Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The latest online scam......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11927
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The latest online scam......

Post by papa_umau on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:58 am

I am sure that there are many lonely people out there that find it very hard to meet likeminded others so that they can become less lonely and this condition means that many of these people are wide open for fraudulent scams to be perpetrated against them.

Here is one such scam that is rolling fast out of control:

200,000 fall victim to internet romance scams in UK

More than 200,000 people in Britain have fallen victim to online romance scams, the first major university research into the problem indicates.

The scam involves frausters setting up fake identities using stolen photographs - often of soldiers or models - and pursuing their victims romantically through dating sites or social networking sites like Facebook.
    Once they have entered into an online relationships, the scammers spend long periods of time grooming their victims before pretending to be in urgent need of money and asking for help.
    According to researchers, victims have been persuaded to hand over thousands of pounds before their suspicions are aroused.
    The scale of the problem has been revealed for the first time in a groundbreaking study by researchers at the University of Leicester.
    The study, led by Professor Monica Whitty, a psychologist and Professor of Contemporary Media at the University of Leicester, and Dr Tom Buchanan, a psychologist at the University of Westminster, surveyed more than 2,000 people through an online YouGov survey.

If you want to read more about this scam go HERE to the Torygraph online.

NB.... To be able to read the Torygraph online on your computer you will have to have Acrobat .pdf Reader installed !

If you don't have it installed you can get it HERE for free.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: The latest online scam......

Post by zathrus on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:44 pm

Don't have PDF on my computer but I will take your word for it.

I suppose that lonely people have been targets for crooks for many years and that has not changed in the last few years. I guess that such folk should be much more aware of the possibility of them being scammed because of their sad plight.

Being a bit callous about it I have to say that they should be much more vigilant than they have been in the past if they do not want to get ripped off in this way.

Sorry, but I know that does sound a bit selfish ! pirat
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11927
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm

Yes, and the thing is that meeting people is a very easy thing to do if you are willing to work at it. I once remember a relationship advisor saying that the best way to meet people is to either join clubs that interest them or to do voluntary service as there they will find like-minded people that they can get to know before making that vital first move into long-lasting friendships.

The lonely-hearts clubs that can be found in the newspapers and online can at times be an expensive trap that only finishes up with the lonely person getting heartache and disappointment when every choice they make quickly falls apart.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 22 Jun 2017, 1:04 pm