Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

A successful petition to the government.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11946
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

A successful petition to the government.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 12:27 pm

A petition to the government demanding action on ongoing fuel costs is one of the very few that has ever reached the magic 100,000 signatures that are needed to take it to a full commons debate.

This petition via online appeal called for planned fuel duty rises to be scrapped and for a mechanism to stabilise prices at the pumps to be introduced.

Surprisingly, Tory MP Robert Halfon said: "Cutting fuel duty must be a prority for the chancellor".

Well folks, there you have it in black and white and even coming from a Tory MP's mouth. If 100,000 people have responded to an online petition like this surely the government MUST do something to sort out this running sore in British life and politics.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Re: A successful petition to the government.

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:53 am

papa_umau wrote:A petition to the government demanding action on ongoing fuel costs is one of the very few that has ever reached the magic 100,000 signatures that are needed to take it to a full commons debate.

This petition via online appeal called for planned fuel duty rises to be scrapped and for a mechanism to stabilise prices at the pumps to be introduced.

Surprisingly, Tory MP Robert Halfon said: "Cutting fuel duty must be a prority for the chancellor".

Well folks, there you have it in black and white and even coming from a Tory MP's mouth. If 100,000 people have responded to an online petition like this surely the government MUST do something to sort out this running sore in British life and politics.

How about all "other" running sore's Pap ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm

Yes Ivanhoe, but we are talking about this one at the moment !

( Even pensioners feel it when they have to struggle to keep their wee cars on the roads ).

If there are enough people out there that have access to a computer and t'internet I am sure, if the other "running sores" can generate a commons debate with 100,000 signatures, that they too will be considered.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:11 am

papa_umau wrote:Yes Ivanhoe, but we are talking about this one at the moment !

( Even pensioners feel it when they have to struggle to keep their wee cars on the roads ).

If there are enough people out there that have access to a computer and t'internet I am sure, if the other "running sores" can generate a commons debate with 100,000 signatures, that they too will be considered.

Pap, fuel costs effect everybody, State pensions do not. And that's the difference.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:23 am

SO....what you are saying to me is that all you are interested in is the pensioners plight with none of the other important needs of the British people - including the pensioners - being of any importance to you ?

That surprises me !

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:29 am

papa_umau wrote:SO....what you are saying to me is that all you are interested in is the pensioners plight with none of the other important needs of the British people - including the pensioners - being of any importance to you ?

That surprises me !

You know me better than that Pap
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:52 am

Then can you explain why, as you say, and I quote:

Pap, fuel costs effect everybody, State pensions do not. And that's the difference

When, if you agree that "fuel-costs effect everybody" you must also agree that they effect the pensioners who have to buy, run, and maintain cars and motorbikes and even petrol mowers ?

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 12:01 pm

papa_umau wrote:Then can you explain why, as you say, and I quote:

Pap, fuel costs effect everybody, State pensions do not. And that's the difference

When, if you agree that "fuel-costs effect everybody" you must also agree that they effect the pensioners who have to buy, run, and maintain cars and motorbikes and even petrol mowers ?

I am more concerned about those pensioners in fuel poverty, having to choose between eating and heating.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm

So am I, but my mind is not - unlike you it seems - tied down to just one cause.

I have always tried to give equal time and effort to help ALL of the people in Britain that are abused by governments corporations and individuals as I think that it is important that all of these victims need to have a voice that speaks for them too.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:17 pm

papa_umau wrote:So am I, but my mind is not - unlike you it seems - tied down to just one cause.

I have always tried to give equal time and effort to help ALL of the people in Britain that are abused by governments corporations and individuals as I think that it is important that all of these victims need to have a voice that speaks for them too.

Pap, I was in my 40's when I starting campaigning for pensioners, because I felt it was my duty as a younger person to do so. Todate I been a Labour activist priot to New Labour, and have formed two pressure groups that have failed due to jealousies and infighting.

I would say that if it had nor been for our oldest pensioners, none of us would be here today
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:09 am

You are still missing my point Ivanhoe.....

While I agree that the pensioners cause is a VERY important one I also think that the cause for getting fairness to all of the sick and poor and weak people in Britain should not be restricted simply because we have one "pet" cause.

Poverty and injustice hits many millions of people at home and abroad and because of this I will continue to fight for all of their needs.

YOU, can please yourself ! Crying or Very sad

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Post by Parliament.... on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:14 am

papa_umau wrote:You are still missing my point Ivanhoe.....

While I agree that the pensioners cause is a VERY important one I also think that the cause for getting fairness to all of the sick and poor and weak people in Britain should not be restricted simply because we have one "pet" cause.

Poverty and injustice hits many millions of people at home and abroad and because of this I will continue to fight for all of their needs.

YOU, can please yourself ! Crying or Very sad

Well yes Pap, I do entirelly agree with you, and yes, I am pleasing myself, not that "pleasing" is the word I would use ?
    Technician
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2011-03-08

Petrol

Post by Technician on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

Hi all,

This is good, but words are cheap. What we want to see is action. Witholding fuel duty (freezing)is a typical con. It does not even start to deal with the issue of us having the most highly taxed petrol. Don't hold your breath on this one, they will probably just ignore it as they do the EU referendum issue.

A report today said that sales of petrol were well down as people try to economise and they try and avoid using the car. This has resulted in a majot tax reduction for the government, which serves then ruddy right. The law of diminishing returns comes to mind here...forgive the pun, but lets hope it 'backfires' on them.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:27 pm

Yes Technician, that is the exact-same "law of diminishing returns" that we see when anything gets so expensive that people stop buying it and the plan to keep putting up the prices simply finishes up making less money, ( taxation income too - as you just said ), because less money is spent.

This idea also fits within the Tory-led austerity economy whereby because fewer people have less money to spend because of the wage-restrictions and the constant price-increases, this economy starts to stagnate and the recovery will take much longer to come about and there will still be the risk of a double-dip back into recession.

It amazes me that these fools cannot see this obvious result of too much austerity and too little income to pay for it.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 26 Jun 2017, 8:03 am