Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Britain is finished. And the reason is in the mirror

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Britain is finished. And the reason is in the mirror

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:29 am

The European's have much better living standards than us Brit's, that's all that is necessary to know about Europe.

We British have retained all our old classs prejudices, and these manifest in our materisltic objectives and attitudes, we British are largely an infantile race, with a massive superiority complex with each other and the rest of the world, which probably has spawned from our empire.

I know certain people on here will say that I'm negative, but I'm not, I'm realistic.

The very fact that politicians have to duck and dive the established media, and not tell "truths", establishes just how bad things are.

I want politicians with integrity and honesty, and if they dont make it, that's not their fault, it's the fault of the electrate, who want everything, but are'nt prepared to pay for it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12332
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Britain is finished. And the reason is in the mirror

Post by papa_umau on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 4:17 pm

And the great thing about a well-moderated forum like this one is that you CAN disagree with anyone you like and you CAN say what you honestly believe without being castigated for it.

Having said that, this does not necessarily mean that everybody here is going to agree with you.

While we both come from the same basic political source we nevertheless often disagree. I TOTALLY disagree that "Britain is finished" as even though I agree that it has gone through a lot of ups and downs over the past thirty years or so I STILL feel that the steadfastness of the British psyche will see us through these bad times.

I believe that there are enough people out there that do care about Britain that they will not see it sinking into the Atlantic as even IF we no longer have an empire the Brits are still made of the same stern stuff that took us through two world wars and many lesser ones.

I DO agree that we have a lot to learn from Europe as far as the care of the British people is concerned but - as Technician says...."there are a lot of bad habits that we can learn from them too" ( or words to that effect ).

I also think that if we do not allow ourselves to get bogged down in dogma we will find that WE have a lot to teach Europe too about how a country or a state should be run.

I say..."pick the best and ignore the rest"... as some wise sage once said.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

papa_umau wrote:And the great thing about a well-moderated forum like this one is that you CAN disagree with anyone you like and you CAN say what you honestly believe without being castigated for it.

Having said that, this does not necessarily mean that everybody here is going to agree with you.

While we both come from the same basic political source we nevertheless often disagree. I TOTALLY disagree that "Britain is finished" as even though I agree that it has gone through a lot of ups and downs over the past thirty years or so I STILL feel that the steadfastness of the British psyche will see us through these bad times.

I believe that there are enough people out there that do care about Britain that they will not see it sinking into the Atlantic as even IF we no longer have an empire the Brits are still made of the same stern stuff that took us through two world wars and many lesser ones.

I DO agree that we have a lot to learn from Europe as far as the care of the British people is concerned but - as Technician says...."there are a lot of bad habits that we can learn from them too" ( or words to that effect ).

I also think that if we do not allow ourselves to get bogged down in dogma we will find that WE have a lot to teach Europe too about how a country or a state should be run.

I say..."pick the best and ignore the rest"... as some wise sage once said.

""I believe that there are enough people out there that do care about Britain that they will not see it sinking into the Atlantic as even IF we no longer have an empire the Brits are still made of the same stern stuff that took us through two world wars and many lesser ones"".

I do not agree Pap. We British are no longer working class fighting the working class struggle. We are now middle class, and devided socially and economically.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:05 pm

While it is true Ivanhoe that modern life has brought the standards of living in Britain up to a more acceptable level than it used to be just after the second world war and that this raise in quality of life HAS made many previously poor and hard-line "working classes" into a new sort of "middle class", because of having inside toilets and bathrooms and central heating and the ability to buy decent clothing, eat well and even run cars, it is true that many of these previously-poverty-stricken people now feel that they might have moved up a class, they are nevertheless, STILL at the bottom of British society whether they like it and are willing to admit to it or not.

All that aside I STILL feel that the heart of the British people is still the same and that the indefatigable spirit that took us through "two world wars and many lesser ones" IS is still there and just needs to be brought out into the light of day.

I am not, unlike you it seems, prepared to write off the Brits just because they have become a bit soft in their days of luxury. NO...in fact I believe that once they are provided with all of the knowledge they need they will realise that it is STILL "them-against us" in our war against injustice and the unfairness that comes with being run by both elitist and privileged middle-classes and upper-classes that are actually nothing of the kind.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:15 pm

papa_umau wrote:While it is true Ivanhoe that modern life has brought the standards of living in Britain up to a more acceptable level than it used to be just after the second world war and that this raise in quality of life HAS made many previously poor and hard-line "working classes" into a new sort of "middle class", because of having inside toilets and bathrooms and central heating and the ability to buy decent clothing, eat well and even run cars, it is true that many of these previously-poverty-stricken people now feel that they might have moved up a class, they are nevertheless, STILL at the bottom of British society whether they like it and are willing to admit to it or not.

All that aside I STILL feel that the heart of the British people is still the same and that the indefatigable spirit that took us through "two world wars and many lesser ones" IS is still there and just needs to be brought out into the light of day.

I am not, unlike you it seems, prepared to write off the Brits just because they have become a bit soft in their days of luxury. NO...in fact I believe that once they are provided with all of the knowledge they need they will realise that it is STILL "them-against us" in our war against injustice and the unfairness that comes with being run by both elitist and privileged middle-classes and upper-classes that are actually nothing of the kind.

Pap, the only way the British at large will ever stand against this right wing tyrany, is by more and more people waking up to it and realising that we are infact all in this together.

I hate to say it but Cameron's cuts have to be the straw that broke the camels back, which is no real answer to any British solidarity we even had.

Is it ?
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2580
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

As far as I am concerned, the more mistakes Cameron makes the better will be the chance that he will either be forced to resign as PM or when he finally comes to be re-elected he will fail this test.

His career is going to hell in a hand-basket and he knows it.

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:40 pm

zathrus wrote:As far as I am concerned, the more mistakes Cameron makes the better will be the chance that he will either be forced to resign as PM or when he finally comes to be re-elected he will fail this test.

We can only hope that this happens sooner rather than later.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 11:50 am

Ivanhoe said:

"we are infact all in this together"

And I say that this term has already been misused when Cameron also said that "we are all in this together" as this phrase immediately begs the question: Who does he mean when he says "we" ?

Sadly some are more "in it" than others are !

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:29 pm

zathrus wrote:As far as I am concerned, the more mistakes Cameron makes the better will be the chance that he will either be forced to resign as PM or when he finally comes to be re-elected he will fail this test.

You think Cameron's term as leader of the Tory's is numbered ?
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1275
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

I think Britain is down, but not yet out. If our Glorious Leaders get their acts together, (whatever colour their campaign rosettes)qnd Work Together, Shocked we can still get out from under. Gonna take a lot of effort though.

Cheers HG

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:21 pm

Hell's Granny wrote:I think Britain is down, but not yet out. If our Glorious Leaders get their acts together, (whatever colour their campaign rosettes)qnd Work Together, Shocked we can still get out from under. Gonna take a lot of effort though.

Cheers HG

I think Britain is both down, and out, because our leaders are free market mad. Including Ed Milliband I believe
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:30 pm

Sorry Ivanhoe, I cannot subscribe to that idea, as Britain has already came out of many situations that were far worse than the one we are in at the moment. I feel that the stoicism and the courage that is endemic to the Brits WILL show through even if Cameron is trying to squeeze every drop of blood out of every one of the poorest sections of our society at the moment.

I also think that it is about time that we started to believe in something again as after so many years of the "ME, ME, ME", culture it is now time that we gave someone new a chance to get it right.

As HG says.... "because we have been let down in the past by so many governments - of whatever shades" - ( or words to that effect ), - it is now time that we gave a new face and a new philosphy a chance. In my estimation the only choice that we have left is with Ed Miliband and his version of The Labour Party as all of the other groups have blotted their copy-books so badly that they are now lost causes.

It is time that we started again from scratch and as far as I am concerned there is now only one game in town as far as that is concerned.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2465
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 22 Oct 2011, 12:35 pm

Yes Papa, it is getting harder and harder to see a political party that gives a damn about the people in Britain and now we are getting desperate to find such an entity to give our allegiance to.

Ed Miliband's Labour party could be the one but I do not know enough about what Miliband stands for to think about voting for him yet.

I do hope that in the run up to the general election he clarifies his hopes and thoughts for Britain and how he is going to go about getting these.

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Sat 22 Oct 2011, 12:44 pm

Angie baby wrote:Yes Papa, it is getting harder and harder to see a political party that gives a damn about the people in Britain and now we are getting desperate to find such an entity to give our allegiance to.

Ed Miliband's Labour party could be the one but I do not know enough about what Miliband stands for to think about voting for him yet.

I do hope that in the run up to the general election he clarifies his hopes and thoughts for Britain and how he is going to go about getting these.

Angie Baby, I could not agree with you more. Have you signed my Petition by the way ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 11:24 pm