Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

On strike on the 30th.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

On strike on the 30th.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:05 am

Well, it's not long now until my teacher's union brings me out on strike.

I have to admit that I am not looking forward to this event as I know that I am just going to have to catch up with what I am teaching my kids.

I really hope that this action doesn't run on and on as I feel a responsibility for my school-kids.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12186
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: On strike on the 30th.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:59 am

Yes, Angie, I am sure that all people who are forced to take industrial action worry about how long it is going to last and how much they are going to lose by the act.

Having said that, as I am a confirmed union-man I know that often this is the only action that workers have, as doing this they can hit the often greedy and bullying employers and governments right where it hurts; in their reputations and their profits.

Hopefully these intransigent government bullies will come to their senses quickly and your sacrifice is going to be worth it.

Although I am retired and now out of this game I still support your stance and hope that the government - in this case - quickly come to realise that what they are doing in order to save money from the most vulnerable sector is a total no-no.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by Angie baby on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

I am with you on that one Papa.

I really hope that Cameron's government realise what is going on here as if he doesn't it could mean a lot of lost votes when the time comes.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 20 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm

That, my dear, is my wish, my desire, and my hope !

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by Angie baby on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:29 pm

Yet again, thinking more about it, the result could finish up going the other way if the public are too badly hit by any such strikes.

Because the public sector does so many vital jobs we are going to see the whole, country brought to a standstill by these actions.

The thought of it is terrifying.

Post by Guest on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:58 am

I trust if you do go out on strike you will not be paid for it.

Your plight is nothing different from millions of private sector employees who have put up without a murmur. Get used to it.

I shall be on the picket lines handing out all the eggs I have been saving for several months Smile

CC
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm

It is good that in this democratic nation even opinions like yours are allowed and even valued by some but I do not and have NEVER felt that we should just accept what the employers and the government want to throw at us. THAT is not any way for a free society to behave.

If you do not know about "strike pay" then I shall enlighten you:

On some occasions money that has been accumulated via the membership fees of unions can be used to finance "strike pay" but even if this form of income is available - which it is not always the case - it is paid at a very small level so as just to help strikers from not starving while they are on strike. This does not pay towards rents or mortgages so on many occasions in the past such strikers have lost their homes as a result of standing strong on the picket lines.

That is why striking has to always be the last resort as it is a miserable time for any people who are on industrial action.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 6:49 am