Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Virgin Holidays

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Virgin Holidays

Post by Technician on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:05 am

Hi All,

Thought I would move off politics and the EU to expose these bunch of chancers !. Here's the story.

Myself and the wife decided we would plan a break away before Xmas as a present to ourselves; so decided to go to Germany. We ralised we could do this by taking a short all inclusive cruise to visit Hamburg, Bremerhaven and Amsterdam included. For 7 nighs it was just over 400 all inclusive and the wife loves sailing. So off I go to book it, as we thought the price was OK

I did this through a cruise site and was directed to Virgin, which states 'we can save on your quoted price'. Now fully realising that prices can go up on the vagaries of the travel industry the price quoted was 417. Gets through to Virgin and the woman says she will enquire and put me on hold. About 5 mins later she gets back and says I have your deal, its 476 each PLUS 35 each BOOKING FEE !!!!!.

Now, perhaps I am tight, but what the hell justifies a 'booking fee', and in particuar that rip off ammount. Not only was the price NOT as quoted, but it would be an extra 70.00 on top to allow them to 'book' the ruddy thing!!.

I told her politely to stuff the holoday where the sun don't shine. Am I being too critical here, or should we just not say NO to these rip off bandits ??. Would you have booked it, even if you did want to go ??

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12108
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Virgin Holidays

Post by papa_umau on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:19 am

No mate you are NOT being "too critical" as to my knowledge this "trick" happens very often in the booking of complex - or even simple - package deals.

Both airlines and travel companies capture interested customers by throwing "amazing" offers out to us initially via the media organisations but just about every time that people actually go to book they find ways to add on "extras" that were not seen in the adverts.

Governments of the past have tried to close these loopholes but they and their watchdogs have done an awful job of this kind of trying to bring such crooks to book.

Sadly the saying of "Caveat Emptor"....or Buyer beware still holds true here.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2520
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:35 pm

Oh, it so does mate.

As I see it the only difference between these animals and true crooks is a very thin line of behaviour.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

Many potential holidaymakers are now using websites to put together their own package deals as when it is done this way each step in the package can generate competetive discounts.

Here's three to be going on with:

http://www.icelolly.com/?gclid=CMnZv_K41qsCFW9ItAodVh2pPw

http://www.expedia.co.uk/Holidays

http://www.ulookubook.com/create-your-own-holiday

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 11:57 am

Thanks for those links Papa as the partner and I were planning to try to find a cheap holiday in the sun next year. Unlike the folks that live in and around London we up here in the North have had very little sunshine with which to recharge our batteries and because we are now looking so pale and are so cold we really need some time in this warm sunshine.

If your links can save us some money that will be great.

I had no clue that you could actually do this without having to make a dozen phone calls to different sectors of the holiday providers.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:40 am

My pleasure babe !

I hope that you can find booking holidays and saving money on holidays a bit better after you find your favourite website with which to do it.

Tell us how you got on when you do !

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Virgin

Post by Technician on Sun 09 Oct 2011, 2:20 pm

Hi all,

Yes, many thanks for those links. I have used one or two in the past, but the first time via Virgin. The simple answer with these bandidts is to tell them in no uncertain terms to go stuff themselves. They MAY get the message in time.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 12:14 pm

Thanks Technician !

Between the two of us we are going to sort out this rip-off culture in the holiday companies for good. Twisted Evil

Papa......

nadine.blythe

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2011-10-12

Booking Fee Charges

Post by nadine.blythe on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:18 am

Thank you for your comments and Im sorry that youre disappointed by the booking fee. The reason for this charge is because we are selling the holiday as a travel agent, and as such have to cover the costs of the administration work.

If youd like to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 0844 557 9734.

Kind regards

Nadine Blythe
    Customer Relations Executive
    Virgin Holidays Cruises
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:28 am

Hi Nadine, and welcome to R.O.B. !

It is great that a company actually reads and responds to such indictments as it might not be a mistake to think that they often think they are above any such contact.

While this forum-set is actually quite small in full membership it boasts around 20,000 individual page-hits of readership every month. With that in mind both the comments for AND against such hidden charges will be good to be read by all.

Papa......

Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Virgin holidays

Post by Technician on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 1:01 pm

Hi all,

Well, that's very nice of Virgin Holidays to repond and it is appreciated. However I still cannot see how it justifies 35 each for administration costs!!. This is one customer who will NOT be returning. Thanks for agreeing to discuss it, but I don't think there is much to discuss!!!.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:24 pm

Well said Technician !

It is because of companies like this that websites like R.O.B. exist at all and it is because of "executives" like "Nadine" of Virgin Holidays making excuses for such blatant profiteering that the holiday-industries get such a bad name.

I would not be one bit surprised if this company do not appear on the BBC programme, Watchdog one day - if they have not done so already. ( Something in my memory tells me that they actually HAVE ).

In one way it was very good that they took the chance to answer the charges that you initially made against them, but it was bad in another way that when they did respond all that they did was to try to make excuses for their offences.

I suppose that you could phone them via the number given if you wanted to, but in my experience - which is not inconsiderable of the consumer-game - you will be very unlikely to get any happy outcome from these complaints.

Anyway...best of luck to you, Technician, as you still have everybody at R.O.B. to commiserate with.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by zathrus on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:35 am

I am quite shocked that an executive from Virgin should take the time and interest to come here and firstly respond to your individual complaint Technician and then to try to explain why they do what they do.

I also wonder if they actually thought for a second that we would accept such excuses as reasons for profiteering.

If anything such a response only highlights exactly how close a watch we should keep on these profit-mad companies.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 11:19 am

One thing the response DOES show is that they are bothered about what we think !

That has to be a first step towards fixing those flaws before the government watchdogs MAKE THEM.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by Angie baby on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the government "watchdogs" to take them to task as they seem to me to be getting more and more toothless as the days go by.

I think that the most powerful actions here are done via public opinion as the more people that are made aware of these profiteering tactics and who change their holiday-booking techniques as a result, the more these chancers will feel the pain of lost revenue.

We gullible consumers in Britain have been treated as mugs for far too long and I think that now, because of the great communications in the internet, we are getting wiser and are also getting better armed to beat these thieves at their own game.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1226
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:48 pm

Sir Richard Branson likes to boast that he takes a personal interest; why not contact him direct? At least let him know that some of his companies are getting him a bad name!

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:28 am

An excellent idea HG....I will do that today and I will get back to you and the rest of the members to say if he replies and what he says.

NB.....

I tried to find Sir Richard Branson's e-mail address but was unable to.

There is a lot on the internet about Branson and his many companies and he has Twitter and Facebook pages but in fact it is impossible to find a direct e-mail address easily. There are some dodgy online entities that will SELL you his supposed e-mail address but I am not going down that road.

If anybody out there has Branson's real E-mail addy I would be happy to try it.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by zathrus on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:05 pm

Just bye-the-bye.

Branson has both Twitter and Facebook pages.

Mind you, whether he actually reads them or writes to them is another story completely.
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by Angie baby on Sat 22 Oct 2011, 12:22 pm

Yes, Zathrus, he probably employs people to keep his Facebook and Twitter pages updated. I would if I was in his position.
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by zathrus on Mon 24 Oct 2011, 12:00 pm

He will probably be lying on the island of Necker, which he owns, getting belted into the champers and being fanned by dusky maidens. He does not give a damn about us !

See what I mean here: http://www.neckerisland.virgin.com/?gclid=CNOWuPaUgawCFUtB4QodgXAnKg

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 1:43 pm