Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The 'Health' of Greece

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

The 'Health' of Greece

Post by Technician on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 12:53 pm

Hi All,

A recent disturbing report has concentrated on the health of Greece. Not the financial health, but the health of its populace as a result of the dire fianacial situation it finds itself in.

There has been a 17% rise in suicide since the fiancial troubles as people despair of the future

( As a 'now retired' sociologist this does not surpise me. Durkheim's classic study was in this area, and he advocated that whenever states of Anome, or normlesness occur suicide rises. In other words when peoples comfortable concepts of the world are thrown into total confusion they disorientate. By the way the same can be said of someone who suddenly WINS massive ammounts of money!!!, but I know which one I would cope with better!.)

Overall there has been a massive increse in people reporting stress related symptoms.

However in Greece there is now a serious lack of hospital beds, essential drugs, and the hospital system is at breaking point. Insulin diabetics are not getting insulin if they cannot afford it, and even the fairly modest ( about 5 ) visit to community health clinics is too much for many people. Doctors are being bribed by those with cash for essential medical services. There is a fairly steep rise in STD's and HIV as a result of an increase in prostitution, which some have resorted to to make ends meet.

And this, all in the Eurozone in 2011......

I wonder what the UK will be like in a few years time...will we go the way of Greece ?????

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12201
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: The 'Health' of Greece

Post by papa_umau on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 1:15 pm

Technician......

Don't blame the Eurozone for Greece's troubles as the roots of these troubles are set in the world downturn and in the exceptional borrowing-levels of the Greek government themselves.

If anything the solidarity in greater Europe will help to sort out Greece's problems as it is unimaginable to Germany and France - and Britain incidentally - that Greece should go under. This is just not going to happen even if they DO default on some of their loans.

Getting back to your original premise:

Yes, those are wise words even if they are not in fact your own as the general malaise and lack of the feelgood-factor in ANY country can eventually cause mass depressions and those suicides that you talk about.

There is a general feeling of unhappiness in the Western world just now as even the Americans are heavily in debt to China and China are the driving force for the commercial malaise that is rolling over just about every trading country in the world.

These "trading tigers" - including India BTW - as they are often called - are putting the whole world under terrible pressure as they immerse us in cheap exports to the detriment of their own chronically poor and sick peasant-classes and these market-killing practices are putting the rest of the world under terrible and often destructive pressures.

This imbalance will only subside when these countries have raised their standards and costs of living to the levels of our own and their workers are eventually getting similar wages to what our workers are getting at the moment.

THAT...might take a while and in the meantime we are going to hurt more and more.

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Greece

Post by Technician on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:54 am

Hi Paps,

Well, that's the 'health' situation. The econimic situation we must all admit is dire. I wish I had your confidence in your EU chums.

Far from all 'pulling together' one of the reasons the EU is in such a mess is due to poor decision making and leadership. Individual countries still cannot agree, and while they dither they impact upon the world economic situation.

Greece goes further into meltdown and its populace take to the streets. The quicker this toxic organisation implodes the better for us all, and we avoid the massive drain on UK money to pay for their perverse 'ideas'.

I am well aware the majority on this forum are Europhiles and want the EU, but common sense ( if there is any in the UK!! )and the groundswell of public oppinion in the UK is very much against it.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 3:39 pm

Yes Technician "common sense" HAS TO rule our minds when we look at such things.

That is why I say that while I will admit that at the moment the greater European "club" is a bit fractious and each member-state is acting very selfish when it comes to voting for the greater-good rather than their own individual wants and needs. But I STILL feel that because Germany and France WANT the European Union to succeed I don't think there is going to be any kind of an "implosion", in fact I think that eventually these hardships will draw the member-states of the union even closer together.

I often use the model of the Federal United States of America as a model for the building of a Federal United States of Europe as even in America the building of a proper Union was not easy and it went through a civil war before it became a true United States.

I feel that the European Union are going to go through just as many trials and tribulations as America did, but, just like America, it will come through and finish up being a tightly unified and powerful entity. If we are as stupid as to - because of zenophobia and jingoism - stay out of this fledgling state we will pay very dearly for this omission by the time that the door to Europe is closed in our faces.

Greece is a glitch and NO WAY is that country's problems at the moment going to seriously damage the greater entity.

Don't give up your opposition to a greater Europe and to Britain going in as every time you write here pointing out the problems, rightly or wrongly, many many people will read your words and this will keep the mass of the "Europhiles" here on their toes.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:02 pm

Wow, you guys are hot on this subject !

I think that no matter what we think or what we want as British individuals this conglomeration of European states will eventually come together in a way that will make it stable and not a little dangerous.

As Paps says, it is better to be pals with the largest gang on the block rather than to stand against them and get beaten up.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 11:25 am

Thanks for that Zath'.

Yes, it has been a long held practice in many walks of life for communities to get together in alliances so that they can become stronger.

I honestly believe that this particular alliance is up there with the likes of NATO and the UN as it brings nations together instead of isolating them.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 11:05 am