Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Will "minimum prices" for alcohol-products hit careful consumers ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12201
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Will "minimum prices" for alcohol-products hit careful consumers ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 1:15 pm

After a bill proposing the raising of alcohol prices - per unit - up to a level that should cut down on alcohol abuses in Scotland was defeated by the Labour Party up here in Scotland during the last term of the minority SNP government, this bill has come back again now that the SNP have a full majority of votes in the Scottish Parliament.

NHS health experts and many GPs have been calling for this law to be introduced in an attempt to try to cut back on the very bad reputation Scotland has for alcohol abuse and the crimes that come with this abuse along with the massive cost it brings to the NHS.

The other side of this particular coin is that some consumer organisations are saying that this law will hit the pub and hotel trade very hard and will encroach on the freedoms of sensible drinkers who do not drink too much or break the law through drink, just as much as it will on the abusers.

This is a very contentious issue and one that is going to cause much friction with people who are for and against this plan.

What do YOU think of this idea, and do YOU have any better ways on how to solve the problem of alcohol abuse in Britain and especially in Scotland ?

( Please keep in mind that if this move is successful in Scotland it will almost certainly also be introduced in England, Ireland and Wales. )

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Will "minimum prices" for alcohol-products hit careful consumers ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

Boy am I glad that I don't live in Scotland as beer and spirits are expensive enough down here already.

Pubs are shutting by the droves down here in the midlands so I cannot imagine what such draconian taxation will do to the pubs in Scotland.

I mean, don't the Scots depend a lot on tourism ? If they do this is going to hit the tourist industry hard too.

Seems a silly thing to do if you ask me as it won't stop the hard drinkers from keeping doing what they have always done. The youngsters will also just pool their resources to buy any booze that they need.
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2428
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

Don't all governments use this trick when the want to excuse putting up taxes ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 6:30 pm