government, ( indicated by more than two million people coming out on strike and marching in the streets ), that they have their hands full at the moment without taking on our cause as well.

I think that we are fighting our own cause very well as was highlighted in the BBC political programme called "Your money and how they spend it" made by Nick Robinson.

He mentioned that the "grey vote" terrifies every politician that has anything to do with how the old folk in Britain are treated.

See this, and watch both full programmes on the BBC i-player if you did not see the first episode.

Part 1 ):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15843746

Part 2):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15970303

That aside, yes, I know that their cause as well as ours is about "pensions" but their pensions are occupational ones and ours are state pensions, and these are two different fights.

I am also interested in your answer to Angie where you say that you are "not one bit interested in politics", when I know better.

I don't think that you are going to get that seat and not be "interested in politics" as you are not going to be able to avoid the subject after election.

Something tells me that you will love every minute of it ! Twisted Evil

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Sun 04 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm

papa_umau wrote:Surely it is obvious to anybody that really looks at the problems that the public service unions are having with the government, ( indicated by more than two million people coming out on strike and marching in the streets ), that they have their hands full at the moment without taking on our cause as well.

I think that we are fighting our own cause very well as was highlighted in the BBC political programme called "Your money and how they spend it" made by Nick Robinson.

He mentioned that the "grey vote" terrifies every politician that has anything to do with how the old folk in Britain are treated.

See this, and watch both full programmes on the BBC i-player if you did not see the first episode.

Part 1 ):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15843746

Part 2):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15970303

That aside, yes, I know that their cause as well as ours is about "pensions" but their pensions are occupational ones and ours are state pensions, and these are two different fights.

I am also interested in your answer to Angie where you say that you are "not one bit interested in politics", when I know better.

I don't think that you are going to get that seat and not be "interested in politics" as you are not going to be able to avoid the subject after election.

Something tells me that you will love every minute of it ! Twisted Evil

Pap, sorry, but you are way off beam here. Again, I am not in the leat, interested in politics, I just dont like injustice, hence standing as an Independent, again, at the next G/E.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 10:16 am