Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The end of the DVD and the VCR.......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The end of the DVD and the VCR.......

Post by papa_umau on Sun 30 Oct 2011, 11:27 am

Isn't it amazing how new technology comes along and wipes out the older stuff completely ?

Over the few short years that I have been enjoying such media I have seen many excellent bits of technology simply die.

I think that the rot started with the demise of vinyl when the big 33rpm records and the smaller 45s started to disappear and we saw the portable and in-car tape-cassette-players coming and going in just a few years. This started with the chunky eight-track looped tape-players and went on to the mini-cassette players.

Very soon we found that these too had started to disappear and the ubiquitous in-car and personal CD-player came to life.

Now we find that tapes and disks are just not up to the job and we are finding that more and more we are being presented with "solid state drives" that have no moving parts in them and that while they - even at first - did not have very big memory capabilities, they are now growing to be able to hold terrabytes of data in physically very small units. What is even more important is that the quality of the stereo sound that these digital machines produce - at low cost - is now almost perfect.

I sometimes wonder what they are going to find next that will be able to replace these amazingly powerful and tiny bits of kit.

Any ideas ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: The end of the DVD and the VCR.......

Post by zathrus on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:37 am

An interesting postulation Paps !

This kind of technology-race has only started to speed up since the discovery of the silicon-chip and the use of the thousands of transistors that this technology allows.

Once that technology was beaten the sky became the proverbial limit.

Like you, I cannot possibly imagine where this is going to take us next as at the moment we ordinary mortals struggle with each step that comes along. The more complicated that each bit of kit gets the more able our minds have to be to be able to understand it.

I am still getting used to operating my Sony Walkman ! Embarassed
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

Ahh...the "Sony Walkman", I remember them ! Very Happy

That brings to mind a number of types of media-kit that Sony brought out that was always in opposition to all of the other formats of the time. These too eventually hit the skids. I am thinking of the Betamax recorder and player, ( bypassed by the VHS format ), the first of the "solid-state" "memory sticks" that would not work in any machine but a Sony one, which quickly died because no-one would buy them. Then we have the latest Sony attempt to try to corner the market with what they call "Blue-Ray". This format is in direct opposition - once again - to what we now know as High Definition and I am sure like all of the other disk and tape and solid state formats that they have brought out that tempts us to buy only Sony, it too will eventually go the way of the rest.

Sorry mate, but I have built up a resistance to buying Sony stuff because of these types of marketing ploys and this is against the fact that they really are, actually, very good quality stuff.

Anybody ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 05 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm

An interesting subject !

I guess that all they can do now is make these bits of kit smaller and smaller until they can simply inject them under your skin if they want to.

Even if that is a bit "out there" I do think that we are eventually going to find that we are going to become cyborgs where we are part flesh and part machine.

I bet that you like that idea Papa. Twisted Evil
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:36 am

OK... you know I am a science-fiction nut but I think that they already have some people that are part human part machine if you consider all of the "bits" that can now be transplanted into a human that need them. I won't list them as they are now too numerous.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 12:56 pm