Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The question of winter tyres.

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

The question of winter tyres.

Post by zathrus on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 12:28 pm

I saw a big advert by Arnold Clark Volvo that they had aquired a few million winter tyres for the people who want to start changing their tyres in preparation for what has been said to be another hard winter with lots of snow and ice that is coming.

When I saw the price of these tyres, ( starting from around 450 for the set ), I thought, who the hell in these days of struggles to survive are going to be able to afford such an outlay ?

As I am self employed I use a van to get around, ( I don't have a car ), but even if I remember getting stuck for hours in the snow last year I simply cannot afford to fit snow-tyres to my van.

What about you punters ?

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: The question of winter tyres.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:50 am

Yes as winter sets in it is going to get harder and harder for just about everybody in Britain and it will only be the well-off that will be able to afford to put winter tyres of their cars. The rest of us will be worrying if we can even keep them on the road at all.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 30 Oct 2011, 11:44 am

Good subject Zathrus !

I too find it rather amazing that we in Britain don't regularly and routinely change our car-tyres for winter ones as the Scandinavian, Canadian and Russian vehicle-owners do.

OK.... we have not really had severe enough winters in the past to get into a habit of doing this, but as the last two winters have shown us maybe we should - if we can afford it of course - start to do this too.

This is one extra cost that many Brits will find as just one too many extra costs in these days of austerity.

Mind you, I am sure that the fat-cats that we regularly speak of here WILL be doing it sooner or later.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by zathrus on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:46 am

I think that Arnold Clark must read your website Paps as I found an advert in today's paper that read: "A set of new winter tyres from 270.00".

Of course that will be Mini-tyres for something like 12" wheels.

Still too expensive for me !
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 11:51 am

Well spotted Zath'.

I also saw an advert for snow-chains in my newspaper this morning and they were only going to cost around 40.00 for a set of any size.

I think, though, that the main problem with snow-chains is that they would have to be put on and taken off again any time that a car-owner wanted to drive on bare tarmac as I don't know how long they would last if they were not used in snow and ice.

Does anybody here know anything about this ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by zathrus on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:24 pm

I did find that when using snowchains on the drive-wheels of vehicles the speed should be restricted to 30mph. ( America ).

Some American states also require them to be worn compulsorily when driving in snow and ice.

I don't know of any such law in Britain.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 1:50 am