Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The "opt-out" policy of transplant parts harvesting.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The "opt-out" policy of transplant parts harvesting.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:52 pm

This has been a pet subject of mine for many years and I have become more and more frustrated as to why governments have repeatedly caused this policy requirement to fail in conscience-votes at Westminster.

I have been even more angry that this policy has not - until now - been properly discussed or implemented in the devolved governments/assemblies around Britain.

The fact that the Welsh Assembly yesterday said that they are to debate a white-paper on the implementation the "opt-out" strategy rather than continuing with the extremely-inefficient "opt-in" system of the giving of donor-parts - has warmed the cockles of my heart.

I had hoped that it might have been the SNP government up here that would have taken this step first but it seems as if the Welsh government are much more enlightened concerning this subject than Scotland Ireland or England are.

My settled thoughts on this subject are based around the idea that religious lobbies in the halls of government have been forcing individual MPs to vote with their biased ways of thinking for many many years and because of this strong pressure the so-called "free" votes that have been allowed on this debate in the UK parliament have been dragged into the status-quo and "opt-in" lobby.

Maybe now that the Welsh Assembly has given a white paper lead here we will see more regional and even the national government leaning that way too.

See THIS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that do not know what this is, here is an explanation:

Since donor-part transplantations originally started it has been the law in the UK that anyone who wants to leave any of their vital parts for this purpose - on their death - have to "opt-in" by leaving this desire either via the joining into the donor registry or by carrying a donor-parts card. This means that such vital parts cannot be taken by transplant surgeons without your previous and clear consent before death.

The other system, which is already in use in many other parts of the world, is called the "opt-out" system whereby anyone who does not want their parts to be used for this reason after death has to physically "opt out" before death. If they have not opted out then all required parts can be taken by the transplant surgeons as needed, without previous permission being required.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously I am FOR the implementation of the "opt-out" system, but how do you feel about this subject ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: The "opt-out" policy of transplant parts harvesting.

Post by zathrus on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:37 am

Hurry hurry, haven't got much time today so I will be quick.

I have to show my support for this cause as to me it has to be the only way to go in the future.

I have had two relatives that have died waiting for transplants and I would not like to see that happening to any more people.

The problem at the moment is that while many people agree with the harvesting of donor parts from brain-dead relatives very few of them actually allow it to happen to their loved ones or they are just not willing to face the subject at times of such great loss.

It is also awful that transplant surgeons have to approach people at times like this to ask for parts to be taken.

If the opt-out system was in force the consent part would be automated and if there was no previous opt-out of the transplant procedure there would be many more parts available in order to keep people living.

Right, had my say, so now I can get back to work.

Later....
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:30 am

Thanks for popping in Zath' as I know you are a busy man.

I think that if this proposal was put to a referendum, ( not that I am all that keen on referenda ), I think that the people of Britain would vote FOR the opt-out system to replace the wasteful opt-in system even if a large part of the population might vote no for religious reasons.

I think that in any such vote a religious excuse is just not a good enough excuse to deny people the right to go on living.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:09 pm

I'm back ! More time today !

I was thinking about something connected to the human donor parts thing.

With rejection being the most important point in this practice I was wondering if it might not be better to just spend more money on the building of these parts using stem-cells from the person that needs these parts. They have had some success already at making undifferentiated stem cells starting to make actual parts.

I know that this technology is in it's infancy, but surely it would be better to make parts this way than taking parts from dead people, with all of the problems that causes ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:07 pm

Maybe that will be the way it will go in the future as even although you are right that the start of such technology DOES exist I think that it could be twenty or even thirty years before we can stop using donor parts from deceased persons.

While we are waiting for these techniques to be perfected we are STILL going to vitally need donor parts.

Until we do get such artificially-made parts I still feel that the right way to go about this "parts harvesting" is via the "opt-out" system.

Once this system - if adopted - is up and running properly we will see many thousands more people who will get these parts that will have longer happier lives and who will benefit from this system that are not benefiting at the moment.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:25 pm

Although I find this subject somewhat disturbing I have to admit that I too am willing to support the change to the opt-out system of transplant parts harvesting.

I will be watching closely what happens in Wales when their white paper is published and debated.

Thanks for the gen' Papa.

Post by Guest on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 10:00 am

There are too many people in our crowded little island already to keep a small number alive for an extra five years at huge cost to society.

Let them go I say - and make voluntary euthanasia legal at the same time

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:48 am

Hmmmmmm.... Don't you think that is just a bit reactionary ?

While I agree with you that we should look very closely at voluntary euthanasia, I do not think that we should just let people die when we can help them stay alive - if they want to - for many more - not just "five" - happy years with their loved-ones.

There are many ways that we could improve on the costs to the NHS but in my estimation THAT should not be one of them.

Maybe if one of YOUR loved ones was dying for the want of a transplant you would look at this more kindly.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:29 am